What kind of helmet do you use?

?

epic-fail-helmet-fail.jpg

Kurt.

Oh I get it, ES is really about advertising fancy expensive gear like the Lycra crowd?

sad... :lol:

Bullcrap DJ. Those are nice helmets, and the alternative, a full face motorcycle helmet is priced even higher usually. However, the regular old bike helmet at wallmart for $30 -50 can provide quite a bit of protection at 30 mph speeds. Including full face types. Above that, maybe the regular motorcycle helmet is a good idea. All the helmets nowdays are all about the foam. Back in my youth, it was more like an indestructable shell, but crappy foam inside. Better to shatter the helmet without breaking the egg than to crack the egg on the hemet shell.

Dee Jay said:
Oh I get it, ES is really about advertising fancy expensive gear like the Lycra crowd?

I agree with dogman!

ES is about.....SHARING information about a pastime/passion that we are all interested in, which is 'why' we are here. The Helmet that AJ put up as well as others are merely alternatives to those of us who are smart enough to know the wisdom in wearing a Helmet , and NOT about advertising for any given brand!

Dee Jay said:

?

These are fairly inexpensive as far as this stuff is concerned. Plenty of FF downhill bike helmets that are $300+ that I haven't even considered.

I'm just trying to share the stuff I've spent hours looking up with you guys in the hope that someone else finds it useful.

02jze said:
Not so much on the saftey aspect but i was thinking a light weight full face helmet either with a visor or goggles.
When i head to the pub on sundown i eat about 30 moths they hit my eyes and put marks on my shirt on the ride there. I would just like to keep them out of my face as moths and bugs are not in my diet..

HAHA...i bet they make the first beer taste even better though O2jze :mrgreen:

KiM

When I was 8 years old I rode a mini bike with my older brother who had a 100cc dirt bike. We met some other older kids he knew on dirt bikes. I was wearing one of those 70s style open face small motorcycle helmets. One of the kids tells me I'm going to get smashed in the chin by a branch or something, using that helmet. LOL I was 8 on a minibike. But yeah, i got a real helmet later on for dirt biking.

Now, i use my old Giro Eclipse road racer helmet, same for road biking. It's white and well vented, and lightweight. I thought about getting a bmx style one, but this works fine. I should replace it though, it's 5 years old. Bought it new when I crashed in a race on my old helmet and cracked it when my head hit the dirt. Worked really well.

Timma2500 said:
"If you've got a $2 head, buy a $2 helmet" was good advice given to me years ago as a kid buying my 1st dirt bike helmet. About 12 months later i was knocked unconcious, cracked ribs etc after my DT200R landed on me from looping it out on a near vertical rock face climb section. I came too about 10mins later thanking my lucky stars i - A. had a helmet on and B. had bought a middle of the range / reasonable quality helmet and didn't go hunting for bargain cheapys.... :roll:

Expect that there is almost zero correlation between helmet cost and safety. These days a more spendy helmet (with a given catagory) will buy you more comfort, features, and flash.... just not more safety.

geekybiker said:
Expect that there is almost zero correlation between helmet cost and safety. These days a more spendy helmet (with a given catagory) will buy you more comfort, features, and flash.... just not more safety.

Which choice do you think would offer more protection in the event of a fall or crash :wink: :wink:

Attachments

• 18410_10.jpg
    18410_10.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,144
Sheriff Jon said:
geekybiker said:

Which choice do you think would offer more protection in the event of a fall or crash :wink: :wink:

Which is why I said within a given category.
Read this
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Obviously a full coverage helmet offers more protection than a beanie. But a $50 full face helmet can offer better protection than a $500 full face Shoei.

Everything I've read on CPSC rated bike helmets seems to say that price pretty much has zero effect on safety. In fact some of the cheaper "commuter" helmets with rounded less stylish designs are considered safer. (Again comparing 1/2 helmets to 1/2 helmets, etc)

The $2 helmet, $2 head used to be true (and was a bell marketing slogan) before standards for helmets came out. Alot has changed since then.

Luke those pictures are really bad :/

I agree with you %100 when it comes to full face helmets and gloves.

My only point of contention is that a motorcycle helmet is heavy, cumbersome, and hot. All these things make for less of a bicycle and more of a motor bike. I'd prefer for exercise/health and legal reasons to keep it in more on the moped/bicycle side.

So my thoughts on a good ebike helmet:

:arrow: Light weight
:arrow: Eye protection
:arrow: White (important for texas summers)
:arrow: Ventilated enough for a minor work out

http://www.bhsi.org/guide.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bicycle+helmet.html

my current favorite ...
http://www.bellsports.com/media-culture/video/#/introducing-the-all-new-muni-arella

I really would be fine with a bicycle helmet. But since I wear glasses I can't wear goggles. I really need something with a visor or shield to keep the rain off my glasses, and to keep the wind from making me tear up.

Thanks for the good references; I ordered this off of Amazon:

All possible colors and multiple views shown here. Black is the least expensive.

I’ll provide a review once I put it through a few Seattle rains. The shipping weight is about 3.6 lbs which is about ½ of a motorcycle helmet, though 3X that of a classic bicycle helmet. At the speeds that I am going a dinky bike helmet won’t save me, and this is an appealing option nestled in-between the two classes.

~KF

That's a nice looking helmet kingfisher. European style scooter helmets look pretty nice for ebikes.

I'm getting this one for $50

http://www.leathertolace.net/servlet/the-22269/HCI-16-Series-Italin/Detail

Whoa - that rocks! Hey when it comes in take pics and let's compare notes. The only thing missing from either of ours is a little visor and at this time of the year the sun is right into my eyes.

Do you wear glasses? I didn't want to get the full-face shield cos I thought it would fog :roll:

Sweatty, KF

R-Jays Dakkar is cheap insurance for me! Anything over 30kph and its essential IMO

Dakar%20Gunmetal.jpg

It does get a little foggy when ou are breathing hard but then you can just crack the visor open and its all good - this helmet also has heaps of asjustable vents to keep you cool.

I do wear glasses. Should I be worry about it fogging up? :?

I'm new to this motorcyclin' thing.

I'll def. take some pictures. All though now I'm thinking of spending $25 more to get yours because the manufacturer actually has a website. :roll:

unsane - can you send a link to where you found it please? :)

Aura - my goggles fog easily at intersections. Before that I had used my ski goggles which were too dark at night. Both the helmet you chose and mine should do away with that completely. I will probably have to wear a face-wrap/Balaclava though to arrest frostburn. Speaking of which...

Beauty tip guys ♥♥♥ I do enjoy a good icy rain on the face though; it exfoliates the skin like nothing else! :twisted:

<snicker> KF

Back