Thumb Throttle Upgrade?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
I have two seemingly-identical thumb throttles and the ergonomics work for me.

But they both want to stick in the WOT position. It seems tb associated with a little bit of the aluminium liner peeking out once the set screw that secures it on the bar is tightened. There doesn't seem tb any way to keep it inside the body. You tuck it in, hold it in, and then tightening the screw seems to squeeze it out. To the extent that I can partially mitigate it, the throttle does not stick as much....

viz:

It's not a religious issue or anything bc it can easily be flipped back up with the thumb.

In fact it's a bit of a convenience when changing gears with the same hand - keeps the power on during the gear change.

But overall-quality-wise, I've got to wonder... and what will happen with exposure to a driving rain?

Like I said, the ergonomics work for me so the scooter lever described in another thread doesn't call out to me.

Has anybody found a higher quality thumb throttle?

The two thumb throttles I have - one from daoji666 in China, and one from TheLAShop in California (who gets them from China) - are fine. Neither has ever stuck in any unexpected position.

The pic looks a bit like the throttle is on the bent part of the handlebar, possibly aggravating the problem. Different bars might help, or lenthening the one you have with a bit of wood pounded into the end may allow it to work better if my suspicion is correct. Upgrading to shifters intgegrated to the brake levers allows the use of half throttles that fit normal bars better.

Back