Straight to Turbo on TZDS2

DWood

1 µW
Hi! Any suggestions how I can get my TZDS2 to stop taking off in turbo mode as soon as I put my foot on the pedal regardless of the level of pedal assist showing on the VLCD-5 version 3.6? My upper speed limit is also limited to 15 miles/hour (close to 25 km/hr). I've put a little under 3,000 miles over the past several years and the PAS has worked as it should and my speed was only limited by the maximum rpm on the motor. In the last couple of months this issue has appeared intermittently and now with more frequency. I tried the hidden menu solutions explored by Akita (New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor") without success (though I could have sworn that my options for location had included more than just Europe (I'm in the US). I've also spent a couple of unsuccessful hour looking for solutions elsewhere on the internet.

A potential clue is that my lights don't work when the problem is present.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Given the intermittent nature of the problem, plus a separate identical-timing lighting failure, it sounds like a connection or wiring fault.

Thanks @amberwolf! I disconnected my lights (since that is where the (likely poor) wiring connections that I made are) without improvement. My next thought is that the controller on the inside of the motor would be my next target for attention.

Does it make sense as a non-electronics-oriented person to look at this as a replace the component thing? If so, do you know if I should anticipate that the new controller and old display firmware might not collaborate well?

If there were poor connections causing the lights to not work that were only to the lights, then disconnecting the lights wouldn't help, because it wouldn't be just a bad connection, it would have to be a short circuit that would then overload whatever was providing that power. That usually damages the source, if not the first time then after multiple times, and that usually leads rapidly to a permanent failure.

If it's an intermittent problem and the added wiring has been removed, and the problem still occurs, then the wiring and the lights are not the issue, and the rest of the system's wiring, external and internal, is still suspect.

Problems can include but are not limited to:
--loose connections between plugs
--poor crimps or solder connections anywhere in the wiring (at PCBs, back of connector pins, etc)
--broken wires anywhere in the wiring (usually at bend points or connection points, like exits of wires from housings or connector shells, etc).

Hardware problems such as controller failures are not usually intermittent, unless they are also caused by connection problems.

You can check the big TSDZ2 threads to be sure, but it is likely that the lighting control comes from the display and not the controller, and all of the assist levels and limits are also there, so it's most likely that your problem is at the display.

BTW, if your lighting is not original that came with the TSDZ2, you should check that the power usage of the lighting didn't exceed what the power source could provide--it is usually a teeny tiny amount of power available, maybe a few watts at best, from these displays--exceeding that can damage controls or regulators, and depending on what else is powered by those, may cause other unwanted behavior.

Back