Teaser Speed Controller

I have been side tracked on the final testing for the controller ( but I am waiting for some more fets to arrive anyway) BUT I have been making a stand alone throttle interface for it which I think would be a very good addition for any controller, so far the interface has a throttle lockout i.e on power on, the controller e-brake must be on ( can be a small switch on handle bars ) while the e-brake is on the interface tests to make sure the throttle is at a minimum setting, if the throttle is not at its min it will then hold the e-brake line low and also disable the throttle output even if the handle bar switch is turned on ( throttle lockout & controller disabled on fault ), There is also a 2 position switch for the 'mode' of throttle response position 1 (default) doubles the resolution of throttle i.e min to WOT =50% speed this also uses a momentary switch on the left handbar that when pressed changes the resolution to 100% speed ( this is just the same setup I have been using on the little standard 6fet controller that I have and it works a treat), position 2 of the switch puts the throttle into a log output mode i.e very fine control over the first half of the throttle range but ramping the resolution down the nearer you get to nearer to WOT ( this is what is really useful ) . The interface also sets it self up for use with a hall throttle or a pot throttle ( so no padding resistors to mess about with). I have only just finished the prototype and not fitted it on my bikes yet but on the bench it works very well but a little more testing to do.
So the question is can anyone think of anything else that might be useful to program into the interface ? . Also if anyone is interested in having one let me know as I was not planning to make extras but if peeps would like one I dont mind making a few extra when I come to finalise it.

gwhy! said:
The interface also sets it self up for use with a hall throttle or a pot throttle ( so no padding resistors to mess about with).

what does this mean?
is the interface self learning the endpoints of the throttle? if not, could it be made this way?

gwhy! said:
So the question is can anyone think of anything else that might be useful to program into the interface ? . Also if anyone is interested in having one let me know as I was not planning to make extras but if peeps would like one I dont mind making a few extra when I come to finalise it.

since its fairly early days for me in the ebike world there's not much more i can think of, so long as the CA and regen is in there...

and yea, I'll put my hand up for one o those 'extras' :twisted:

or are you just talking in regards to throttle interface? in which case what you've done sounds good to me so far.

What would really set your controller apart from everything else would be that the throttle controls power and not speed setting.

I would be up for the lowest power controller to test out if you have time to build one....am in UK.

nieles said:
gwhy! said:
The interface also sets it self up for use with a hall throttle or a pot throttle ( so no padding resistors to mess about with).

what does this mean?
is the interface self learning the endpoints of the throttle? if not, could it be made this way?

If using a pot throttle ( starts at 0v ) so there is a big dead spot at the start of rotation the throttle voltage needs to be around 1.3v before it start to drive the motor this is not as bad with a hall throttle as the voltage starts at around 800mv so the interface automatically sets the initial output voltage no matter what type of throttle is used of 1v. the final WOT voltage needs to be around 3.8v and the interface caps the output a this voltage, if the voltage is higher than this the controller will cut out ( infineon controller ). On a side note I believe ( I have not tested this ) that this is how the infineon acheives 110% or 120% speed increase ( and dont do anything with the timing ) through the programming, it just allows the max voltage to be higher on the throttle input as hall throttles will output a max voltage of around 4.6v. If anyone have tested this or know for definite that the speed increase is done though timing then I will not bother testing this for myself.

sn0wchyld said:
gwhy! said:

since its fairly early days for me in the ebike world there's not much more i can think of, so long as the CA and regen is in there...

and yea, I'll put my hand up for one o those 'extras' :twisted:

or are you just talking in regards to throttle interface? in which case what you've done sounds good to me so far.

The CA will be able to be fitted to the controller and looks like it should be pretty straight forward to do. My controller will not do regen but motor braking will be doable.

Spacey said:
What would really set your controller apart from everything else would be that the throttle controls power and not speed setting.

I would be up for the lowest power controller to test out if you have time to build one....am in UK.

I may look into this once its setup for my needs first and it has been tested, There are a few spare inputs and outputs available on the chip I'm using for the throttle interface so there is scope to do other stuff with it. Where abouts in the UK are you? .

gwhy! said:
If using a pot throttle ( starts at 0v ) so there is a big dead spot at the start of rotation the throttle voltage needs to be around 1.3v before it start to drive the motor

Easily adjusted to this with a Magura (Pot throttle) without even taking it apart, coicedently
this is around what i needed to adjust my Magura to, to get it working well with the RC_Cycle analyst...

Good news keeps a comin' GWhy, good stuff ;)

KiM

Spacey said:

you can achieve this with the CA, hence why i'd want that on the controller... I havent done the conversion yet myself, but those that have say it works pretty well. A controller level one may work better though, im not sure...

I may look into this once its setup for my needs first and it has been tested, There are a few spare inputs and outputs available on the chip I'm using for the throttle interface so there is scope to do other stuff with it. Where abouts in the UK are you? .

About 20mins drive from you :)

Spacey said:

About 20mins drive from you :)

Not far at all, cool, maybe we will have to meet up and take the bikes out for a thrashing :D .

In addition to dual throttle (speed switch), is a switch of dual settings of current limits possible?

Can't wait for the 100A and up test results.

John

John in CR said:
In addition to dual throttle (speed switch), is a switch of dual settings of current limits possible?

Can't wait for the 100A and up test results.

John

It would be possible on the controller that I have built without to much major fuss but on a existing controller ( as everyone like to mode there shunts ) it would involve a little bit of tweeking. It looks like it will not be for a few more days now before I can road test my controller ( I am still waiting for some more fets to arrive ) and I would also like for the thrttle interface to be be tested at the same time and its not quite finished, I have now included a lipo voltage monitor/indicator that will shut down the controller LVC into the interface.

We really should organise a South Uk or anyone in UK if they can travel South lol... meeting. Or organise a race meet someday soon...but that's for another thread.

I will gladly take one of your newer controllers off you to test.... for a price of course, a setting for a sneaky on road and off road switch would be brilliant if possible. I was thinking embed it in the end of the handlebars so just a quick press and bang 250W max he he.

Spacey said:
We really should organise a South Uk or anyone in UK if they can travel South lol... meeting. Or organise a race meet someday soon...but that's for another thread.

I will gladly take one of your newer controllers off you to test.... for a price of course, a setting for a sneaky on road and off road switch would be brilliant if possible. I was thinking embed it in the end of the handlebars so just a quick press and bang 250W max he he.

I would do it more sneaky... if throttle is in full speed position when powering up the controller -> unrestricted mode, if throttle
is anywhere else -> legal mode. Then you can give the bike to a cop to try and be sure it's in legal mode while it's still
easy and unnoticable when you turn it on for high power mode

Lebowski said:
Spacey said:

I would do it more sneaky... if throttle is in full speed position when powering up the controller -> unrestricted mode, if throttle
is anywhere else -> legal mode. Then you can give the bike to a cop to try and be sure it's in legal mode while it's still
easy and unnoticable when you turn it on for high power mode

Im gonna try and use a reed switch as a power switch... not sure how reliable it'd be under vibrating conditions etc but with a small magnet sewn into your glove you've got a undetectable, automatic 'power glove'...

that is untill the cops gun magically flies out of his holster and attaches itself to your wrist.

in reality though I'd like this... Mid you how would you 'restart' your high powered bike in order to get your low power limit??

sn0wchyld said:
in reality though I'd like this... Mid you how would you 'restart' your high powered bike in order to get your low power limit??

When the cop pulls you over you throttle down and switch off the controller. If the cops wants a go (to check max speed)
you switch it back on again with the throttle not at max -> legal mode.

Lebowski said:
is anywhere else -> legal mode...
An inventive way of doing it ... provided there is another interlock (e-brake, pedelec ...) to prevent the bike from taking off at full throttle :oops:

I'll take one. I looked into building a Jh one, beyond my skills I think. Would suit my ped conversion :D

Great work

gtadmin said:
Lebowski said:
An inventive way of doing it ... provided there is another interlock (e-brake, pedelec ...) to prevent the bike from taking off at full throttle :oops:

You have to of course program it such that you first, after power on, need to wind the throttle all the way
down before it activates the motor

Lebowski said:
gtadmin said:
Lebowski said:

You have to of course program it such that you first, after power on, need to wind the throttle all the way
down before it activates the motor

I have been having a little think about this and it would be very easy to implement on my throttle interface but I dont like the sound of having the throttle wide open then enabling the controller so what about power on (default slow mode ) engage controller disable, open throttle to max, select a different mode ( while still WOT ) switch back to default mode then close throttle then re-enable controller, this will then have 100% throttle until the controller is turned off again ( or something along those lines).

some pics:
View attachment 1
And Oh yes we have some reinforcements turn up :D These were everso cheap 8) so I thought I would give them ago ( I would rather blow these up than the pucker jobs :lol: )

not as high a spec as the pucker ones but still worth ago.

I'll keep some money aside for grabbing a test unit off you, I'd probably need 65amps and below on an 18S Lipo setup. This in conjunction with Bertie's advanced ignition timing board that I have will be all I need to move away from Sensorless....I can't put more than 35 to 40 amps through the HS3540 with sensorless without it juddering harshly.

Spacey said:
I'll keep some money aside for grabbing a test unit off you, I'd probably need 65amps and below on an 18S Lipo setup. This in conjunction with Bertie's advanced ignition timing board that I have will be all I need to move away from Sensorless....I can't put more than 35 to 40 amps through the HS3540 with sensorless without it juddering harshly.

The only problem we have there is the fets that I have are only rated for 75v so running them on 18s will be asking for trouble, there is a 100v version of the pucker fets but I didnt buy them because of the price :? Once I have finished testing with the fets that I have and I'm happy with the controller if you buy a set of the higher voltage fets I will put them on a board for you to get them ago if you wish.

Spacey said:

Hey Spacey,
What controller are you running?
I am using a 12 FET Lyen mark 2 Sensorless and my HS3540 is very happy running 18s at 65 amps. :mrgreen:
My son is running the same as me except in a BMX and 20s at 65 amps.

I am on the south coast too, well on the Isle of Wight. :D

@Planky Maybe it's this controller then as it did this with the 9C I had and Beavinator had the same problem with his HS3540. Anything above 35amps and it loses sync really bad so I have to feather the throttle. Once the volts go down by a volt or two then it gets a lot better. Not sure if mine is a mark 1 or 2, have had it over a year now.

@gwhy! Sorry I meant 16S my fully charged voltage is 66.2v. I charge to about 4.12v and discharge to 3.8v on my 17.4Ah of Lipo and still apparently have 40% left in the tank. 12 mile WOT ride with a none modded HS3540. Think I will drill some holes in it like the 9C.

Spacey said:
@Planky Maybe it's this controller then as it did this with the 9C I had and Beavinator had the same problem with his HS3540. Anything above 35amps and it loses sync really bad so I have to feather the throttle. Once the volts go down by a volt or two then it gets a lot better. Not sure if mine is a mark 1 or 2, have had it over a year now.

@gwhy! Sorry I meant 16S my fully charged voltage is 66.2v. I charge to about 4.12v and discharge to 3.8v on my 17.4Ah of Lipo and still apparently have 40% left in the tank. 12 mile WOT ride with a none modded HS3540. Think I will drill some holes in it like the 9C.

66.2 volts is still boarder line for 75v fets I know on paper they should be fine and yes you could probably get away with it with a hub motor , OK I will keep it in mind when the time comes :D

Your controller chucks out insane amps though? I would probably utilise 50% of that so should help with headroom :)

How come you can get so much power without the overheating and over sized usual Chinese type offerings....without giving away any secrets

Back