Thoughts on throttle taming?..

Thinking about this further there are some others that I should mention.

Another commercial ebike controller that I understand has torque throttle is Adaptto. I have no experience with that unit.

Also I have heard that Kelly has the feature on some models, again I have no experience with them.

The Bafang BBSHD has a torque mode which I use. The BBS02 may have the same. The PhaseRunner seems smoother than the BBSHD, which in turn is much smoother than the typical trapezoidal controller.

Alan B said:
Thinking about this further there are some others that I should mention.

Another commercial ebike controller that I understand has torque throttle is Adaptto. I have no experience with that unit.

Also I have heard that Kelly has the feature on some models, again I have no experience with them.

The Bafang BBSHD has a torque mode which I use. The BBS02 may have the same. The PhaseRunner seems smoother than the BBSHD, which in turn is much smoother than the typical trapezoidal controller.

This is a very good tip. I can use BBSHD controller with display and throttle. This is actually a fantastic idea. I will test that. Thank you.

Hello Ebike fans, I bought a throttle tamer around a year ago from a guy in Melbourne's southern suburbs. He had an amazing array of every kind of bikes E and also internal combustion. His business was hidden down a laneway and i was always wanting to visit him again, but after my phone took a trip down the loo I've lost his number and any other contact details. Any Melbourne based Ebike fan know his name and number? He had an old campervan parked in his yard.

Cheers and Thanks

Dave

I agree. With a torque command throttle, you don't need any taming. You have to go full throttle to get full torque. With cheapo controllers, a small but sudden throttle increase can produce maximum power.
Does it just have something to do with the controller or are there also differences in the throttle used

If a throttle has a very limited physical range that causes zero to full voltage output, then it can mean that it is difficult to precisely control that output, especially if it's a thumb or a full-grip throttle and the road is very bumpy. That then will affect the controller's output, if it is "instantly responsive".

That's one reason a variety of cheap controllers use some form of throttle reaction delay (some quite long) so such things don't affect them as much (because they often come with such limited throttles).

A hall throttle with improper magnet placement or design could be setup to have too much of the output range down at the zero-end, so it changes too quickly from zero to some high value.

If using a potentiometer throttle, and it's very old and worn out, you can also get glitches in the output (same as with a "scratchy" volume knob on a stereo).

But if you use a throttle with sufficient physical range to have good control over the zero to full voltage output, then it's probably not affecting the controllability of the system very much.

Back