Two questions about Batteries?

I have two questions about batteries what is the difference between 19.2 amp hour battery and a 20 amp hour battery?
Is one better than the other?

I have been told to buy 48 volt batteries and stay away from 52 volt batteries is this true or is there a reason?

Thanks in advance

Cryingmadman

On paper, the 20AH battery has 4% more energy. In practice, which battery has more energy depends on the quality of the cells. I'd rather have a 48V17.5Ah battery made with Samsung cells than a 48V21AH battery made with no name cells. As for those 48V blue shrink wrapped packs marked 100000mah, you couldn't pay me to take one.

You have to make sure your bike electronics can take a 52V battery. If someone doesn't know what you know, then he'll tell you to use 48V just to be safe,

As for those 48V blue shrink wrapped packs marked 100000mah, you couldn't pay me to take one.

Cheap no name cells are capable of catching on fire. Not worth saving some $$$ if your house burns down. I recommend LIFEPO4 or LTO but if you use Lion / LiCo or LiPo get a name brand as stated above and store and charge somewhere safe that can not catch something on fire. A barbeque grille in a garage or basement with a cement floor is an example. Also never run that battery type low or overcharge.

most 48V controllers have either 60V or 63V caps. There is a significant performance increase over 48V at 14S lithium. I like 55 to 56V. Also for reference 14S lion or lico charges at 58.8V.

58.8 / 4.2 = 14.

for LIFEPO4 58.8V / 3.6 = 16.3 so 16S. 16 * 3.3 = 52.8V. For LTO 2.5 * 22 = 55V and 58.8 / 22 = 2.672 charging voltage.

For LIFEPO4 2.6V is maximum charging voltage when considering motor failure. 2.8V for LTO and 4.2V for liCo and LiPo.

Motor amps are more important than voltage as too many amps will destroy the motor. When overvolting you may want to actually lower amps some by a BMS , controller or both. For brush , 12V over motor rating and brushless can usually handle up to 24V more.

I hope this helps.

Skyler.

Last edited:
I have two questions about batteries what is the difference between 19.2 amp hour battery and a 20 amp hour battery?
Is one better than the other?

I have been told to buy 48 volt batteries and stay away from 52 volt batteries is this true or is there a reason?
All else being equal, the 20A battery will provide a bit more power than the 19.2A, but you won't be able to feel the difference. If you mean a 20Ah battery vs a 19.2Ah battery, then again, all else being equal, the 20Ah battery will provide slightly more range, but you may not detect the difference in normal day to day riding.

lf someone told you to stay away from 52V batteries, then you should be asking them why, then report back. That way we'll know if there's a legitimate reason, or if they're full of crap.

The most important thing about a battery is the quality of the cells used to make up the pack, so if the 19.2A battery is made with quality cells and the 20A was Chinese generic cells, I'd get the 19.2A battery without hesitation.

Back