TSDZ2 with broken motor shell casing

Zambam

1 kW
I was given this box of parts from a TSDZ2 kit where the motor die casting shell snapped in half during setup. A replacement casting is available for $50 shipped TONGSHENG TSDZ2 electric bicycle Mid Motor die casting shell motor case or motor cover

Before I order the casing, I'd like to power it up to see if the controller works and motor spins. Is it ok to power it up with the torque sensor connector disconnected (2 pin white connector with red/ blk wires)?

I've been reading up on the TSZD2 and found these helpful links to take it apart. Please post if you have other useful ones.

IMG_3064.jpeg

IMG_3063.jpeg

I got the motor cover off and connected the torque sensor connectors. Anything else I should check before I hook up a 48 V battery to the XT90 connector?

IMG_3066.jpeg

Last edited:
Well she runs!

I bench tested it with 48V battery and she runs. I need to find a replacement casing (new or used) before I can install this kit in my Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour. This will be my first conversion. My main objective is to see if I like pedaling with torque sensing. I hated pedaling with PAS because of the delay in the assist and not being able to fine tune the amount of assist (too much even on the lowest setting), such that I ride my ebikes throttle only. I am not against pedaling. Maybe torque sensing on a mid drive will get me back to pedaling.

I see you have a throttle. It's good for testing a pile of parts, but in actual ebiking you will find it very disappointing compared to a cadence bike hub motor kit. None of the traditional kick you expect from a throttle. Oh well, you'll find out.

I see you have a throttle. It's good for testing a pile of parts, but in actual ebiking you will find it very disappointing compared to a cadence bike hub motor kit. None of the traditional kick you expect from a throttle. Oh well, you'll find out.
Is it only disappointing using a throttle on a mid drive? What if I do not use the throttle and pedal the mid drive like an unassisted bike?

He's just saying the unimpressive power of the TSDZ2 means the throttle isn't like the throttle on a more powerful hub motor. That being said I often ride my TSDZ2 bike with the throttle only and torque sensing only and they are both quite nice but you do have to be in just the right gear the motor wants to really get moving. Also the OSF firmware and a 52V battery helps but for pedaling it's very nice at reasonable power levels, at higher power levels the pedal assist still works assuming you have the torque sensor calibrated well but it's less natural since it's a bit more power than you're putting in.

Since I'm assuming you're using this bike for faster road use I'll give you my experience with that. I mostly ride the bike off road but did use it a bit on the road and I was able to get up a little bit above 20mph with it using higher pressure faster XC tires so you'll do better with road tires. I was never able to get it to not skip on the smallest cassette cog but I expect it might be possible with some tweaks to the derailleur for more chain wrap but a big front chainring helps so you can use the middle cogs more. While you've got the motor open some temp mods would be a wise idea, plugging my own stuff but a heatsink shim (link below) goes a long way to preventing overheating.

He's just saying the unimpressive power of the TSDZ2 means the throttle isn't like the throttle on a more powerful hub motor. That being said I often ride my TSDZ2 bike with the throttle only and torque sensing only and they are both quite nice but you do have to be in just the right gear the motor wants to really get moving. Also the OSF firmware and a 52V battery helps but for pedaling it's very nice at reasonable power levels, at higher power levels the pedal assist still works assuming you have the torque sensor calibrated well but it's less natural since it's a bit more power than you're putting in.

Since I'm assuming you're using this bike for faster road use I'll give you my experience with that. I mostly ride the bike off road but did use it a bit on the road and I was able to get up a little bit above 20mph with it using higher pressure faster XC tires so you'll do better with road tires. I was never able to get it to not skip on the smallest cassette cog but I expect it might be possible with some tweaks to the derailleur for more chain wrap but a big front chainring helps so you can use the middle cogs more. While you've got the motor open some temp mods would be a wise idea, plugging my own stuff but a heatsink shim (link below) goes a long way to preventing overheating.
If I am pedaling (torque sensing), does the throttle still work if I want to gain speed quickly? It will only be used on city roads with speeds between 10 to 25 mph. There are no steep hills around here. Do you think I will need your heatsink shim?

Do the casing fail like mine often? The new case half that I need is $75 shipped, not $50. If I can't find a good used one at a reasonable price, I may consider buying a new motor (around $230) and use my motor as spare parts.

I've only used the OSF (firmware) but I assume it works the same so yes the throttle works at the same time exactly like that. If you want to cruise around even on level terrain above around 10-15mph some cooling mods would be a good idea, mine got pretty warm even with the heatsink shim at above 20mph. The cooling design of the motor is intentionally terrible.

I've only seen the casing break when hit very hard on something like a rock, so pretty rare. Honestly while I love my TSDZ2 and I've had much better luck than many with it there is no way I would buy one now over a Toseven if I wanted something like it. The Tosevens yes a bit more expensive but still not CYC money and seem to solve all of the numerous problems of the TSDZ2.

I've only used the OSF (firmware) but I assume it works the same so yes the throttle works at the same time exactly like that. If you want to cruise around even on level terrain above around 10-15mph some cooling mods would be a good idea, mine got pretty warm even with the heatsink shim at above 20mph. The cooling design of the motor is intentionally terrible.

I've only seen the casing break when hit very hard on something like a rock, so pretty rare. Honestly while I love my TSDZ2 and I've had much better luck than many with it there is no way I would buy one now over a Toseven if I wanted something like it. The Tosevens yes a bit more expensive but still not CYC money and seem to solve all of the numerous problems of the TSDZ2.
Is OSF firmware not what originally came from Tongsheng? I have to figure out how to get into the KT-LCD3 menu to find out what version firmware is on mine.

Checked out your your site. Some pretty cool stuff! I have no need for high power flashlights. Air rifles are illegal here otherwise I'd be interested in one. I'll buy a heatsink once I procure the casing.

Back