Turnigy HXT 80-100 Motor - data, real world results?

Tiberius

10 kW
The HXT 80-100 motor seems to be one of the highest powered ones, and not too pricey.
Eg: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5142

I think a few people on here (Greyborg, KiM, Luke, Dan...) have worked with them. How are you getting on?
Does anyone have a link to a proper datasheet? The hobbycity site lists two versions with different windings; the Kv and Resistance numbers are consistent, which is a good start, but there's no mention of max speed.
Anyone know what rpm are these motors good to?

TIA

Nick

Tiberius said:
The HXT 80-100 motor seems to be one of the highest powered ones, and not too pricey.
Eg: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5142

I think a few people on here (Greyborg, KiM, Luke, Dan...) have worked with them. How are you getting on?
Does anyone have a link to a proper datasheet? The hobbycity site lists two versions with different windings; the Kv and Resistance numbers are consistent, which is a good start, but there's no mention of max speed.
Anyone know what rpm are these motors good to?

TIA

Nick

I can infer a minimum bound is 180*48 = 8640 RPM.

I set mine up to have extremely good active cooling.

I use the 130kv version. Once I did a sensor setup, I hit them each with 100amps at 100v. They take it fine, and actually stay pretty cool.

liveforphysics said:
I set mine up to have extremely good active cooling.

I use the 130kv version. Once I did a sensor setup, I hit them each with 100amps at 100v. They take it fine, and actually stay pretty cool.

Luke,

Does that really imply 13,000 rpm?
And was that continuous? If my sums are right, 100 A would give 320 W copper losses, which is about twice what I'd expect it to handle without special cooling. What was your cooling system?

Nick

Its tough to explain all the cooling stuff.

I'm confident my cooling design could handle over 1kw of heat continously without the motors reaching a danger temp.

The faces of the stator were lapped on a miliing block with 1000grit to ensure a totally flat surface with no anodizing.

They each bolt with 8 well torqued machine screws into a 1/2 plate of aluminum, which was also lapped. A tiny smear of artic silve paste was added before final mounting.

A giant sized CPU cooler with high speed fan was mounted roughly 1/2" away top and bottom on the same 1/2" thick aluminum mouting bar. The fans are thermostaticly controlled, and rarely have ever turned on, and they are set to turn on at 110F.

Lots of thermal mass, as I was sure to make the mounting system intigrated with the cooling system. Extreme surface area on the cpu heatsinks to maximize the ability to transfer the thermal energy into the air.

Its easily double or tripple the cooling of something like an Agni motor mounted in a conventional way.

Tiberius said:
Is there a downside to these motors, compared to the inrunners?

For instance, is there an issue with running them in dirty, dusty or damp environments?

Nick

I have my outrunner attached to my scooter which is *right* in front of my rear wheel, so it basically gets everything that the rear wheel flings onto it. The motor itself seems to fine with the debris and dust that gets stuck to it (magnets nor wire seems perturbed), but the motor's front bearing seems to get dirty and "grindy" fairly fast (I'd imagine the same would be true of an inrunner). With moisture, it seems mine did not have any problems with the moisture, other than rusting in exposed areas. The motor itself didn't have any rusting as far as I could tell, it was mostly the mild steel on my scooter's frame and the set screws on the timing pulley.

When I took my outrunner off the scooter for servicing, a tiny tack apparently became attracted to the magnets and found itself scraping against them inside the motor. I had to remove it by taking apart the motor which wasn't particularly fun. Aside from these occasional annoyances, I haven't noticed a big problem with outrunners and dirty/dusty/damp environments.

Back