Turn signal/brake light kit, do we want one?

knox1138

10 mW
I was wondering if making a turn signal/brake light kit us something the e-bike community is interested in. I'm gonna make one for my next build, and was curious how interested other people are.

Can you make it with self-canceling turn signals? Maybe 30 seconds after actuation, or 100 meters, whichever happens first?

knox1138 said:
Ya, it would cost more and I could.
Cool! What I really want is a bicycle version of what my 1976 Yamaha RD400 had. The turn signal switch was auto-centering after actuation and also acted like a push-button to cancel the turn signal. It used a hall sensor in the speedometer and a smart-circuit to calculate time and distance.

I asked Justin if he could work something like that into a future version of his Cycle Analyst. He said he'd consider it.

If:

it's 12-16V (or has a DC-DC to run off typical ebike battery voltages)

and

it is a large-surface-area type, so the high brightness of the lights it will need is not a point source but is rather spread out over at least a span the size of a hand, for each light,

and

the turn signals are separable from the tail/brake light to be mounted farther apart and/or in different places than the T/B,

and

it either comes with at least four turn signal units or can drive at least four and they are available separately,

then

people like me might be interested. (I myself don't have funds for them, most likely, but others that want lighting like me would be potential customers).

All kinds of lights desired for those who routinely ride at night. You simply cannot be too noticeable if you ride at night all the time. I do it so rarely myself, I'd have no interest in anything more than typical bike lights.

Years of daytime riding on motorcycles taught me that absolutely no one sees your turn signals or brake lights in the daytime. Only a fool would think using your turn signals will insure other drivers will give you some space.

I'd venture to say few see them on cars in daylight as well. I certainly take a turn signal as a guarantee that a car will do something different, so I more or less ignore turn signals from all other traffic, and assume the car or truck will try to kill me whether riding or driving a car. I just focus on what the car is actually doing, and assume that every vehicle will abruptly turn into my path.

I was going to get the x5 rear light on lunacycle.com but after looking up some videos I am not to sure people would notice the blinking light due to them being so close to the center. I ride a recumbent and would love a rear brake/turn signal light that wide or have options where you can plug in an extension turn signal light so you can run it wider on the body.

Well so far the schematic I made is for a run/turn/brake setup that would use motorcycle style lights and switch to control them, except for brake lights that would be controlled by an e-bike brake. All 12v.

Well, if by multi-voltage you mean I throw in a inverter to take voltages from 24-48 down to 12 then yes, if by compact you mean something you can mount on a seat stem or rear racl then yes, and if by visible you mean plenty bright enough for over 150' then yes. Granted, you will have to run wires from the handlebar switch and e brakes. I'll show a mock-up video after x-mas.

Something the size of a hand palm? Well, if you're Andre the giant then yes, and up to 90v? Anything is possible for the right price!

In my opinion...No, we don't want them.
If the E-Bike is set up within legal parameters...standard hand signals are fine.
If the E-Bike is overpowered and illegal technically...the last thing we want is attention.

Legality differs greatly by location. In some cities by me any bike with a motor is considered a moped. Which means it legally needs a brake light and horn.

Leebolectric said:
In my opinion...No, we don't want them.
If the E-Bike is set up within legal parameters...standard hand signals are fine.
If the E-Bike is overpowered and illegal technically...the last thing we want is attention.
Even the police here don't know what hand signals are or mean (I've been waved at when I was giving a right turn signal by hand, then they went ahead into the spot I was going into anyway, indicating they didn't have any idea I meant to turn there...just one among many situations over the years before I started using lights instead). Regular drivers, especially those younger than me (I'm in my late 40s) almost universally seem to not know what they are or why I'm sticking my arm out at some weird angle.

Turn signal lights and brake lights, however, EVERYBODY understands, even if they ignore them or they don't use them themselves.

I've even been thanked by police (and firemen) for having "proper" lighting.

So I'd much rather use these than hand signals that aren't understood.

The more universal the communication method, the more likely it will be understood and quickly.

My own bikes are perfectly legal where I live (might not be in other places), and ridden at or below the 20mph limit placed upon us here. (technically 19.999999999999~mph, but I doubt anyone will quibble about that ;)).

Regarding compactness, keep in mind that the smaller the light is, the less likely it is to be seen, even if it's bright. The larger it is, and the farther away the turn signals are from the body of the vehicle (wider spaced), the more likely they are to be seen and understood, and the less likely they are to be misjudged.

I've done a fair bit of experimenting with various homemade and manufactured lighting over the years, and I can see better reactions with the above vs smaller lights narrowly spaced.

But almost any lighting is better than none, especially at night when it's not nearly as likely that a hand signal would be seen even if they understood what it was. ;)

Each to his own, but I'll stick with lights. :)

Good points.
I just go for a bright flashing red rear and at least 1000 lunins of led in the front...cars avoid me pretty well.
....so far...:p

If there were a setup with turn/brakelights of motorcycle brightness I would buy it in a heartbeat for both trikes. Motorists do recognize them here even if many don''t use their own.
otherDoc

Back