Why Donate??

If it was anyone else than Fechter, I might be skeptical. Been reading a lot since 2007, joined in Dec of that year. Fechter has been generous and helpful with anyone and everyone.

The BMS project? If you wait for corporate industry to fill the gaps that exist for needed E-bike products, you will wait a long time, then the final result will either be crap, or outrageously expensive. LiPo is really taking off, and a well-designed BMS would make LiPo safer. Fechter has helped develop the RC throttle-interface, adding halls to RC motors, upgrading affordable controllers, and countless other product fixes.

ES was started by KnightMB because VisforVoltage was shut down by virus attacks. V was back up after a while, and has remained a great place for E-scooters. KnightMB runs a web-hosting business, and since he also owns and likes E-bikes, he generously took it upon himself to host what has become the biggest and best E-bike forum in the world.

I don't have a Paypal account, can I mail a check?

(edit: spellig corectionz)

alright.. that's too much of that.. Dennis will not be replying and lets move this discussion in another direction .. please.

One of the things i love about this place is that we generally allow everyone to speak their mind, i just wish people would come to their senses before having to be moderated.

* this thread will be cleaned up shortly ... ( on the phone, while typing is not easy )

You know at first I thought Dennis was just an asshat but now I see what's going on here, he's an admin with a second account, a clever construct to get people to donate more :p

I've been on other forums in the past where they put a 'donating member' banner under the persons name. I think that's a reasonable thing to do but I don't think you need to put the actual dollar amount.

I'm happy to donate a few bucks to keep this place going and I like the idea of any excess going to fund R&D. I trust that Dennis will keep an eye on Fechter, to make sure he doesn't move to mexico with the HUGE wad of cash he's fleeced us all for :roll: If he does up and go tomorrow and knightmb trips over the server power cord on his way out I'll consider it back pay.

AussieJester said:
voicecoils said:
Who's next?
Apologies couldn't match the 50 im a poor ol pensioner haha..Dropped in $US20 to the kitty though,
This forum has been a wealth of knowledge without it and the gurus here i wouldnt have an e-bike of the quality
i have now thats for sure! HECK, i might of even had to resort to...a frock motor.. :shock: :mrgreen:

Thanks to Mr Fechter and knightmb For their past.. and continued efforts to keep the site up at their own expense.

Absolutely nothing at all to apologise about. I was a student until quite recently but now I can simply stay back at work late a few days this week to make up the difference.

I've learned heaps, helped others when I can, had some fun, been inspired and met some great people through E-S both online and in person. That's worth something to me.

I just kicked in $25 as what I consider buy in to the discussion. I'm the one that made the "I don't care if you use it to support your crack habit" comment, to distinguish it from the other $25 contributions.

Those who aren't going to contribute under any circumstances should probably just shut up. Seriously - shut up.

I would prefer fund raising to advertising. Let the users pick up the cost rather than any sponser having potential influence on the forum. Consumer Reports would be the model, not Us Magazine. A coop model with member votes on direction and/or an elected board could make sense if the money involved grew much beyond hosting fees and some stipends for those actually doing the work keeping the forum running, which I am all for.

T-Shirts or hats - the traditional fund raising stuff - along with recognition for donations under our names would be good. Voting rights would be another perk, but only if there is something of significant import to be worth the hassle...

def215,

No worries, some of us got thru those broke college days a long time ago. I'll be kicking in an extra $10 on def's behalf.

So I remember a couple months ago when The Sphere was offline.
That sorta gave me the heebie jeebies.
Please do not let that happen again.
I`ll cough up a hairball to do my part.

Sorry, but no money here for Fetcher the Dictator. Job gone. Don't kill me now. :|

D-Man said:
Sorry, but no money here for Fetcher the Dictator. Job gone. Don't kill me now. :|

We wont kill you - only delete your account and all your posts :)

I am glad this thread is taking a turn in the right direction.
As soon as there are enough donations that they all get mixed up I will claim credit for one :p

-methods

methods said:
I am glad this thread is taking a turn in the right direction.

Agreed...

How some twit can carry on like a prok chop over a 'donation' thread is beyond me...

do·na·tion (d-nshn)
n.
1. The act of giving to a fund or cause.
2. A gift or grant.

The act of donating IS NOT compulsory and nothing will be lost be any meber if they choose not to, why oh why must some make so much fromit. We had this same crap on a bittorrent site i was a mod on, people jumped up and down because they assumed they would miss out if not donating money. Some people just dont get it im afraid... ;-S

Thanks again Fechter Knightmb and the rest of the satff for you r efforts

KiM

methods said:
As soon as there are enough donations that they all get mixed up I will claim credit for one :p
Typical methods, never trying new things, pushing the limit, contributing to R&D or providing any services... :lol:

I'll donate some more if Fechter cashes in all this money and gets a photo standing out the front of a sleazy strip joint wearing an ES T shirt and sporting a fist full of cash :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
I'll donate some more if Fechter cashes in all this money and gets a photo standing out the front of a sleazy strip joint wearing an ES T shirt and sporting a fist full of cash :mrgreen:

Fetcher at a strip club? :shock:

[youtube]P7QS3LEN0Ug[/youtube]

StevenR said:
T-Shirts or hats - the traditional fund raising stuff - along with recognition for donations under our names would be good. Voting rights would be another perk, but only if there is something of significant import to be worth the hassle...
I wonder if cafe press or something would work for that. I don't really want a hat or t-shirt for my donation and it would be a waste of money, my donation, to give me one. With something like cafepress maybe have a bunch of items with some logo's and/or phrases and people can buy them and endless-sphere gets a piece. Others can donate straight ahead and preferably not with a $$ amount permanently affixed to their name but some folks like that so it may work overall for more $$.

I just sent $1. WHAT A BLAST! :D

Hey ... I have an idea ... HOW ABOUT a dollar per clue!

For all the nOObs who are too lazy to read the threads and are DESPERATE for answers ...

Well then ... PAY as you learn!

Heck ... I LOVE this place ... but I do get tired of ALL the same old nOOb questions.
Why not just pay for "clues" ... voluntary of course.

You guys are all great!

A few minutes ago I checked the PayPal account and it was showing zero! Apparently I did not fully activate the account.

I was sweating bullets! :oops:

Everything is OK now, and I can see all the names and amounts.

I am overwhelmed at the generosity!
I really did not expect this level of support.
knightmb is going to be happy. :wink:

My personal appologies to anyone who did not get a direct reply message. My inbox is overflowing more than usual.

There were a few especially large donations. Someone suggested special fourm status for members who donate over a certain amount. That could be easily set up. The T shirt thing or something like that sounds like a future project too.
(Special thanks to Quarkbikes and Icewrench!)

And those who can't afford it, or don't see value in it, please do not feel obligated in any way. Your mere presence on the forum adds value and is appreciated.

Excellent news Fechter well done members!!

evblazer said:
I don't really want a hat or t-shirt for my donation and it would be a waste of money

I would suggest t-shirts be sold for double the cost with the proceeds going to site running costs/projects..

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16453

^^ bought it up in this thread i started regarding cards/stickers shirts earlier today

KiM

p.s remember my paypal $$$ take upto 7 days to Mr Fechter soz bout that...

THANKS FECHTER: I figured it out. I started my first MERIDIAN TRIKE (ELECTRIC) build and boy did i make a mistake, I went to my local schwinn bicycle shop for help and thay set me up with a $850.00 PALMER ELECTRIC MOTOR setup friction drive on one wheel, big mistake . Then I found this place and Ihave never had so much fun in all my life as I have hade with these electric bike systems.I am 66yrs old and retired IRONWORKER and now I can go to my grave happy. :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Zoot Katz said:
I suggest every one who's felt obliged to put in their two cents worth on any topic, put their money where their mouth is.
. . .that's my $26.44.
If I had the $24.44, I'd be happy to, but I don't even have the two cents just now. ;) (was dog food replenishment day today, which makes them happy but my wallet sad).

For now, I'll have to settle for donating knowledge where I can.

1. Can we have a "break-even" permanent (sticky) meter to show how donations are going compared with running costs? I hate the idea that KnightMB should have to pay for my fun.
2. No adverts please.
3. No "glorification labels" for those who donate - if you appreciate the forum you will give without accolade. I would find it embarassing.
4. I think it's a good idea to have two "piggy-banks" one for "running-costs" and one for "development fund". Then people can indicate with their donation which "bank" their donation should be applied to.
5. No need for beaurocracy administering the Development fund - if you give to it it means you trust the moderators to apply money where they think it's needed.
Thanks again KnightMB for what you have given up to now.
Now if I can only work out how a Paypal account works..... :oops:

paultrafalgar said:
2. No adverts please.

I donated, and I'd be absolutely fine with more ads too. Maybe I'd even get introduced to some good product I didn't know existed. You guys might make a little more on the ads you already have if they were placed where someone who was interested in the products could see them...

As long as it's not a pop-up and doesn't make noise, anything is fine with me. Just about every OTHER web site in the world has banner ads and adwords to help defray operating costs, and except for the noisemakers and the pop-ups, they don't bother me at all.

paultrafalgar said:
1. Can we have a "break-even" permanent (sticky) meter to show how donations are going compared with running costs? I hate the idea that KnightMB should have to pay for my fun.
2. No adverts please.
3. No "glorification labels" for those who donate - if you appreciate the forum you will give without accolade. I would find it embarassing.
4. I think it's a good idea to have two "piggy-banks" one for "running-costs" and one for "development fund". Then people can indicate with their donation which "bank" their donation should be applied to.
5. No need for beaurocracy administering the Development fund - if you give to it it means you trust the moderators to apply money where they think it's needed.
Thanks again KnightMB for what you have given up to now.
Now if I can only work out how a Paypal account works..... :oops:

Ok, I hate to break the news, but this place is really subsisting on the bandwidth of a server he uses for other existing business purposes. In other words, additional bandwidth costs due to this place's existence = 0. The data storage is under a gig: Have you priced a gig recently? If his other businesses started increasing in their bandwidth allocation to the point of getting into ES's bandwidth, surely endless-sphere's bandwidth would be lower in priority and would be displaced likewise. So, it's not incurring any additional cost.

What it really *additionally* costs is everyone's time: Knightmb's time from his other businesses, and the free time of everyone else who admins.

Back