Which Spoke Wrench Size???

Sacman

10 kW
My rear wheel has been making "clicking" and "popping" noises lately and I've been trying to fix it. I wanted to try to adjust the tension on the spokes myself so I bought this Park Tools SW-7 multi-size spoke wrench and found out that none of the wrenches fit the nipples on the Crystalyte wheel. The 3 wrench sizes are .127"/.130"/.135" (or 3.23mm/3.30mm/3.45mm). It looks like they are all too small. The mechanic at my LBS found a wrench that came in his Park Tools mechanics kit that fits but he says he doesn't know what size it is. He has never used that spoke wrench before so he can't tell me the size. Can anyone tell me the correct size spoke wrench that will fit? Thanks.

I got one of those fancy triple ones too, with the magnet. They were all too small for me also. I have an el cheapo six sided round one and the "13" slot works. I guess I'll file the fancy one out till its useful.

Hmmm... I never thought about filing out my new multi-wrench but I guess that's what I'll do to make it useful. Thanks for the idea Vanilla. I don't have any small file that would fit in there so maybe I'll do it slowly with a Dremel and small grinding disc.

Ypedal, that's a Park Tools spoke wrench you got there also. They're color coded for size. The ones sold at my LBS are black, red, and green like the one you have there. They were all too small. The mechanic at my LBS used a blue one...which they didn't stock for sale... but that's the one that fit.

Back