What kind of helmet do you use?

CZ9hIl.jpg

I was drunk. My bike handles like shit at low speeds. I was going too slow, and I made a sharp turn up on to my raised (about 4") concrete porch. Mind you this isn't from hitting the concrete. This is from hitting a plastic dumpster. At 1 mph. It was enough to stun me for....I don't know how long I was out. Pretty scary since last night was below freezing.

The ironic part is that I just ordered a helmet that day. I wonder if it would of saved my face, or would the face shield just of shattered and poked my eye out?

Attachments

• IMG_3599-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3599-Optimized.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 5
OW. :(

I'll probably start wearing this one soon, as the weather gets cold enough to warrant warmer clothes anyway:
View attachment DSC03707.JPG
I found it at Goodwill's half-price-on-everything sale today, and not only did it fit just fine, nice and tight, it doesn't smell funny :) or have any wear on the pads, or cracks, or even any really serious scuffs from road use (just stuff that looks like it came from being in piles of stuff in the store and handling).

It has vents that can be closed (though i don't know how much good they'll do at speeds I'll be at)
View attachment DSC03708.JPG
DSC03709.JPG
And apparently it's designer didn't think potential wearers were going to be all that intelligent:
DSC03710.JPG
If you need an arrow to tell you which way to put a helmet on, you probably shouldn't be riding anything that requires one. :lol:

It's gonna get a dayglo paintjob, though, and some reflective striping. ;)

Kingfish said:
Thanks for the good references; I ordered this off of Amazon:

All possible colors and multiple views shown here. Black is the least expensive.

I’ll provide a review once I put it through a few Seattle rains. The shipping weight is about 3.6 lbs which is about ½ of a motorcycle helmet, though 3X that of a classic bicycle helmet. At the speeds that I am going a dinky bike helmet won’t save me, and this is an appealing option nestled in-between the two classes.

~KF

OK the helmet arrived yesterday. The exterior was good enough, but the interior is supremely disappointing. I have written up the full review here, and I shall keep looking.

With big sigh, KF

I tested out the black one I show in my last posts in this thread, whcih I recently got for $12.50 at goodwill's half-price-day sale. I used it for my work commute today and it kept me a lot warmer (was 48F when I left for work this morning) without making me too hot (was 72F when I left work for home this afternoon), and it isn't too heavy (3-4lbs? don't have a sensitive enough scale to be sure). Since I'm really used to wearing just that rollerblading helmet, it's a little surprising that this one would not bother me at all. My regular helmet is a little heavier than a bike helmet typically is, being hard thick plastic over the styrofoam core, rather than thin vacuform that could split open or disintegrate, but it is not very heavy.

Helmet Discoveries

Today – after returning the Milano back to Amazon I hit a couple of local motorcycle shops in search of R E A L helmets to appreciate the finer points up front and personal. Privately I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. :oops:

At the Kawasaki dealership we reviewed my goals:
  • Lightweight
  • Motocross styling
  • DOT-road legal
  • Full-Face shield
  • Ventilated
I had done some more diligence on the web so I was prepared for the sticker-shock. Still – looking at web pages is lame when you can just go down to the store and touch the stuff, weigh it in your hands, appreciate the craftsmanship (or lack of), directly inspect the crucial pieces like the chin strap, and compare that with other helmets. But more importantly – understand why the dealer sells particular models and get his take on them. :idea:

We looked at full-face Off-Road helmets and I discovered that they are evidently street-legal in Washington State. Times have changed: When I bought my motocross helmet in California back in the 80’s they were verboten from street use! Still, finding a face-shield for one would probably not happen off-the-shelf. Scratch that idea: Next.

Then I considered a full-face street helmet. The man had an impressive rack of Shoei helmets, a model which I had been looking at earlier in the day: RF-1100. This is one sweet helmet! The weight is about 3.6 lbs – the same as the Milano, though vastly superior in quality all around because it is made in Japan. The dealer had me compare this weight to a typical street helmet (he grabbed one off the next rack) and the difference was night and day; the RF-1100 is feather-light relative to a standard street helmet. This speaks volumes of quality all around, plus it comes packed with nice add-ons.

It is not for those on a budget, however it will last and last. My first motorcycle helmet that I bought new was a Shoei and I put it through hell. I finally had to toss it out after it became damaged after moving from one house to another. I think that if a driver were riding faster than they could pedal, > 45 mph/72 kmh, this helmet would be a great investment for that light-motocycle class on up. For a fast ebike though I don’t think the ventilation would keep up. I found it on Amazon for $45 less than the dealer price, and $60 less than the MSRP. This was the closest helmet in the store matching my requirements. Next.

I went to the Yamaha dealership and simplified my request to just looking for a full-face helmet with a shield that was lightweight. I did the browsing on my own – lifting several and inspecting when I espied another leading candidate from my diligence: The Shoei Hornet-DS. Again, an extremely nice helmet - but then I’d end up gushing over this one too. It is not a helmet for an ebiker or budget-conscience. I did try it on and it immediately began to fog with determined heavy breathing. This is when I considered changing my spec again; the full-face helmets will all have these issues with ebikes. What about an open-face solution?

Enlisting the dealership staff to find something suitable, we came across this option: HJC IS-33 Helmet. This was the lightest helmet yet at 1350 grams/ 3.1 lbs. The open-face provided plenty of ventilation and made it difficult to simulate fogging conditions. This particular model has a sun-shield incorporated; interesting gimmick. The price at the dealership was $150, though you can find it for about $130 on Amazon.

One small point on fit: My head size is Small and the two I tried were very tight and snug. The staff said that was very good because the fit will loosen-up with time. That got me to thinking about the modest fit of the Milano; I’m glad I sent that unit back.

I think that I need to go visit more stores to get a reality-check on what’s out there. At this point – I am willing to flip some coin over to get a damn descent helmet that fits well, doesn’t fog, doesn’t inhibit my vision, and will save my bacon better than a wimpy bicycle helmet.

Here are some alternatives that I will be looking to try:
  • AGV Blade Helmet (shipping weight = 4.1 lbs)
  • Bell Mag-8 Street Open Face Helmet (shipping weight = 20 lbs)
  • Scorpion EXO-100 Open Face Helmet (shipping weight = 7 lbs)
For comparison, the Milano shipping weight was 3.6 lbs.

That’s all I knows at this point. I want to hit the Harley dealership next. :twisted:
~KF

I now ride with a Gmax 37x. This helmet can use regular, insulated, and heated face shields. Weighs 3lb 3.8oz. Never fogs up with the insulated shield.
GMAX37X.jpg

As requested, I added a photo of strap, seems very strong. I think my head would rip off before the strap failure point. I have been riding with this helmet for two weeks now. I was concerned the extra weight would be a problem but I don't notice it. What I do notice is the lack of wind noise, the improved abilty to hear cars approaching from behind, and my vision is clearer (wind must have been getting around my glasses). The field of view is wider and taller compared to the glasses I usually wear. Good ventilation options make it very comfortable. On a cold, windy, wet night ride I almost feel as though I am sitting inside watching a video. I'm kind of looking forward to my first winter using my bike as my sole means of transportation.
View attachment IMAG0235.jpg

umCy9.jpg
mpviK.jpg
qF07z.jpg

Sorry for the shit pictures. The helmet is nicely made. I would recommend, but I'm returning it as I ordered too large of a size. I'm going to get a full face helmet. I thought this helmet would protect my mouth from the cold, but it doesn't. It'd be a nice summer helmet. It's got a adjustable vents, and double visors.

Well, since I play in traffic (commute) and have convinced myself that a normal bike helmet wouldn't look quite right on my bike (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22924), I've got a Bell Shorty:

8c5782432e7fc85ac13a54af37dba2ea_refined.jpg

Fortunately haven't had to see how well it works, yet, but it's a lot like an old MSA helmet I used to have in an earlier life which did save me from a few lacerations (apparently it was MSA in an earlier life, too, since they don't seem to make bike helmets any more :( ).

Cameron

looking for one like this but maybe with full face shield for wind protection

41ZaJNZisvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If those are three snaps for the sun visor, you "should" be able to fit a full-face shield on it, but the lack of information on the manufacturer's website (http://www.vcansports.com - just pix, not even multiple views) is disturbing to me. You also probably should note that this is the same manufacturer that kingfish was so disappointed with in his post about a page ago, and an accompanying review in the "E-bike reviews and testing" section.

I did also get a full face shield for mine above, for when it does get cold (and it comes with a neck-warmer).

Just FYI.

Cameron

Like to keep ears open ... (half helmet ) , but like face shield for cold days

2010-HJC-IS-2-Schade-Helmet.jpg

lots of choices here ..

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/15/151/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Scooter-Helmets-Mens-Riding-Apparel.aspx?SITEID=Google_scooter_helmet&WT.mc_ID=10001&WT.srch=1&esvt=GOUSP337884039&esvadt=999999-0-3887432-1&esvid=333786&gclid=CKC89MrRpaUCFRiAgwodVUc6JQ#&&Back=0-0-20%2c505-0-0-0-0-24-1-1-1

These helmets all look great! :) I haven’t had time to escape to the Harley or Honda dealership – but hope to very soon; it’s been blustery although Weather.Com says we’ll have a sun-break later today so maybe I can get out and catch up.

With the guys that posted the helmets, can you reply or append your posts with your opinion of the chin-strap, maybe even take a photo so we can see it. Auraslip – I can tell from images that the clasp is similar if not the same as the Milano, but what of the material and binding?

My Point: Does it look like the chin strap will rip out by sudden exertion of 10 pound/5 kg force? Is the material that strap is stitched into range in quality from modestly resilient to leather-like, or is it flimsy and thin like patent-leather or vinyl? Lastly, aside from personal frugality – would you feel comfortable gifting this to your wife or child?

Cheers, KF

Helmet Discoveries – Part 2

Man I was lucky today and caught some calm weather between the furies; there was debris all over the ground, but I made it to two shops and this is what my tiny little pointy head learnt:

Eastside Harley-Davidson, Bellevue, WA
The service was friendly, diligent, and informative. The helmets offered were Shoei, HJC, Bell, and of course the H-D brand. It looked to me upon close inspection that HJC was contracted to make the H-D helmets, though I could be mistaken.

I tried on open-face ¾ and ½ helmets that could accept a face shield. I found a plastic helmet that I liked, though the face shield was extra. Fortunately it had a ratcheting mechanism (although very cheap) that allowed enumerable positions. Face shields ran about $20-22 depending on matching model. But then the gal serving me began to talk about construction quality.

Construction:
  • Plastic (ABS) Helmets are the least expensive, but tend to crack or shatter upon severe impact which is not good for the noggin nor the brains inside.
  • Fiberglass is better suited for protection, lighter weight, and more spendy than plastic. The quality of workmanship on a FG Helmet is one step up as well. Fits are also much better.
  • Carbon Fiber Helmets reign supreme in quality, construction, life-preservation, and in hefty price. They are marginally lighter than FG.
After this lession I decided to upscale from plastic and be done with it.

My tiny head is normally a Small size which is surprising considering all the shit that spills out of my mouth. What’s worse, I ended up discovering that XS fit me best. That one brain cell of mine must be an inverted Black Hole. :roll:

Of all the choices the one that best suited my needs is the fiberglass Men's Bar & Shield Logo Boneyard Half Helmet. It is available in Glossy Black only. The face shield is a Universal style and does not retract. The fit was the best of any helmet I tried to date, and was very close to the lightest helmet in the store weighing in at 1 lb. 13 oz. Retails for $125. Negatives: Chin strap uses that new-fangled method; probably have to spend $200 to get a better style. And it only came in black color which though great for stealth, is worrisome for desired visibility. Lastly, the shield does not retract.

A very close second-place helmet is the fiberglass Men's Hybrid Ultra-Light Spoiler Half Helmet weighing in at 1 lb. 6 oz. and likely the lightest helmet in the store. Both this and the previous helmet are plush on the inside, and have removable (zippered) ear flaps for summer-time use. I seem to recall this particular model couldn’t use a face shield; I should go back and take another look. Sadly this too only comes in black, though there is a choice between shiny and matte. Cost is $200.

The only non-black helmets for men were a plastic white Men's Midway and a fiberglass Hi-Vis Orange. I hate orange; not my color, not in my tartan, and wouldn’t be caught dead wearing it, but that’s me. Other than that – it has very similar features to the first two reviewed, weighs 1 lb. 11 oz., and costs $125.

There are also variations of #1 and #2 with decals. Not my thing but might be yours. Men's Stealth Flame is modest, and …OK I liked the Men's Embossed Skull too. There, are you happy! :p

Now – if you are not picky, and I mention this in hesitation, the Women’s Half-Helmets ♥ are available in white, silver, Pearl-Red… but most are plastic.

- - -

The second shop I went to was the Honda Ski-Doo Dealership in Issaquah. As far as helmet-selection goes the open face choices were very limited. Otherwise they carried the same full-face stuff I had seen before. But hey – they had Ski-Doos, body armor, and all kinds of neat stuff. Good to know they are there.

Of the four shops I visited, the time and information provided by Harley-Davidson was the best and the most diligent, with the Kawasaki dealer pulling in a close second. I strongly recommend trying on helmets before purchase; at least go in and try the one you’ve been eyeballing on the Internet to be sure the fit is right for you. H-D helmets can be found online for less, but considering all the help the gal went through to accommodate my needs – I’d give them my money.

I still want to look a bit more, but so far… it’s leaning towards H-D. If it is HJC contracting the H-D helmets then there’s a good chance other options and colors are available. :idea:

Cheers, KF

Good morning, KF,

All good advice from you above, especially the part that fit is everything. When I got my helmet (Bell Shorty, posted above), I tried on almost everything the bike (motorcycle) shop had, and this one fit the best (plus it didn't look like I was wearing something the size of a weather balloon on my head). For helmets, if there is a resource nearby, I would never get one over the internet, the fit is too personal.

You asked about the chin strap above, here's mine:

1-1117000746.jpg

(I just saw my reflection, I'm not quite that fat, it's the convex shape of the helmet-mirror :oops: .)

The chinstrap is a good 1-inch nylon strap, connected directly to the (polycarbonate) shell, not just stuck on the ear warmers, with the standard "double-D" cinching-up mechanism. The only very slight modification I wish they had done is to add a snap for the excess strap so it doesn't flap in the wind (there is a loop for it, but it's ineffective). Otherwise, it's great. And, it's only about $80.

BTW, I got a chance to try it out on the way to work today. I teach at a college, and usually go on the city streets all the way to my building. Today I decided to try out the college streets. Well, after the first couple of speed bumps, I decided to go around them, and noticed that the groundskeepers are taking care of the fallen leaves around here by letting them go down the storm drains, one of which was right at a speedbump. I took a spill (at about 10-15 mph), and the helmet worked just fine. In fact, the only thing around my head that actually hit the asphalt was the little sunvisor (not cold enough yet to put on the full faceshield). I wore gloves, and my only damage was that my slacks got ripped up at the knees and I've got to realign my rear wheel before I go home. I wouldn't worry about the polycarbonate shell of any of the good helmets splitting up on you unless you were going 50+ mph, you're not going to have a "severe impact" - Remember, you were in a Harley store, where "severe impact" is likely to have a whole different meaning than you or I think of.

Now, I gotta go back to get a new pair of pants this weekend :x . Man, I hate shopping for clothes! :(

Cameron

Out of curiosity, what do those of you that have used HTC brand helmets think of them, protection-wise and quality-wise? I ask because the one I found at Goodwill (pictured in a recent post in this thread) seems good enough to me (and it fits very well), but I do wonder if it really is.

Keeping in mind that except for places like the Death Race and/or Undead Race, I wouldn't be going faster than 20MPH (maybe 23-25 if I have to to merge with traffic or get across a lane), but that I do ride in traffic. Well, on a downhill run on North Mountain I might go ahead and coast down at whatever the max speed is (40-45). :lol: But that's likely to happen less than annually.

In warmer weather I wear the hard plastic bike/blading half-helmets, but this one is pretty nice for winter here.

Cameron re clothes: Yeah me too! :lol: Glad you were not seriously injured!

AW, I think that the plastic helmets are fine for the low speed you are talking about and superior over a bicycle helmet. What damage the rest of your body will take, one can only say – but the ol’ noggin should be fine.

HJC Investigation:
None of the models map to the H-D helmets directly. Perhaps I have it backwards and they are H-D knockoffs.

Similar products:
I need to make more road trips and check it out. :)

I re-read this thread and Luke made a valid point about the life-saving features of a full-face helmet. I can only say that the half-face does one thing that no other design can match and that is my ears and eyes have the greatest accessibility and the least-obstruction. I do not drive on freeways (shoulders excluded) but if I built a bike that did so then naturally I would need to go to a full-face solution as pedaling would become a fruitless effort. <nods>

~KF

Thanks--I actually mistyped; I meant
, not HTC. :lol: Dunno what my fingers were thinking (my brain had already stopped trying, apparently).

So, what do others that have used them think of HJC. ;)

EDIT: good grief, I can't even use the tags right; I put quotes instead of bold on the first one. I'll leave it for my mistaken posterity. :lol: At least I spelled HJC right this time. :roll:

I got to thinking about this yesterday and it occurred to me that people may not be familiar with the DOT Helmet regulations. These were last update in 2004. The high points are:

• Thick Inner Liner: One-inch thick of firm polystyrene foam.
  • Sturdy Chin Strap and Rivets: Helmets meeting the DOT safety standard have sturdy chinstraps with solid rivets. (The motorcycle and off-road helmets that I have owned have the chin straps rivited directly to the shell)
  • Weight of Helmet: Unsafe helmets weigh only one pound or less; Helmets meeting FMVSS 218 generally weigh about three pounds. (Note: The last revision was written before the introduction of Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass with Aramid reinforcement into the mainstream).
  • Design/Style of Helmet: A comprehensive listing of what is acceptable is given in the spec and worthy of reading.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides a brief overview here on how to spot unsafe helmets.

This information has been previously posted on the Milano Review thread.

RebelPilot, I see you appended your post – thanks buddy! :D
~KF

Cheap or Expensive Bicycle Helmets

http://www.helmets.org/testbycost.htm

Helmet Discoveries – Part 3

I had an opportunity to try various helmet on at the local Cycle Gear outlet in my hometown over the holiday. While slightly OT it was enjoyable to wander through this comprehensive store to see, touch, and appreciate the products first-hand and up close. The helmet selection was the larger than any motorcycle dealership previously visited, and the staff was very helpful. Though the outlets are far and few between, I would encourage a trek if one is close enough.

Many models were looked over and tried. I also revisited a couple of my personal favorites at the local Harley-Davidson store to re-evaluate their features after gaining further experience. If I gave up on the retractable face-shield, along with silver or white color option my search would be over in a heartbeat: The H-D helmets are nearly unbeatable on price, fit, and protection.

This certainly has been a learning experience and a test of compromise, though I am settling in and narrowing the playing field. At present, these are considered the most favorable features in no particular order:

• Least inhibited auditory/visibility ~ considering the protection
  • Fiberglass and/or Kevlar-reinforced shell
  • Brightly visible color choices
  • DOT-compliance, with Snell-rating preferred
  • Riveted well-made Chin strap
  • Removable Liner for washing
  • Open face
  • Rock solid fit & comfort
  • Retractable face shield (prefer integrated, though 3rd-party acceptable)
  • Ventilated
  • Visor optional
  • Weight < 3 lbs
  • Price < $200

Below are two brief reviews conducted over the Thanksgiving holiday.

~KF

That is amazing! Best part is no electronics, just mirrors, so no batteries needed!

Here is another youtube vid that has a nice description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFla-d1lKA&NR=1

Back