teardown and test of aliexpress silverfish 1kw ebike battery from

JesseW

1 mW
I took a leap of faith and ordered a battery through aliexpress. The seller is listed as "Sky Technologies" or their store banner reads "Shenzhen Sky Battery Technology Co., Ltd". They advertise "48v 1000w battery 48v 20ah electric bike battery 48v 20ah lithium battery pack use LG cell with 30A BMS and 54.6V 2A charger". It was $443 with shipping to Washington state. Just wanting to share what I've found to help others who are looking to order from an aliexpress vendor.

I've received this battery and used it for several discharge cycles on my ebike. I've taken the cells out of the case and inspected the construction and the cells. I've also hooked it up to a DROK digital multimeter and tested using a full discharge using a heater to consume the current.

Here's what I've found:

The cells have the marking LGGBF1L18650 on them matching the claimed LG F1L 3.4 ah cell that is supposed to be used in the pack.

AF1QipNwk6xrLJLLaCqqj--dM0mo8xO0L_DdzBOJjIc6

The cells are well connected with 4+ spot welds on the end of each cell connecting them to the metal tape that runs between cells. The tape is silver color, I can't tell if it's nickle or what but no corrosion is visible.

AF1QipO7iFswOTsoLl-QEOoCskcqtyacHI6qTyZPMuDt

AF1QipMDejDitffUqJV_uAOq0Ho-my083k8n11UVTxHX

AF1QipP_VEoxq8clUfE06N_fxE9kU982kqI8ZdvZJuYa

AF1QipOefw8eOiQqRWyLKw-us54L6bF8qWGJqKmKFAuH

AF1QipMtoKRPJ8M0JhvFhPznLKqCytPem3ZAgub6NVbS

The block of cells wrapped in heavy adhesive paper, not the best or most durable material, I may put plastic shrink wrap around them in the future.

AF1QipO62OqWB3yv4J_pzPqPAMXS3MraUEXF0Sf0xknT

There is a fuse in the case but it is not connected to the circuit so it's technically not protected unless there's something in the BMS that acts as a fuse which I don't know about.

The key switch acts as a fuse as I found out when I accidentally short circuited the battery. The key switch is wired in line instead of a relay as on some other silverfish batteries I've inspected which is poor construction but easy to fix if I want to. As it is the key switch actually acts as a fuse by failing when I accidentally short circuited the battery. I do like this key switch because unlike some other silver fish cases the key can be removed from the lock in both the off/unlocked and the off/locked positions. The lock pin was in a slightly different position from my other silverfish battery (from my '16-'17 Rad Mini) and so I had to drill out the lock pin hole on the mounting strip and dremel off some plastic bumps on the bottom of the battery to make it fit with my Rad Mini, not a big deal though.

AF1QipNHAsDU4VR-qXni0w3XGrY17lSzV0e1w_97eSgj

When I tested the battery after a full charge with the drok multimeter and a 5 amp draw it put out 17.9 amps at avg 48v, or 848 watts, before the BMS shut it off when it reached 35v. Looking at other tests of the LG F1Ls online (thunderheart reviews) it seems like a pack of good F1L cells should have a 19.2 amp output before reaching 35v. That may be because these cells are slightly inferior, maybe B grade, or it could be my testing setup which isn't high quality. At any rate it's close so I DON"T think they're a low quality counterfeit cell.

AF1QipOYJeXkp-mjIibyVD2hjtJf5Ow1X8gFmAm2bgTc

AF1QipMa6hFeoaT0DwVg6umzD7S7AREappUakn451FQQ

Everything arrived well packaged and just like pictured with first test of performance within about 5% of what I expected so I'm quite happy, especially since the price is quite good. You can read more about my ebike project on the Endless Sphere ebike forum.

Check out the photos, I tried to put them in the post here but if they're not viewable see link to album below. I'd be interested to hear what you all think about the quality of the cells, the BMS if anyone recognizes it from the pictures (how likely is it going to burn my house down?), and my testing technique, the Drok multimeter seemed like the best way to do it for <$20, I'm not interested in spending the money on a high quality meter at this point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uQ38oRwrHGwrrNzH9

:D :D :D

Yep none of the images display on my Android, neither in Tapatalk nor when launched in Chrome.

album link worked fine

Not real likely to burn your house down. None of them are real likely. Battery fires are very rare, compared to the numbers of batteries out there. But you could easily get as "lucky" as I did.

Charge it outside is going to be my advice, forever. Storage should be safer, especially if not full charged overnight. My mistake was going to bed with a battery charging in my garage. I meant to shut it off after it filled, but I fell asleep early that day. An hour later, it filled alright, and then some, because a cell went off and then the whole pack lit up. We were lucky it made so much noise, and it woke up my wife. We got out alive.

Sadly, I still forget I have batteries on chargers sometimes. But now its always outside.

Back