Thoughts on this 14s Charger

melodious

100 kW
After my search for a Thunder 1220 charger (which seems to be out of stock) I stumbled upon a 14s charger from the same company. Maybe they phased out the 12s (44.4v) for the convenience of the 14s (51.8v)?

[youtube]5rL4vXjEtKc[/youtube]
minute 1-6: model features, minute 6-13: setup features, minute 13-end: actual charging of a 3s & 10s battery

Too expensive to use as a 12s charger imo. You really need a 1400W 32V or higher PSU to power it, if you want to reach max charge rate. I'm pretty aure you will be limited to ~650W charge power on a 12s pack unless they've changed that in firmware. If the cost isn't a problem for you, it should work great.

I should just step up and just solder the RC LiPo to a BMS rated for the contoller I'll be using, then bulk charge to my heart's delight using Grin's Satiator.

melodious said:
I should just step up and just solder the RC LiPo to a BMS rated for the contoller I'll be using, then bulk charge to my heart's delight using Grin's Satiator.

Yes you should. Only soldering I did for Bestech D167 is/was attach JST connector to the BMS harness and add my power leads w/connectors. All my bricks are left stock.

to answer your original question. the reason for 14S as the limit on the balancing charger is because the mosfet used for switching is rated to 55V.

you should remove the lipo from the shrink wrap if you build a battery up from HK packs and remove the heavy plastic tape wrapped around it over the top and bottom and then solder the top of the lower pack to the bottom of the upper pack with a short solid 12AWG copper wire and remove the big 10AWG silicone wire altogether. remove the HK JST plugs and wires, and then solder on the BMS sense wires. order some 9 pin plugs off ebay to plug the cellogs into and solder those leads to the battery or the BMS sense wire plug pins on the BMS.

the shrink wrap and tape distort the lipo packs and damage them so the lipo battery should be built just like ping builds his lifepo4 packs, except instead of shrink wrap you should use 1/8" hardboard end plates the size of the pouches, compress with a clamp, and then wrap the entire assembly in duck tape while it is compressed. that will help get the longest cycle life from the lipo packs.

the BMS will protect from shorts on the output and from over discharge and it will allow the pack to balance under the bulk charger, just like the balancing chargers.

Back