What will it take to make ebikes, More mainstream ?

eCue said:
Screw the middleman , rent them out yourself start with two twin bikes and a smile

Hehe... One nice thing about "the middle man" perhaps... Yah could replicate the scenario in "tourist destinations"... all over. Lets say your "bike investments" are netting you a few bucks a day, all "summer"... Multiply times one hundred...

:wink:

GeriatricGeoffrey said:
they're already in the Tour de France, what more do you want? :lol:

Watt places and cities all over the world are moving to? Where use of the private automobile is being severely restricted or just banned outright. ... and the bike with an assist is my weapon of choice to help KILL THE CAR. According to one theory, some urban dwellers might like getting around town quicker while saving TONS of money vs car ownership. :)

LockH said:
eCue said:
Screw the middleman , rent them out yourself start with two twin bikes and a smile

Hehe... One nice thing about "the middle man" perhaps... Yah could replicate the scenario in "tourist destinations"... all over. Lets say your "bike investments" are netting you a few bucks a day, all "summer"... Multiply times one hundred...

im thinking like a dragon :) build a successful e-rental business locally and get a partner or three to expand to other hand picked cities. Businesses that build themselves with its own money allows anyone to become wealthy

^^ Hehe... It's Piracy 101. To work as a team and share the profits. (Well, onshore, piracy is called "business".) :lol:

The world is funny in that what you need also needs you. If you need a business then that business needs you.

Relatively new to ebikes here... ridden a couple and contemplating my first DIY.

What about widespread city ebike shares?
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/09/j...s-e-bike-sharing-startup-to-launch-in-sf/amp/

Also, take a city like LA... where large sums of people live 10 miles or less from work and everything one needs can be found in a 2 or 3 mile radius. Payments on an ebike are cheaper than a monthly metro pass. Once enough people are out of their cars and on bikes, the saftey argument starts to hold less weight. And LA has been replacing road lanes with bike lanes. There isn't much of a reason that an ebike couldn't replace a car for most trips for most people in LA. Hah, but that'd be day!

Its the future if the weather is permitting :) global warmers think we will be in Storm ville ( fear mongers)

imagineaudio said:
Relatively new to ebikes here... ridden a couple and contemplating my first DIY.

Careful... EXTREMELY addictive. (Think, "travels" as entertainment...) Seek out local chapter of EA (Ebikers Anonymous). All horrible failures, but parties are great fun.

Local bike shops that sell bikes w/assist tell me their Number One Selling Technique goes "Would you like a test ride?")

:)

I did my part today, On a large commercial building site, I was lifting bunks of steel trusses up on to the 45' high roof. This is a big project, headquarters for a large credit union, so lot's of various tradesmen. Noon comes along, and the guys I'm working with disappear, and I'm stuck on the site with my crane deployed 140' in the air, and the closet place to grab a bite is about 1/2 mile away (too time consuming to walk it). 30 seconds later I have the Giant Talon BBSO2 conversion out and am zipping away. I had enough time after eating to take a quick ride, and once back by the crane it was stowed away in another 30 seconds. The ebike I carry in the crane has been a HUGE hit with me, and anyone else who sees me almost instantly get it out and then ride off at a brisk rate of speed. It would not be as cool if it took several minutes of screwing around, I can get it out and ride off literally in the time it takes someone to ask "need a ride?" If accepted, that ride is usually to the nearest Burger King or McDonalds, screw that, I haven't eaten meat in 45 years and having my own wheels is a good away to avoid the whole "why don't you eat hamburgers thing." It is a welcome mental break from the job day stress and BS, and it is so nice to get the hell away from it for a bit, better then packing a lunch and eating in the cab for sure. The exercise ( I pedal) is welcome also. I always make a point to mention it's an ebike, and how far I could easily ride if I really needed to get somewhere, that fact, besides the obvious fact that it fits in the crane, really blows some minds. Also, for the third time now, I've used my small frame bag, more a bag for under the seat, but zip tied to my top frame, to carry a large to go cup of coffee. I couldn't have planned this better, but didn't. I inadvertently ended up with a safe and mess free way to carry coffee, it just keeps getting better!

LockH said:
imagineaudio said:

Careful... EXTREMELY addictive. (Think, "travels" as entertainment...) Seek out local chapter of EA (Ebikers Anonymous). All horrible failures, but parties are great fun.

Local bike shops that sell bikes w/assist tell me their Number One Selling Technique goes "Would you like a test ride?")

:)

The first one's free

craneplaneguy said:
I did my part today, On a large commercial building site, I was lifting bunks of steel trusses up on to the 45' high roof. This is a big project, headquarters for a large credit union, so lot's of various tradesmen. Noon comes along, and the guys I'm working with disappear, and I'm stuck on the site with my crane deployed 140' in the air, and the closet place to grab a bite is about 1/2 mile away (too time consuming to walk it). 30 seconds later I have the Giant Talon BBSO2 conversion out and am zipping away. I had enough time after eating to take a quick ride, and once back by the crane it was stowed away in another 30 seconds. The ebike I carry in the crane has been a HUGE hit with me, and anyone else who sees me almost instantly get it out and then ride off at a brisk rate of speed. It would not be as cool if it took several minutes of screwing around, I can get it out and ride off literally in the time it takes someone to ask "need a ride?" If accepted, that ride is usually to the nearest Burger King or McDonalds, screw that, I haven't eaten meat in 45 years and having my own wheels is a good away to avoid the whole "why don't you eat hamburgers thing." It is a welcome mental break from the job day stress and BS, and it is so nice to get the hell away from it for a bit, better then packing a lunch and eating in the cab for sure. The exercise ( I pedal) is welcome also. I always make a point to mention it's an ebike, and how far I could easily ride if I really needed to get somewhere, that fact, besides the obvious fact that it fits in the crane, really blows some minds. Also, for the third time now, I've used my small frame bag, more a bag for under the seat, but zip tied to my top frame, to carry a large to go cup of coffee. I couldn't have planned this better, but didn't. I inadvertently ended up with a safe and mess free way to carry coffee, it just keeps getting better!

Nothing better then a hot coffee carrier on a bike , sounds like a luxurious ride haha

Thanks for the reply, keep us posted. You would not happen to be in Winnipeg would you?

I am supposedly helping somebody open a rental bike shop.

LockH said:
GIGATT said:
We shall see what Uber does next week.

Do you rent ebikes?

Hehe... Not YET. HAVE convinced one local bike store owner to jump into this rental business. When last heard he had signed a five year contract to "man a spot"/ place in a local park. He's done Year One already, with staff manning a "low traffic spot". This year the Parks Dept. have agreed to let him move to a "higher traffic area" in the same park.

BUT, he's renting pedal-only bikes like he sells in his nearby store? So MY plan is to ship him bikes with assist. For him/his crew to rent "all summer long" (the contract is limited to six months each year)... and then for him to "kick back" some of his net profits. Hehe... The Lazy Mans way to earn incomes. Store owner and crew do all the work... I just get some small cheque each year just before Christmas... Sorta like buying stocks with a steady income. ...I suspect.

Based on all I know/have heard and read, the electrics will be their "top sellers" in his rental biz...

You'll notice that Rob, the store owner has almost zero electric bikes:
https://velotique.com/collections/bicycles

Given that I have about zero $$$ to buy any new ebikes... currently looking for one or more "investors" just to buy ("quality"/"brand name") ebikes and have them shipped to Rob for him to rent. (And for them to earn a healthy return on their "investment", obviously...)

... and the general idea is to get folks addicted to electric assist such that they start buying ebikes from his store. :wink:

His shop is located right at the edge of a more "affluent" neighbourhood featuring long bike paths. :mrgreen:

... and "deep pockets". :lol:

GIGATT said:
Thanks for the reply, keep us posted. You would not happen to be in Winnipeg would you?

I am supposedly helping somebody open a rental bike shop.

In the `Peg? Nope, was bouncing around, one coast then the other... and lately/last few decades ended up in Toronto, Ontario.. watt some might term the "armpit" of Canada... right near the middle.

"helping somebody open a rental bike shop"? Good stuff... Should be like a "license to print money" these days. :mrgreen:

Suggest though some "high traffic" location, and loaded with tourists. :wink: And also to have some DIY kits handy to sell. :)

VIN's...

:lol:

Seriously though - communication is an issue. Often people ask for prices on this forum and vendors active on the topic simply don't answer,

LockH said:
eCue said:

BTW. For anybuddy/EVerybuddy reading this... and speaking re "the middleman"...

MY "dream scenario" is for me to be drinking... stuff... while lying at/on the beach, with "once-a-year" bike shops renting out electrics cutting me one cheque for some percentage of their gross incomes or net profits ... (one cheque X 1000+ shops)

To use an analogy, I knew a guy once who once/twice per year imported one ship full of... stuff... watt was already "pre-sold"... So once-twice per year "money traded hands" but otherwise he spent his life "on vacation".

Anybuddy else wanna spend their life "on vacation"?

The idea is that EVerybuddy/anybuddy buys/owns one (or more) bettery-electric bicycle... BUT has it shipped by seller to a bike store in Toronto... and the bike store rents these ebikes out EVery "season" aka "summer"... And then (hopefully/I suspect...) store owner will send the bike owner one "healthy" cheque each fall just before Christmas. One might think of this as making a "tiny investment" watt generates LARGE "ROI". EVery year. (Return-On-Investment... "Investor-Speak")

I actually KNOW the bike shop owner Rob and got him mixed up in this bike rental biz in the first place maybe... Rob, owner of Velotique...:
https://velotique.com/

So. Fer yer "small investment" yah gets:
1) One annual "healthy" dividend cheque as an investor, and
2) A "free" ebike to borrow any time you are in Toronto.

Yah have to think of this as a "joint enterprise" where "investors" have bikes for rent from bike shops and places all over the world... Intro yourself and ya can borrow a one "rental ebike" for free while traveling. Otherwise, "your" ebike is being rented out to others... all summer/"biking season"/year long...

Question?

Signed - Phoenix Ebike Promotions (hehe...)

looks like it took the guy from American idol

rumme said:
I will take a guess .

I watch countless youtube videos of new ebikes coming to market and the main things they have in common are :

OVERPRICED

UNDER POWERED MOTORS

LOW AMP HOUR BATTERY RATINGS.

Sondors made a ton of money, by recognizing that the ebike market was wide open for a ebike around $600 that looked good but wasn't top notch components . He knew that many people would be happy with a weaker motor/ battery if the price point was low.

I believe the ebike market is still CRYING for a UPGRADED Sondors style ebike . Something like :

1. 1000 watt NOMINAL hub motor/ 500 watt NOMINAL mid drive
2. 48 volt/ 20 AH battery pack
3. a controller that can handle 30-50 amps and propel the rider up to 30- 35 mph top speed { if legalities are a concern, then offer a dual mode for riders to only switch on the higher speeds for off road use}
4. possibly some suspension or at least a good seatpost suspension.

Offer this package in 3 frame sizes and make it look clean/ nice , and do it for $1500- $1900 shipped, and I think it would be a BIG seller.

Yes, the $600 Sondors is cool , but for most adults who weigh more then 160 lbs and have to travel hilly roads, gravel roads, and want to travel more then 14 miles distance etc...Sondors isn't ideal due to lack of motor power and battery capacity.

I guess the RADROVER is the closest thing , but I think it only comes in 1 frame size , and battery capacity isn't 20A/H and I AM NOT A BIG FAN of the Bafang geared motors. I had one , and wasn't impressed at all. I think a decent quality direct drive , 1000 watt hub motor is better.

Basically, a ebike that is MUCH better then Sondors with all the features I listed, for $1800 shipped { 3x the price of Sondors, but still below the cost of what any ebike company is offering, with those upgraqded features} . This would allow for a much better riding experience for the consumer and still provide good profit margins for the manufacturer. If Sondors could manufacture a lower grade ebike for $600, and make a ton of money, then the same thing can be done with a medium grade ebike, capable of trail riding/ road riding for $1800 , and still provide good profits for the manufacturer. This new ebike , would not be marketed for doing heavy trails/ jumping, racing....which most consumers don't need/want anyways.

What a thread necro!

But I have the answer for Sydney... Ubereats and a pandemic lock down. Man, I have never seen so many eBikes before. Not just as a proportion of cyclists - total number. There are swarms of dozens around the restaurants in my suburb anywhere near dinner time, and during the day, you can still see a handful being ridden around.

Even now that lock down is over, they are still everywhere.

Sunder said:
What a thread necro!

But I have the answer for Sydney... Ubereats and a pandemic lock down. Man, I have never seen so many eBikes before. Not just as a proportion of cyclists - total number. There are swarms of dozens around the restaurants in my suburb anywhere near dinner time, and during the day, you can still see a handful being ridden around.

Even now that lock down is over, they are still everywhere.
Yep. Here too. All the bikes and ebikes are sold out and the bike shops are busy like never before. I guess people who stopped using their car for some time, realized how life is better and cheaper without them. Also, lots of workers are scared of using public transportation because of the crowded proximity.

Though to be strictly accurate, that doesn't tell us that they're now mainstream. A change from 1% to 2% is huge for the market, but isn't a huge market.

In socal, it changed about as much as possible because the bike shops are out of (reasonably priced) stock and have a month backlog for service.

I suspect that it's similar in some other cities around the world, but here in Sydney, a full day of parking is around $80, lower in the more residential parts of the city, and higher in the retail and financial parts of the city. The minimum wage is about $20, so after tax a minimum wage earner, if he wanted to drive, would be spending about 5 hours of work just paying for parking, never mind gas/petrol and tolls.

Our public transport has socially distanced, so that a bus that previously held 52 + 12 standing legally (but was often more full than that), is now strictly enforced to 12 passengers only, so public transport is not a viable way in for working in the city.

While many knowledge workers like me only go in once a fortnight or so for team catch ups, there will be others who need to go in every day, and in one of life's bitter irony's tend to be those paid less well.

So aside from Ubereats delivery, there are more commuting by bike and ebike as well.

Will be interesting to see if the change lasts beyond the pandemic. There were so temporary lane closures to make instant "separated bike lanes", and they weren't even in for a day before drivers, having experienced a 40% drop in traffic and the fastest commutes of their lives, were complaining that it makes their commute slower, and that cyclists should be paying for their own infrastructure.

Even in times of global need, where many have made sacrifices, and many more suffering, there are enough anti-cyclists to make noise.

My guess is that lots of used bikes will be for sale in the coming years. :wink:

Those changing their habits for an exceptional situation, are quick to be back to their old habits after the return to normality.

Back