What would the best full suspension bike be (features)?

Its not just that the project you are thinking about has an 8-kW system, you are also filling an unserved niche with a mid drive: lighter, and the weight that it has...is moved nearer the center. This beats the Stealth Fighter/Bomber on performance, so if the price is just 10% lower than the Fighter it will be a winner. Just my opinion...you already have a reputation, so you are not a "new guy" selling vaporware and looking for "investors".

I will add that any full suspension ebike should look inconspicuous and like a regular bicycle. If its all beefed up looking like a motorcycle, its going to get you pulled over and stopped by a cop. Wouldn't you guys agree?

Hey Matt,
If you could find a Brooklyn Machine works Race Link, I think you you would be stoked. Its Chromoly, has a jack shaft and like 10+ inches of travel. To me these were way too heavy to pedal but electrified, it would be a true silent dirt bike.
They are getting harder to find now since Brooklyn M.W. changed hands...

The problem with stock DH setups and 10 plus kw of mid drive, is they will be way to short/ light and top heavy to keep the front wheel down with a stock seating position. Unless you have some serious throttle control programming, it will make tight steep trails very difficult to take advantage of the power. Something along the lines of a old stingray seat would at least allow you to move forward. Possibly something like a stepped seat, with a taller rear pedal position and a forward lower moto position. Wheel base would need to be in the 50 -55 inch range also. 48 inches may work, but not with a stock seating arrangement unless you had the seat real low and forward and still with 10 kw and less than 100 pound bike. :shock:

I don't think you should compromise max performance just to make it look like a bicycle. You will not be able to hide the motor and batteries that well, or hide that fact that your moving 50 MPH. :p

spinningmagnets said:
Its not just that the project you are thinking about has an 8-kW system, you are also filling an unserved niche with a mid drive: lighter, and the weight that it has...is moved nearer the center. This beats the Stealth Fighter/Bomber on performance, so if the price is just 10% lower than the Fighter it will be a winner. Just my opinion...you already have a reputation, so you are not a "new guy" selling vaporware and looking for "investors".

That was my thought as well.

I will tell you, this is not just an idea that I would like to flesh out. This is a real project that is already in its development stage.

We wanted to get feedback from you guys because ES is the heartbeat of the E-Bike forward thinkers.

Matt

There seems to be a market for a high power almost-motorbike, though riding spaces for those will be hard to find in Europe. Maybe the KTM ride parks will become 'open to any ebike' parks ?

The problem I have is that, with respect, no small maker will be able to properly challenge the quality, finish and reliability of the kind of e-motorbikes that KTM, Alta (former BRD), Zero etc are building. No matter how good your concept, it comes down to matter of resources, facilities, investment, supply relationships, purchasing power, production volumes, warranty, service back up...

I've inspected the KTM e-freeride at a couple of shows recently and hope to ride one soon - it is a very impressively made piece of kit from a maker that is currently on top of their game. If Yamaha release their rumoured e-offroader (to be called e-Tracker?) you can bet that will be equally superbly built. At the shows I also saw 2 e-trials bikes, one Kuberg and one French. Sadly, despite hefty prices neither was close to a production trials bike in fit, finish, quality... I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. (take a look at a Beta, Gas Gas, Sherco, Vertigo etc in the flesh - gorgeous and superbly engineered).

Matt, I am not trying to discourage you in any way, I applaud what you have achieved already, but find a space away from the big guys. If it were my project I would do exactly what spinning magnets says and target the stealth bomber but without the hub motor which is just... wrong... for serious off road use.

Engineering has been described as the science of compromise. For off road e-bikes, enough power is not a concern. Energy storage density is the problem - it compromises weight, range and cost... and also the bicycle appearance. (At least in Europe, the latter really matters. If thousands of Stealth bombers appear, they will be banned from most ride area. Cycle groups are very powerful).

IMHO the biggest e-bike engineering challenge is to put modest but exciting power (2kW?) into a proper XC or DH mtb with a stealth look and decent range. Weight is everything for that which is why your Astro motors are a fine starting point. One day we'll get the batteries needed complete the job. Until then, we can have fun challenging the compromises!

Ahhh.... i allways want people to ask me this question.... what would be my dream e-bike....
first of all you need a goal with out thinking of specs - 40kg top, top speed of 80kmh, 40km range
to run a system like this with some reliability you'll have to work with a 72v\84v system and about 3kw continues, which means if you want to get 50km range offroad you'd have to use a battery with about 35 amps, or even more if its not making the bike heavier than 40kg
for the motor it HAS to be mid-drive, hub motors are allways cool and simple but have'nt proven themselves offroad, so we're talking mid-drive, the motor would have to be with a small diameter but long, and not on the swingarm, i think putting a motor on the swingarm is a compormise and if you're making a frame you won't have to compormise about those stuff.
pedals are an option but not neccesary at that speed at all, also complicates everything and adds to weight.
i think the motor should have its own gearbox (not deraillur), maybe that part could go on the swingarm since it's not as heavy as a 3kw motor. Number of speeds is a question, depends on the kind of motor and the rider, i think that part could go with a few options when sold to costumers because every rider prefers something else.
the other mechanical specs should be as a high-end downhill bike - a 4 piston caliper with 203mm disc at each side (shimano Zee for example), 30mm wide (or more) rims, 26"x2.6" tyres, 200mm travel at the front and 220mm at the back. try to avoid motorcycle parts as much as possible because they weigh so much, and high end parts can do the job as well.
geometry should be as a cross-country bike, not as a downhill bike. why? because a downhill bike is made for downhill, an offroad e-bike is made for every terrain. downhill bike geometry takes all the weight to the back (thats why you go behind the saddle when riding downhill), and thats not good for every other terrain except for downhills.
about the material of the frame - aluminum is not a must, because if you use aluminum sometimes you need to use alot of material which makes it even heavier than other stronger materials such as iron, which could make a stronger frame with less material. the frame is an important factor of the weight and should take as much care as needed to make it as perfect as possible. a good example for a strong frame is mountain-motos, which is a dirt-bike at 60kg, and the frame is way stronger than any other aluminum downhill frame you'll find. (btw thats gonna be my next project, an electric mountain-moto with downhill bike parts :wink: )
hope i helped, Noam.

(2kW?) into a proper XC or DH mtb
Just like GNG or better yet LR? The 3220 astro is already way more powerful. I would rather see the chassis you describe but longer wheel base and something like the plettenberg nova 15 class motor in it going direct to the rear wheel.

Agree, it is a very difficult market to break into against the big players, but that should not stop one from pushing the pony/pound envelope. Much latitude would be given in the fit/finish department if it was a killer ride IMO.

People want lightweight and long range with bicycle looks. Impossible with a single pack. The A2B has it right. A pack in the small frame for stealth and lightweight use, while another less stealthy pack can be attached for when you really do need the range. No point carrying any battery your not using if weight is a concern. I'm not even thinking about anything else for my bike.

friendly1uk said:
People want lightweight and long range with bicycle looks. Impossible with a single pack. The A2B has it right. A pack in the small frame for stealth and lightweight use, while another less stealthy pack can be attached for when you really do need the range. No point carrying any battery your not using if weight is a concern. I'm not even thinking about anything else for my bike.

"Some" people want long range with bicycle looks. Part of this thread is an effort to find out what the general consensus is (or get a bit of an idea).

I agree that competing with KTM or other big hitters like Quantya would be difficult. That is why we are building a hard edge full suspension electric bicycle, not a motorcycle. That being said, there is always a market for boutique products. We are looking to grow the company, that is for sure. We do not want to remain a tiny boutique manufacturer forever. The high-end is a great place to start assuming you have a product that qualifies to fit into that market.

Matt

recumpence said:
Hey Guys,

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what your ideal hard edge full suspension bike consist of? (I am talking a high-end bike with a price tag around what a Stealth costs.) This would be a downhill style bike.

I do not want to hear "20,000 watts, 200 mile range, and $1,000 price". I want realistic suggestions. :wink:

First of all, for the sake of argument, I assume it would be a monocoque/box frame. But, would your ideal frame be aluminum or steel? Chromoly maybe?

I really like the idea of a monocoque/box frame, with a mid-drive in the bottom bracket. In particular, I like the idea of (and have been looking at designing) a monocoque frame with a removable bottom bracket drive unit; that system would have the upper portion of the frame reserved for the controller and the batteries, while the drive unit would contain a motor with a single or double reduction (as appropriate), as well as (if possible) an 8-speed IGH interfaced with the BB to allow multiple speeds with pedal power. From there, it should be possible to use a single shaft to transmit the combined torque from motor and rider to the rear wheel. I'm currently teaching myself Autodesk Inventor 3D, with the drive unit as my learning project; the idea would be to use a 15mm HTD belt for the primary reduction and then either #25H or #219 kart chain for the secondary (that's being designed to mate to a C80100; the RV120 would only need a single primary reduction because of its low KV).

If I were building it myself I'd build the frame box and power unit out of 1-1.5mm 4130 Chromoly sheet steel, with thicker plates made out of 6061 or 7075 aluminum and bolted to the shell (primarily because I can TIG weld steel reasonably cleanly, but can only kind of lay beads on aluminum); if I had infinite money and either a really talented welder or a high-quality CNC welding machine I'd get it done out of 7068 aluminum (roughly the same density as 7075, but 15-20% stronger) because it's incredibly light and strong. Swingarms would probably be waterjetted 7075 aluminum around 1/4" to 1/2" thick; that way it'd be reasonably possible to minimize weight, and the lack of a massive hub motor in the rear means that you no longer need absolutely massive dropouts to keep the hub from spinning out.

How about forks?

I'd ideally go with the Boxxer race upfront; they're designed to take a decent volume of bumps and bangs at 40-50mph, which means that 40-70mph onroad speeds should be reasonably safe, and Boxxers should allow for a decent amount of abuse (stairs riding, singletrack with decent jumps, etc.) even at a 100-150lb overall bike weight. It's a fairly useful all-around on- and offroad fork and it'll run you around $700-750 (which means it won't necessarily break your budget, especially if you do production runs instead of sourcing the forks one at a time off Amazon).

Suspension travel?

8 inches up front and 7-10 in back would be ideal; that should be more than enough to smooth out the road bumps and should be enough to allow for use on most dirtbike tracks and DH slopes.

Wattage? (let's be realistic)

Ideally 10-15kW peak, and 6-8kW continuous; in particular I've been looking at designing the drivetrain I described above around the Turnigy C80100 and/or the Revolt RV120. Ideally, I'd be running them at 24-28s (88.8-103.6V) through an 18-FET IRFP4568-equipped Lebowski controller; the idea would be to run the system at 150 battery amps peak and 60-90 battery amps continuous. It would be perfect for the RV120 and could easily stress the C80100 a fair amount; a C80100-equipped drivetrain with those specs really should be tested to destruction before it gets sold to the general public.

Brakes?

Variable regen lever attached to the Lebowski controller, and then a set of Shimano Zee disc brakes with 203mm rotors on the front and rear hubs as a backup.

Seat style (bike seat versus motocross style seat)?

I'm quite happy with the MX seat; it might make pedaling somewhat more difficult/uncomfortable, but it makes it much easier to stay on and move the bike around at high speeds and torques.

On-board charging, or off board charging to save weight?

Onboard charging; it should be possible to build a 2-4lb bulk charger (especially at high voltages and low currents) that can do 2-4kW worth of CC/CV charging. Onboard charging also lets you use it on longer commutes and trips and plug in as you go; offboard charging will save you some weight on short runs, but on longer trips you're going to need to carry the charger anyway and it's better to have that weight low and in the center of the bike than it is to have that in a backpack or rear rack.

How about range (remember, higher range means more weight and higher cost in batteries)?

I'd like a great deal of range (2-4kWh) overall, which should be doable for cheap if you use Hobbyking packs (which would be my plan); you can put together 5kWh of 4s Turnigy hardcase packs for $1300-1500, which is pretty reasonable.

Would you prefer performance, or range?

I'd like to have at least 5-6kW of power and at least 30-50 miles of range overall.

I am wondering what the market is specifically. I know, in general, what the market is. But, I want some specifics.

If you could design your own bike with realistic goals and attainable performance (not vaporware, unobtainium stuff), what would it be?

Let's dream, here! I know you have all dreamed of your ideal full suspension dirt bike. So, what would it be?

Matt

Matt, I'd love to see one of your drives in one of my frames (this almost sounds sexual!).
There is a point at around 5Kw when pedals become irrevelant and compromises handling especially offroad. There is also a big difference in reliability to consider on an offroad bike compared to a road-going bike. Bike chain has to go, with #219 or #35 being the minimum I would fit to a 5kw drive. DH bikers break chains regularly on landings. Hubs and freewheels that would handle multiple KW on road will fail from impacts on landings or rough terrain. You need to factor in rocks, mud, branches ext getting in your drivetrain. For the battery capacity 1-1.5KWh would be good for 1h30 rides. Easy battery swap would be great. And most importantly, keep it stupid simple ;)

Adam

One thing to remember, component strength is a combination of torque and speed. A BMX chain can handle enormous loads when the rear sprocket is relatively large. With a 50 tooth sprocket at the rear wheel, you will never break a BMX chain. My yellow trike used a standard BMX chain. It was not even a trials chain.

Matt

recumpence said:
friendly1uk said:

"Some" people want long range with bicycle looks. Part of this thread is an effort to find out what the general consensus is (or get a bit of an idea).

Matt

Many want to buy an electric motorcycle and not register it, or to buy one that was never intended to be registered. I don't include these people when talking about e-bikes. They are well catered for though, by manufacturers that we trust. Just as 250w bike users are well catered for. When I look and ask around I find the niche market I could plug is.....

What is the most common use of bikes. Commuting. So where is the market? It's commuting. Soft full suspension that never travels more than 40mm and range within 20 miles that must look right to other road users as nobody likes change. This seems to be what most newbies I talk to want. All except the savvy one's that know full suspension is silly for such use.

Internet forums don't represent the general public. You can't make the bike we want. It won't sell. We will make our own niche goods. In the real world people ask what I have, then tell me how they would like it to be different. It is always a bike that looks normal. Not 'some' of them. All of them. People don't like change. Adding power is good, but a new type of vehicle with a shaky reputation.. Leave that for someone else to pioneer.

I'm not sure who you want to build a bike for, but I know in Europe people want speed pedalecs. They're unhappy with the 15mph limit they can reach without motor, but still want a bicycle not a motorcycle.

The full suspension users want hydraulic disc brakes and carbon fiber handlebars. It's all about the toys.

Average spend on a bike in the UK is about $600 which has a huge bearing on what an ebike should cost. Capping most peoples spending to $2000 or they don't get a holiday this year. Cost is the most important feature of all. No other single feature makes people walk away like cost does.

Most law breakers don't want to flaunt it. It needs to look legal. I wouldn't even dream about owning an unregistered motorcycle and taking it down cycle paths. When I got to work they would sack me for being a tosser. Or ridicule me for not wearing lycra. Either way I would soon be out. The only respectable e-bike is a powered brompton.

I couldn't get a lot of the bikes here from my garage. The neighbours like to stay ahead of each other. Most by trying harder, but some find it easier to stay ahead by pushing the competition down. They would soon have the police at my door. I'm sure this is a fear many of us live with.

With virtually no deviation, the dullards want the bikes they have now, but faster.

I'm looking at volume sales in Europe of course. $2000 30mph bicycle looking things. Shops can provide bikes you may unlock, but bikes built for 250w compliance fall short of the 30mph people keep asking me for. I would like to sell something just outside the shop bikes performance envelope, as just getting ahead is all an audi or bmw person want. They don't care how far, just as long as they can look down. 30mph seems is a must to keep up with cars, as it's what everyone asks me for. Though I give them 28mph so they remember it's a bicycle.

That has been my findings anyway. Ignoring the fringe choices seen here on an enthusiasts forum.

Sorry for the long post...... I better go get some work done now...

I DO NOT want a commuter! The North american market is gonna be different from a Euro market IMO. Cities are spread out due to urban sprawl and commuting by bike just isn't an option for many of us travelling up to and beyond 100kms a day for work. Let the lycra clad crowd and motorcycles have the streets. For a legal commuting ebike you'd need to keep things to 750watts anyways in North America. What I personally would pay $12,000US for is a high performance offroad machine with 5-6,000watts power and a battery anywhere up to 20Ah that has a quick release system on it so you can buy an extra one and have it charged ready to go and stored in your transport vehicle when you go to your local trailhead. A tapered headtube with 200mm travel front and rear with a tube type space frame (like Ducati and KTM have made for years) with 203mm hydraulic brakes. Keep the weight to 35kilos and I think you'd have a winner. Nicolai was supposed to come out with a bike called the RN-1 but the only problem with that bike is it doesn't have pedals so you'd get hassled on mtb trails too much. I recently sold by Stealth Bomber because I want a bike that is more trail worthy (the Bomber was a handful on my singletrack with that heavy hub motor on the back wheel) even though it was great on the road. Matt, your mid drive 3220 system is perfect for the power source on this bike (although it would be even better if it were sensored, as trying to get going on a steep incline on a 75lb bike won't be any fun). Closest bike I have seen to my idea of perfection is bzhwindtalker's
system although trying to collaborate across two continents is gonna be a logistics nightmare. If anyone can pull off this project, its you Matt. I look forward to seeing your new work.......
John

I appreciate all input.

Eventually we would love to market a commuter. But, as a boutique manufacturer, we understand the high end market much better. We have to do what we know. Also, it is easier to market a commuter after establishing ones self as a high end company than the other way around. If ferrari marketed a family car at a reasonable price, people would take notice. However, if Diawoo tried marketing a million dollar super car, they would have a difficult up hill battle on their hands.

Matt

Sorry to bump - but curious to know if you ever decided on putting a complete bike together for sale?

If so, what sort of bike is it going to be?

I think there is a big market for mid-drive offerings that still look like bikes i.e. the Cube Stereo Hybrids

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/hybrid/...ereo-hybrid-140-hpa-sl-275-greennorange-2015/ and

Haibikes but with more power than the current Bosch motors provide even unlocked to their heady 34kmh pedal assisted heights... :)...

haibike-xduro-all-mtn-rc-2015-electric-bike-emtb.jpg

By simply watching your posts i imagine your bike on the line with the old Honda dh bike: innovative polished cool light and really powerful.
A unique niche market product.
Naturally mid drive with a hefty motor (sensored?).
Maybe modular: like one small battery in frame for 30 45 min mad sessions plus extra mount for extra batteries inside something similari to touring motos hard bags.
Lighter than a KTM e freeride or a comparable ice mx, really lighter..
Pedals and bike seat or no pedals mx seatseat options.
Pratically a semi custom bike.
Price: really high (not high like joke bikes like the 80000usd all carbon german one but probably more than a stealth.)

Reading through this thread just illustrates how different different people's needs are. Creating an entire bike exaggerates those differences and its going to be pretty hard to please everyone. I imagine most of the larger manufacturers try to satisfy what they perceive to be the most dominant market.

I'd love to see a Flux Beta capacity frame in an even more bike like form and made from lighter materials. No need for an entire bike, I'd rather make my own choices, the frame is about the only area I cannot/do not want to deal with myself.

I also really like what you did with your other bike - the ability to change or adjust the geometry of the frame. Most of the time I would want more of an XC/AM frame, but the option to switch to a slacker full DH geometry would be a real treat. The closest I've seen to this is either your steerer area or multiple rear shock mount positions.

As for making it mid drive - simply having a frame with acceptable room in front of a 68 or 73mm BB will allow a BBS Bafang unit to be easily installed...

I would want to see a 135mm drop out and more thought going into the side cover area. Rather than having 10+ bolts holding it on, using a slot system with one bolt to secure, designed to be operated without tools. This would allow on the fly access to the battery area...

Back