Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I want to ride a normal bicycle but there are too many hills

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • I want to get exercise while going faster than I would on a normal bicycle

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • I don't care about pedaling; I just wanted an electric vehicle

Votes: 25 32.9%

• Total voters
I want an electric car, but seeing how much they cost, the idea of that being cheaper is only true if you get enough parts for free. Or build one that only goes walking distance. But cheapskate that I am, i saw right away that the cost of owning and operating an electric bike is about 10 bucks a day cheaper than a gasoline car. I also was around in the seventies when at times you just plain couldn't buy any gas.

It's way funner. Hills, headwinds, sidewinds not issues. Left with the pleasure of riding flat or downhill.

Its running costs are far lower, it's far more energy efficient for my needs, and it allows me the range to include all of the city without requiring me to break a sweat. Also, avoiding the traffic is always a bonus in my book. Even while driving in a car, I just hate being forced to deal with traffic. I'm really hoping the "auto-pilot" option for personal transport vehicles becomes available in the future: With it set up properly, it would substantially decrease the risk of driving and allow more freedom to choose what you're doing while being transported. :mrgreen:

Its running costs are far lower
You mean compared to the 20th-century automobile... Correct?

I know for me, far cheaper than 20th-century urban "public transit" (aka "omnibus" or "bus", "streetcar", "subway", "cattle wagon" or the "autos" I have owned).

I suspect cheaper and maybe "cleaner" EVen than "pedaling" (propelling a Victorian-style pedal bike by food energy - food energy supported in part or a lot these daze by hydrocarbons aka dino content eg chemical fertilizers (and yes, food is extra fun but extra expensive "downtown" these 21st-century daze of course. Our bike courier ppl are reimbursed more than 17 cents per km now for the food/energy costs of their work...)

Certainly it is easier and more possible these daze to generate our own energy from our immediate environment (direct and concentrated solar also wind, hydro) rather than most of us growing our own food crops or drilling and distilling our own fossil oil...)

U said the EV life is more fun? Hell yes! :twisted:
don't EVen get me started about all the fun bits hehe

I have always wanted one.
I was commuting 160km(100miles) each day to work then I moved much closer (1.6km- 1mile) walking distance.

I read about a Government program to get rid of older cars, $1300 for an electric bike + a one year bus pass(about $800 value).

I had offers for my car of $1500 cash, but I really wanted an ebike. I only paid $500 for the car (from a friend).
so I figared I profited $1600 to get an Ebike. sweet.

rodbotic said:
I read about a Government program to get rid of older cars, $1300 for an electric bike + a one year bus pass(about $800 value).
Hi rodbotic... Interesting to read about this Gov't offer. Yer tag says you are Wet Coast... Is this an offer from the province of BC or? Just curious! Any link?
Cheers
Lock

Lock said:
rodbotic said:
Hi rodbotic... Interesting to read about this Gov't offer. Yer tag says you are Wet Coast... Is this an offer from the province of BC or? Just curious! Any link?
Cheers
Lock

yah BC only. any vehical that is 95 or older. and has had insurance on it for a year and is currently insured. also it must be drivable.(you need to drive it to get crushed.)

http://www.scrapit.ca

rodbotic said:
http://www.scrapit.ca
Very cool. From their main pages:
"Due to the high level of public interest in the Scrap it program we are experiencing unprecedented call volumes. We apologize for any delays in our service levels. We ask for your patience and understanding as we work hard to expand the program across the province."
:D
tks
Lock

I started out with a Zappy scooter. Where I work, there aren't any parking places where it's free all day within about a 1 mile radius.

When the Agency I worked for got moved downtown, one of my co-workers did this whit his non-electric bike. My options at that point were:
1. Pay $80 per month for parking (in 1999).
2. Take the bus, $32/mo.
3. Ride my Trek 700 non-electric bike.

I didn't actually test 1 since it was too costly and I figured it was about the same as the bus, but more convenient since I wouldn't have to deal with schedules. The bike turned out to be faster than the bus. While their actual speed was about the same, I would need to walk a block to the bus stop and two blocks to work after being let off. The bike could be locked up within 10 yards of the front door where I worked.

I was fortunate to have a bike path for about two of the three and a half mile ride, but I needed to use city streets for the rest. Also, there was a significant hill at the destination end, about a half block in very heavy traffic on Broadway. I knew from motorcycle experience that if my acceleration from a stop light was faster, I could blend with the traffic better. On the flat, I could almost do it with the Trek, but it required maximum effort at every stop light.

The Schwinn/Currie discounted to $950 ('99) was just what I needed. Small enough to use the bike racks and powerful enough to deal with hills and traffic.

Now I use it for short trips, grocery shopping (max. 40 lbs or about a half shopping cart), and longer excursions with my wife ('02).

lfairban said:
The Schwinn/Currie discounted to $950 ('99) was just what I needed. Small enough to use the bike racks and powerful enough to deal with hills and traffic.
Wow! That's worth a survey... :mrgreen:

Back