Throttle mods for drop bars.

RayB

10 W
Has anyone seen such a beast? I have been looking through the threads and cant find anyone who has drop bars with their ebike. At the moment I have a thumb throttle on order and am hoping I can somehow hack it to be decent on my setup. Any interesting ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

I have.

I have a thumb throttle on the left side. I made a special mount for it by silver soldering a shaft to a jubilee clip.

One thing to watch out for is that drop bars are slightly larger diameter than the other types, so many things won't fit easily.

Nick

Yup, GMC denali has mtb sized bars that are in two peices, chopped at center and mtb twist shifters near teh stem. I've thought about getting one just for the bars. CCM medalist seems to be setup similary, but I'd bet any road bike that had mtb shifters somehow fitted onto it near the stem should be able to fit an throttle.

Otherwise I've thought about converting a left side aero brake lever into a throttle keeping the right as brake, this along with having the motor pump something like 75-200w when the brake switch is not engaged, with an ajustable pot possibly under the saddle, so you can use all body positions the bar gives you, but also with an emergency throttle should you ever need that for some reason.

Also, a BionX can be fitted on pretty much any bike and it feels almost just like riding a normal bike except for the very slight lag in the throttle. The accelerator, if you get one, would be mounted on the console thingie out of the way near the stem so you can still use all body positions no problem.

Tiberius said:
I have a thumb throttle on the left side. I made a special mount for it by silver soldering a shaft to a jubilee clip.

Do you have pictures of this setup? I'm currently using an old aerobar to hold my twist throttle close to my brake hood and would rather use a thumb throttle while my hand is on the hood.

pat_smtih said:
Tiberius said:

Do you have pictures of this setup?

Here goes

throttle168.jpg

throttle171.jpg

With this throttle position, I had to fit a short extension to the end of the handlebar. It would be more comfortable if the throttle were moved forward a bit, but I don't know how easily this can be done without fouling the brake lever.

I'd like some way of operating the throttle while riding on the top of the bars. I might just add a 2nd throttle and combine them electronically or I might try a lever arrangement to operate one throttle from two positions.

Nick

Not much of a mod that I have done but it has been working well for me this past week. I used one of those rotating space grips and ran it off my stem so it hold the thumb shifter just under my drop bars so when I am cycling with my hands resting on the top of the bars my index/middle fingers can pull the thumb throttle towards me to control the motor.

I tried it mounted in back but was getting pains with the way I had to extend my thumb. Anyways, it is one option...

10gh2ja.jpg

Back