VPI - Vacuum Pressure Impregnated motors

DRL

1 mW
In another work life I was involved with Heavy Component Rebuild of very large mining and locomotive traction motors. One aspect of electric motor service life after rewinding and so forth was a process known as VPI or Vacuum Pressure Impregnation of varnish to the devices, this was applied both at original manufacture and subsequent rebuild.

The advantage of VPI is....

For every 10 degrees a motor runs over its rated temperature. the life of the insulation in that motor will be cut in half. A motor's ability to dissipate generated heat into the atmosphere is a part of its calculated efficiency, as well as its effective life span. When a motor is dipped in varnish and baked air can get trapped in the windings. Air is a very poor conductor of heat as opposed to a solid mass. Vacuum Pressure Impregnation provides maximum protection of the winding with minimum coverage. Too often many coats or multi-dipping of varnish creates a heat jacket around the winding which restricts heat dissipation.

In essence VPI is a vacuum chamber into which the device is suspended, once all air is removed the varnish is introduced yielding maximum penetration, then the vacuum chamber is pressurized ensuring even further saturation of windings with no air voids.

The VPI Process

In the VPI chamber the vacuum process removes all air and moisture from the windings
The regulated vacuum draws the solvent less resin through out the windings from an adjoining vessel
A calculated and timed pressure is applied and forces this resin into the copper windings, tape and any empty air pockets or voids
The final process is achieved by curing the stator or armature in the temperature controlled oven creating a solid mass which is an excellent conductor of heat

Use Vacuum Pressure Impregnation in All:

Medium and High voltage equipment
Direct current field coils and armatures
Motors with inverters as power source
Problem motor applications

Since adopting ebike transportation 5 or 6 years ago as my "retirement" mobility means, and since getting interested in the (mostly sketchy) tech of EV it crossed my mind that VPI could be a great process in achieving a more efficient, reliable motive and controller component for the EV world, making a sows ear into an ev silk purse :)

Although there are commercial treatment places they are more geared to very large applications and are probably cost prohibitive (maybe).

It may even be feasible to cobble up a miniature VPI type "machine" useful for treating components before they are used thereby extending service life, reliability, efficiency and rated output, anyway, probably just an idle thought from an old codger but!!!

I am thinking EV VPI cottage industry type thoughts :)

Anyway, just thought this may be interesting for some who like pushing the envelope :)

Would be awesome if it was introduced in the manufacturing process. It would also be great for high performance motors. I'd love to have it done to mine.

But for most people, it would have limited use. these motors are generaly so over built and under used that any extra process would just put the price of a kit further out of reach for many people.

Drunkskunk said:
Would be awesome if it was introduced in the manufacturing process. It would also be great for high performance motors. I'd love to have it done to mine.

But for most people, it would have limited use. these motors are generally so over built and under used that any extra process would just put the price of a kit further out of reach for many people.

Likely so DS...

However such treatments in the established (matured) electric motor/control manufacture is all but a de facto standard... it has been around for decades, almost not an option for any serious electromagnetic drive systems.

In bulk or volume I would imagine the pc costs would be very small.

In any event it is sometimes interesting to see the way things should or could be, I know that a VPI'd induction motor can be run submerged in water as an example. If some canny motor manufacturer went the extra step and claimed VPI standard builds it could give them a noteworthy market edge in the field of EV motors and controls.

It seems there is a faction of home-brewers who are prepared to explore and invest in kit that yield superior performance, longevity and reliability, attributes that could raise the confidence level of potential ev converts.

I say this because many forums are dedicated to trying to overcome what seems to be a dirth of substandard tech - a struggle a lot of casual interest adopters of EV may find a bit disturbing or even off-putting, encouraging the manufacturing base to move forward and improve is always a good thing. As far as costs, some of the contraptions marketed now are NOT trivial expenditure... and often are not the best tech they could be for the price asked.

The other side of the coin are self sufficient types like me lol.

6 years ago I put $700 into a no name no brand Chinese made cargo bicycle, it looks a bit goofy but having ridden it flawlessly for those many seasons I have to say - I lucked out big time. I expected to have to do all sorts to keep the beast rotating (touch wood).

So far 5 - 48V light bulbs has been the only upkeep - not counting batts.

A bit more about VPI

Back