What type of hub is this?

gogreenpower

100 mW
Hi guys,

I know it's not specifically related to ebike's but it's for a trailer that will be pulled by my ebike.

Anyway, I can't for the life of me find this type of hub online, does anyone know what type it is and if possible where can I get some.

inboard side.jpg

outboard side.jpg

Thanks,

Green

Looks like maybe it's something for a wheelchair, or a garden cart, or a trike. The recess is for the nut on the axle, so it doesn't stick out and hang up as a wheelchair goes through the door.

Best source might be a thrift store or flea, and buy a wheelchair.

I was thinking the recess was for a quick release button maybe? Its prob custom to one manufactures system... you might need to lots of brand specific searching. Possibly a kid or dog trailer if it came stock in a 20" wheel. Usually wheelchair is bigger rim, and garden cart ones are usually uglier hub than that.

wheel-hub-301548__180.jpg

If you do a closeup up might be easier. I used google image search to find this pic from yours.. but it kept trying to see a whole bike wheel.

Baby jogger?

Try googling hollow bicycle hubs... I have a trailer that uses push button axles for a quick release. The hub your showing looks very similar. You"ll need to find an axle and bearing. Check the parts at Wike Trailers
http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/parts-and-support/

See different hubs here
https://www.google.com/search?q=Hollow+bicycle+hubs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi19KKTq97QAhWGjFQKHex_D74Q_AUICSgC&biw=1008&bih=616#imgdii=oJk2t71q7h_EWM%3A%3BoJk2t71q7h_EWM%3A%3BNch_K2Cv1cj-hM%3A&imgrc=oJk2t71q7h_EWM%3A

Hmm,, didn't know there was a QR trailer wheel.

Yeah, they aren't wheelchair wheels. I just meant it might be cheap to get a hollow hub wheel set by buying a beat up wheelchair.

Sorta reminds me of my DoggyHut trailer wheels? Not the same QR, these simply slide and lock into a receptacle on the trailer.
View attachment 1
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

dogman dan said:
Hmm,, didn't know there was a QR trailer wheel.

Yeah, they aren't wheelchair wheels. I just meant it might be cheap to get a hollow hub wheel set by buying a beat up wheelchair.

So far all but one of the common two-wheel bike trailers I've picked up used have had QR wheels, with a pushbutton release on the axle. Generally the fit is poor and the hub rattles around on the axle both laterally and radially, which is why when I built my own from scratch I used regular bike wheels and dropouts to bolt into on each end of the axle.

Doing it the same way but with hollow hubs and a removable axle would make the wheels easier to take out and also better supported (since the dropouts wouldn't need a slot, just a hole thru the bracket or frame), and a stronger trailer.

Wheelchair hubs can work, too, if you want single-ended stuff, I've used them on the first Flatbed Kennel Trailer if you look it up in my posts.

As Chalo said, baby jogger strollers also often use these hubs, but not all are QR. I have a couple of them, and they have small axles, just 10mm, so they aren't made to take a lot of weight. (usually teh strollers I see at Goodwill/etc are rated at 50lbs, some at 100lbs). The bearings could be changed out to ones with larger IDs for bigger axles, but I'm not sure if that means they wouldn't support as much of a load (side-load?) as original. The other problem is that again, these are usually sloppy for fit so they rattle around on the axle like the cheap trailer wheels.

Unless you *have* to have that recessed area on the hub, I would recommend the trike hubs as they are probably better made (or at least intended for higher loads, and might ahve bearings in them already intended for side loads).

Stub axle hub. Could use a downhill hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back