TSDZ16 Had Stability issues -- Resolved: Torque Sensor was replaced

OutbackIdaho

🔌 New-ish
Joined
Jul 16, 2023
Messages
45
Location
Payette, Idaho
Greetings from Idaho

Had a Bafang M625 for 5 years but batteries became extinct. Decided I had enough of ghost pedaling. Swapped the Greenspeed Magnum XL over to a TSDZ16 motor. Have been working on this all through my staycation to not much avail. Cannot get past 10 MPH no matter the speed setting on a EKD01 display.
Note: Am quite aware of the torque differences on the Nuvinci (60 nm) and TSDZ16 (160 nm).
Came here because this forum is quite famous, and a lot of experienced individuals reside here. :)


Bought my TSDZ16 from Johnny Nerd Out along with two 48V 17.5Ah batteries. Have no issues getting to 10 MPH, and the speed was increased to 35 MPH, although had a higher setting with no change. I don't plan on going over 28 MPH if I can help it, cant wheels are scary at that speed.

What I have tried or done"

  • It's not in Street Mode, is currently at its maximum near maximum speed of 35 MPH.
  • Have it set to 20" wheel size, even tried 21" as I have 20 x 2.15 Schwalbe Pick-Up Cargo E-bike tires. 1640 circumference.
  • Have tried moving the speed sensor from 3/4" to up close and personal, no change. Have a Bosch magnet to install that just came in.
  • Mode 5 gives an easier pedal, yet no speed increase past 10 MPH. Feels like the display/motor is not unlocking, and I'm ghost pedaling at 10 MPH...
  • Does not matter what mode I am in, there is no sustain in power nor any speed increase. When my personal speed lowers the power kicks back in at 5 MPH.
  • Have spun the snot out of the pedals and no change. Think I do 50 to 60 RPM on my own. Plodding along or fast pedaling makes zero difference to output.
  • Throttle really gets with the program and it zooms up with maybe half a turn of the chainring. Boom! Stops at 16 MPH. Again, feels like something is not unlocked.
  • Have satisfactory get up and go from pedaling anyhow as was used to that on the M625.
  • Have tried various gear ratios on the n380. The hub is still functioning.
  • Put on the 42T chainring when I was assembling the motor. Do have a stock 44T chainring, but the 42T is more sleek.
  • Speed sensor is on the back wheel. Used a nylon bracket with a speed sensor mount to offer better angles to spoke/magnet.
  • EKD01 has SW: EKD01_TB_N22 & HW: B02NU_V1.01
  • Anderson connectors... plan on swapping to XT60's once I can get this thing to get to 16 MPH on its own. (Warranty thing)
  • Factory Reset on EKD01 did no good, tried a few times in fact.
  • When I had the Bluetooth app connected, it did not show any updates. Bluetooth is disabled when I am riding, don't trust it. Heard rumors it can set the motor to Firmware settings, overriding the display.
    Can get between 6 to 10 MPH, then no increase no matter what mode I select. I'm perplexed. Bench mode I can hand pedal it to 10 MPH with effort, and bench test works. Actual road test however...

YouTube bench test - Appologize for the breathing, long days - not enough sleep trying to figure this thing out.

YouTube road test, Garmin recorded the on screen displays, camera recorded the EDK01 display & cadence of my plodding. Was tired. Am tired.

Thus I am totally perlexed as how to proceed. Should I install the OEM rear wheel with cogs for a test? About the only thing I can come up with.
 

Attachments

  • 726517480_27417656961200430_8174539786220054547_n - Copy.jpg
    726517480_27417656961200430_8174539786220054547_n - Copy.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 4
  • 723728249_27356248470674613_1547287932838808817_n.jpg
    723728249_27356248470674613_1547287932838808817_n.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 4
Mud-Wire Guard was returned. One tapped screw hole was stripped out by someone ... guessing they were using a powered driver.
Going to find some glue with metal fibers to fill the hole and reset the screw back in.

Also had ordered an OEM version of the 46T chainring which came with a plastic chain guard.
There ought to be more rigid chain guards available. The plastic versions I don't think will last very long, as the small bolts that attach the guard are meh at best. --> Are there places that may have better chain guards that are 3D printed maybe?

Also replaced the chain. May end up having to replace the cassette if the chain skips. $100 + shipping for a Capreo-style Cassette 9sp (9-28t).
 
Back
Top