• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

at the first picture take a look at the fork... its not noleen or girvin and theres actually no suspension there .. but its stylish :)

Not a fan of the red one the first two a very nice, the second is similar 'profile' shape i will be building my next bike...

Shelves all organised threw out heaps of junk.... shall disassembled the exercise equipment tomorrow
and look at making a frame jig...

KiM

AussieJester said:
p.s Matt.P dunno if your interested but Mick said these come through his work often
if you need a new fully adjustable bench he said he can get you one for nix they
go into his works scrap metal bin :)

That's awesome Kim, I would love one thankyou very much.

Cheers,
Matt.P.

1000w said:
AussieJester said:
p.s Matt.P dunno if your interested but Mick said these come through his work often
if you need a new fully adjustable bench he said he can get you one for nix they
go into his works scrap metal bin :)

That's awesome Kim, I would love one thankyou very much.

Cheers,
Matt.P.

No worries Matt shall let Mick know to save the next one that comes in... :)

KiM

Time is near, a new thread will be made very soon to document the next
build! YES i have decided i shall be making a new bike to fit the 2 Speed ThudSTer
box into!

Last few days i been pottering around in the workshop making a
frame jig, here's a peak at the near finished jig sitting on
my new workbench (have asked Mick to put aside next table that comes in for you Matt...)

IMG_5482.jpg

As mentioned before (and pictured IIRC) i have used old exercise equipment to make the jig
it is fully adjustable so it will be kept and used for this and future frame builds :)

I am not going to do a carbon fiber frame this time round, with recent 'expenditures' i simply
don't have the ~500 bucks for materials chromo is also out at this time as there are no
local steel suppliers that sell it all chromo comes ex-east. Only place i can get hold of it here is from fabrication
shops that tack a sizeable sum on top for themselves :-S So..i shall stick with mild steel however i am dropping
wall thickness from 2mm to ~1.5mm to reduce weight but still have more than enough strength.

What style frame i hear a few asking...Do any of you know what a BasMan frame is? no need to hit up Google-->

hzfront1800.jpg

^^this is a Basman framed bike, i will be basing my frame on this with the exception of the
bottom bar/ground clearance, i shall be raising this 3-4in ...I will be using mtb forks whether
they are triple trees variants or not will depend on what comes up on Ebays, i will also be
using 24in x 3in tires as per pictured on the bike above... The battery enclosure(s) will be made
from carbon fiber. I hope to get the bike 15kilos (77lbs) lighter than the rc motored Cruiser
and am confident this will be easily achievable.

The RC Motored Cruiser will remain untouched, the M.S Reduction Drive will be fitted with the Turnigy motor rewound by Thudmiester until
either the new bike is ready/and or I can pick up a replacement HXT or Colossus motor, either way motor aside NO PARTS will be
(permanently) robbed from my cruiser this will be geared down slightly to put less strain on the motor when
towing thw wheelchair up hills. It will be my 'daily rider' and thus not thrashed to the extent it has been, i expect it to
be alot more reliable as a result...

Look for a new thread in the non-frock motor section soon!

KiM

EDIT: hahaaa...couldn't resist upping this pic of a more stock looking BasMan 346 as it has a Harley Davison behind it and i know my physics lovin' buddy Luke
has much <3 for the HD :p ...did sick just come up in your mouth Luke :mrgreen: :lol:

4666913437_86d63a4cb5_b.jpg

Holy double pasted info batman!

Looks good mate, as said in PM I think you better make 2 :wink:
Who are the steel suppliers out east ? I'll look into it for my own build (that still won't be finished by the time you have 3 more bikes built :lol:)

BTW, this thread needs another page of posts to hit the century before you retire it :)

I finished of the jig today and Picked up the tubing this arvo 1.6mm wall thickness compared to 2mm with cruiser frame...31.8mm OD for large tube and 21mm for the smaller tube that will be used for rear section of frame...all excited starting new frame! shall start bending up some tube tomorrow! Either Saturday or Monday i am off to look at donor bikes, need to source a 1 1/8 head tube from somewhere close.. anywayz... I Have 6m of each size tube, enough for prolly 4 frames, or 3 and some frock ups haha cost~55 bucks all up...

KiM

I'm glad your bike broke AJ, finally a new build!! That jig looks awesome, especially on that table, what a score!! What color scheme will you be doing on the next one AJ? Those basman look good with the suspension forks, any rear suspension on the next one? Air ride? :mrgreen:

Air would be cool for sure! DOO IT! Now I can watch the master put one together while I do mine!Do I get some cool points for going R/C? LOL!

recumpence said:
I have seen wheelchairs (OK, just one) that had hub motors. I think some are designed that way.
And some even have their battery mounted with the motor in the wheel; these batteries I've got came from them.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=237794#p237794
They're a little overpriced, though, at over $1000 per battery pack pair:
http://www.southwestmedical.com/products/E-Motion-Battery-Packs-17449.html
Don't even look at the motor price...
http://www.southwestmedical.com/products/EMotion-M12-Push-Rim-Power-Assist-Wheels-2305.html

file.php

Just posting to make the talley 100 pgs LOL!

Realy though, Kim's been awfully quiet the last couple days......he may have the new build ready for my additions before I even get the motor deliverd to me here.....watchyo dooin Jester? wherya at?

+1 for the 100 not out!!

Nice! You can keep a low center of gravity with motor/trans/pack in the bottom of that monster triangle (?) :D

Almost new thread time......ring the bells!

Kim, what are you using to amke your bends with?
just an form on the bench cold forming ........or maybe some heat?
I really like the lines on that new bike....really!

I use a cheap and nasty hydraulic bender Thud, not ideal
for this sort of work leaves impressions on the tube
I love the shape of the basman frames too,
they look mad with 3in rims and chunky tires, still haven't found
a suitable head 1 1/8th head tube though :cry: .

KiM

I have a five inch piece that you can have if you want if you can't find something close to home. I went to check out this frame shop a few blocks away and asked them what size tube I needed for a 1 1/8" steer tube and the guy just handed me a tube I only used half of. Cool guys, cool bike shop. The place is called geekhouse, and they do their own powdercoating. Some of the pimpinest powedercoats I have ever seen.

Kim, Did you try that one I posted up for you? it comes in an 11" piece I think it was...

AussieJester said:
Wants this...minus the frock motor obviously :p -->

View attachment 1
That looks very similar to the frame design I was after that I photoshopped early in this thread. 8)

hyenacruiser1.jpg

Drewjet gets to 100 page prize!!!

Nice job Kim. Looking forward to this build. It will be fun to see Thud's 2 speed in another bike.

Clay

OH yes...Indeed it does HiGHSiDE :shock: its like i am looking at a copy of the picture i posted :lol:

Matt.P has bought me up yet another frame with a 1 1/8th head tube, it
is a stock westcoast custom frame, big thanks to Matt for that!

IMG_5496.jpg

I have had a bit of a crap time getting the front downtube bent to my liking, finally
got it 'right' this arvo required sleeving and joining two bends...same
deal as the blue cruiser. The bender dents the tubing worse than the thicker tubing
used on the cruiser too, shall smear some bondo over it be fine ;)

haha 100 pages...time for a new thread... shall edit in link

KiM

Hi AJ, looks good
AussieJester said:
I have had a bit of a crap time getting the front downtube bent to my liking, finally
got it 'right' this arvo required sleeving and joining two bends...same
deal as the blue cruiser. The bender dents the tubing worse than the thicker tubing
used on the cruiser too, shall smear some bondo over it be fine
That's what I found with my tubing with 1.2mm wall thickness, so I'm using your solution. Damn, you'll have your second build finished before I get my first one done. Oh well :!:

Cheers mate,
GT

Back