• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Throttle style

Frank

100 W
Hi everyone:

I'm interested in opinions on throttle style (thumb versus regular Magura style). I've been riding motorcycles a long time and am used to regular throttle but there may be advantages to the thumb lever type too. Open to any comments, opinions, etc.

TIA

I started with a full-twist throttle, and added a thumb throttle to my LH bar end (for cruising, it's great).

For a primary throttle I don't like thumb throttles - they get in the way of the gear levers.

However I recently broke the full throttle, going over a big bump at 40km/h. My weight came down and I over-rotated the throttle past it's end stop.

So I converted the replacement to a half twist/half grip throttle (with a hacksaw). Now my weight is born on the fixed part of the grip, instead of the plastic end-stop in the throttle.

Then I broke the thumb lever off the thumb throttle...grr.

Mark_A_W said:
I recently broke the full throttle, going over a big bump at 40km/h.
Then I broke the thumb lever off the thumb throttle...grr.

Good thing they are only $12 or so.

I use the LH thumb throttle on one bike and LH half twist on another, not because I'm a lefty but because the best gears are on the right side of the handle bar which I'm clicking constantly.

Being a long time motorcycle rider, I'm used to the full twist, but after riding the Vego, which came with a half twist, I can say I like that too.

I've used a thumb throttle on an ATV and really didn't care for it. I suppose it would be good if you had to wear very heavy gloves.

Like everyone else, i'm a fan of the half-twist ( what i have on all my 5 bikes )

If your bike has twist shifters, the thumb throttle might be a better option if you canot slide your shifter higher up on the bars ( some bars are tapered and you canot go higher than 6" with the grip )

If you have thumb and index shifters the half or full twist work best.

I find that the half twist lets me apply X amount of throttle then you just hold the whole grip to keep a steady pace.. but it's not that big a deal no matter what.

I have a thumb throttle on the big scooter and I hate it. this is one that I use a a cruiser and I think the full twist will get moved to that and a half twist will get put on the folding scooter. I used to have a trigger style and liked that but I think it would get broken with the folder going in and out of the trunk/boot. Oh and it wasn't a hall type throttle anyway :)

Back