What is this type of connector called?

Hi would anyone be able to help me identify what type of connector this is, so I can order more of them as I quite like them and they're on a few things I want to connect to. They look like they're for quite thick wire and it looks like some type of JST to me but I don't recognise it

I am thinking of using this type of connector for my battery wires if the amperage capacity is suitable

20231107_030948.jpg

20231107_030931.jpg

Thanks 🙂

It’s not standard for any battery connectors, what model/brand bike was this on? It might be easier to use another connector and replace the existing ones with something standard

The housing is junk Chinesium, the connectors inside are common spade plugs like you'd find at any auto parts store. They're not very good for efficient and consistent transmission of lots of amps.

Either Anderson Powerpole 45A crimped connectors or XT60 soldered connectors would be a big improvement over what's in the picture, and a better choice to standardize on.

If you just want cheap and nasty, SAE trailer plugs would carry juice at least as well as the one you have, and are ubiquitous everywhere in the USA. Maybe there's some UK equivalent you could use. Are EC5 connectors common there?

(EC5 left, SAE right)

s-l1200.jpg

Sure looks to me like a common blade connector/push on connector inside of a particular housing.

41450.JPG

As Chalo stated above, there are better choices.

Quality gold ;) (sarcastic)

I've read on the forums about those connectors melting when pulling a load, like going up a hill. Factors include the quality of the wire, the quality of the connection termination, then the quality of the terminal (blade).........

You think you got quality at the price point you purchased your item at?

Molex is good for a standard connector and its widely available anywhere. But I do not believe they have high amperage units, not until you reach Anderson PowerPoles that go up to weld gauge wires or shall we say cables?
I prefer XT90 from Hobbyking because I have fat fingers. XT60's just that much smaller. Conical 4mm type cone connectors, term is sensored I bet, also 5.5mm and around 8mm <<<biggest I've seen, maybe 120A but keep a reasonable window, say 100A max.

There is the 3-way xt60 style that is cool, remember the difference between solder connector and manual friction connector needs the tool to, sometimes expensive tool, but there are counterfeit tools for us hobbyists on the cheap. The closure of the connection is important, heat shrink is good, triple it up. I could never deal with small connectors, I bought a bag from grin in van, I used a few but they are hard to handle.

Amass is the XT90 brand I use as I just had a quick look at what I had on my desk. I like the recessed plastic stating - or +, I like the fact you can get yellow or black, I like the fact you can buy pairs or packages of singles. I always have way to many of the connection covers, I always have mixxed set and end up with needing the just the one. Then I end up ordering more, always. Thanks Hobbyking.

Skip the Automotive grade connectors.

Last edited:
Quality gold ;) (sarcastic)

I've read on the forums about those connectors melting when pulling a load, like going up a hill. Factors include the quality of the wire, the quality of the connection termination, then the quality of the terminal (blade).........

You think you got quality at the price point you purchased your item at?

Molex is good for a standard connector and its widely available anywhere. But I do not believe they have high amperage units, not until you reach Anderson PowerPoles that go up to weld gauge wires or shall we say cables?
I prefer XT90 from Hobbyking because I have fat fingers. XT60's just that much smaller. Conical 4mm type cone connectors, term is sensored I bet, also 5.5mm and around 8mm <<<biggest I've seen, maybe 120A but keep a reasonable window, say 100A max.

There is the 3-way xt60 style that is cool, remember the difference between solder connector and manual friction connector needs the tool to, sometimes expensive tool, but there are counterfeit tools for us hobbyists on the cheap. The closure of the connection is important, heat shrink is good, triple it up. I could never deal with small connectors, I bought a bag from grin in van, I used a few but they are hard to handle.

Amass is the XT90 brand I use as I just had a quick look at what I had on my desk. I like the recessed plastic stating - or +, I like the fact you can get yellow or black, I like the fact you can buy pairs or packages of singles. I always have way to many of the connection covers, I always have mixxed set and end up with needing the just the one. Then I end up ordering more, always. Thanks Hobbyking.

Skip the Automotive grade connectors.
I just avoid connectors all together. Ends up being impossible to diagnose or repair but no melting connectors!

Back