Wayne’s Dengfu Carbon Fibre FS 27.5” with Bafang M600 (throttle also)

Thanks for the info Andy. I was not aware of the UART version of the M500 / M600 and a canBus version. Not even sure what the difference would be.
Even though my bike is working now its not smooth and kind of frustrating. The replacement controler and display from FLX let me get back on the road but the Besst tool I bought from Luna will not recognize this new FLX controller so I can not load up decent firmware. Luna never said the besst tool will work with m600 from other suppliers so I can not blame this for this I just wanted to try as it seems like the besst tool is the only option at present for chaging power settings.

Right now the throttle is working but a bit too jumpy compared to the originaly controler and the main issue is the pedal assist is very jumpy. I even bought a new controller and display from Luna but the besst tool wont regonize it when the parts are powered up with my motor for some reason so its just a real mess at this point. At least I am on the road under power so thankfull for this.

Something I have noticed that is very weird is --- if you power everything up and pedal the bike with the power level set at "0" and then keeping tension on the chain as in not letting the bike coast then if you toggle the power button up to power level "1" it will behave very smoothly much like original controller but it will only work smoothly as it should until you start coasting - as soon as you pedal again after the bike has done some coasting under the power level 1 setting the old choppy power delivery rears its head. Weird but very repeatable. So then If I turn the power level back to "0" and then pedal again and keep pedalling while upping the power to power level 1 then I get good smooth power again but of course one ends up coasting as some point and then its back to this crazy start up procedure to make things smooth. Pain in the butt for sure. One day when I have an extra $1000 bucks i will just buy a complete new motor and display and be done with the issues and have the spare gears etc from the old motor may come in handy at some point. This is my plan for now anyways.

waynebergman said:
Yes RoyRoy, as far as I know you need to make sure a replacement display is compatable with the controller you have and if you are needing a repplacement controller it needs to be compatable with the display you have. When the time comes make sure your supplier knows what will work with what before ordering any replacement parts. Regarding the different colored controllers I bought mine so early in the game I must be one of the few out there that needs the green colored board but not sure on this. I regret not following my own advise to others and that was to buy a full replacment motor at time of purchaseing the bike.
Hope this helps Roy. .......wayne

Cheers, it helped quite a bit. I’ve been making notes as i read through all these threads. Initially i was looking at a Frey bike with the Ultra motor, but it was WAY to expensive with freight and the crappy AUD conversion, but I’m glad it didnt pan out now, as after reading everything the M600 will be more than enough power, possibly too powerful and it should destroy a lot less chains, cassettes and hubs.

I’m actually buying the E10 as a complete kit from a shop locally, I might ask them if they can get me the same revision motor as a spare, if not I will check the display version information when the bike arrives and see if I can possibly source another full kit minus the battery.

I think with any motor / electronic item, its not a matter of ‘if’ it will fail, but when, and having the same model spare will probably save me a LOT of pain in 2+ years.

It’s scary to think that i could crash and bust the display and I’m then in a world of hurt sourcing a new one. Still mind boggling that you cant buy specific version spares from Bafang direct.

One question in regards to the firmware situation with these motors, I’ll probably get the BESST tool - is there an easy way to know when new firmware is released and is there any info from bafang on whats changed and a release matrix or anything like that?

I am not sure if the besst tool will work with motors that are not purchased from Luna. I may be way wrong on this but if you buy it from Luna it most likely will work with their LUNA motors but if you buy it from another supplier it may only be able to work with their motors. Not sure about this but who every you buy the besst tool from ask them if it will work with your motor and give them serial numbers etc. If the suppier you want to buy the besst tool from can not say for sure it will work with your particular configuration then you may be taking your chances.........wayne

Hi, I decided to make adjustments on my m600 and no one had BESST tool for sale so I ordered it from europe.
Tool works on my luna motor, motor with FLX controller and one that came from china. And I tried on it on BBS02.
Tool will work on bafang products, the issue is software version. New versions will not allow for speed changes so you need to find old version and not update. I saw posting on Luna's forum with old version : https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/main-forum/general-discussions/118423-x-1-m600-besst-firmware-programming

I have just purchased a new Luna X2 so I am selling my Size Med Dengfu M600 mid drive featured in this thread. Long story short - the bike is still in great shape, new battery and controller in the last year, tires good and overall the bike is in great shape. The main issue with this bike for me is for technical single track riding the delivery of power is too jerky. This may not be an issue for someone that is heavier in weight or wants to use the bike for open country, rolling hills or road riding. This bike is 50lbs with new battery, torque assist and throttle, CF frame and rims. I have it listed on local craigs list for $2700 in the phoenix area. I am in Mesa Arizona for the next two months and the sale is for local pick up only and is offered to ES members for $2500.00. Current photos can be seen here at the craigs list listing https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/bik/d/mesa-dengfu-full-suspension-ebike/7437570197.html and the full history and story - the complete good bad and ugly is documented in this thread. PM me for more details if you are interested........wayne bergman

Yes I did actually get the X2. The X2 is 5 lbs heavier but I am not so worried about this fact. Contributing to the extra weight is probbly from the rims not being CF like the original Dengfu bike, also the bigger battery pack at 820wh and also the coil over rear shock and I am guessing the front forks may weigh in a bit more that the orig Rock Shock spec but all the items above are an improment in my opinion. Never been a huge fan of the CF rims anyways so just as happy with the Aluminum rims. I dont need the extra range on the battery pack but glad I have the 820 wh because when the pack gets old it will let me maybe get a few extra years out of it with out the voltage sag the smaller pack will give when starting to get to the end of its service.
The bike is really nice and costs the same as my original dengfu import from china.$4500 usa delivered to my door including taxes and shipping. Luna i think no longer shipps to Canada so because I am in Arizona now it was perfect timming. The bike was delivered to my door in Arizona 2 days after ordering. This bike is a winner for sure. Super fun to ride and the suspension is an improvment over the 09 frame. Also it comes with the shorty crank arms (a must in my opinion) nice dropper post and saddle, throttle etc etc. Cool bike.
I sold my old Dengfu for $2500 and the new owner knows all the good and bad regarding the old bike and he is happy with it. I also sold my old Skumma hard tail fat tire to fund the new bike for $1100, it was the one with the HD1000 drive. So all in after selling the two old bikes I spent an addition $900 for the upgrade and happy about it.....wayne

So you are happy enough with the forks for now? I already have a sweet Shimano E8000 bike with a Pike that I love. But I am probably going to buy an X2 for the Ludacris power and to try something with a throttle to use at my friends land In Arivaca, AZ. Steep hills and deep sand. To see how well I could keep up with his gas bikes at an explorer pace. 200 acres surrounded by federal land.

Back