Why Donate??

knightmb said:
a daily average between 30 to 60 gigabytes a day over the month. It's a good thing it's hosted on a fiber link :mrgreen:
Faaaaaaaaaaark...takes me a month of downloading por..uhm..documentary type media and erm...and other non pirated content
to chew through 50 gig... :mrgreen:

KiM

This site is a living, growing e-bike tree of knowledge... the biggest ,best and most informative on the net ... nourish it in any way you can-- money,information or just a hearfelt thanks to the people who so freely answer your questions :D :D :mrgreen:

AussieJester said:
knightmb said:
a daily average between 30 to 60 gigabytes a day over the month. It's a good thing it's hosted on a fiber link :mrgreen:
Faaaaaaaaaaark...takes me a month of downloading por..uhm..documentary type media and erm...and other non pirated content
to chew through 50 gig... :mrgreen:

KiM
Yeah, kind of took me by surprise too, basically the forum averages out about 3 megabits of output every second (average of course, when people on fast connections surf it, the speeds spike up, etc.) Everytime someone views a topic that has 30 images in it, well it's big upload usage to load them. We all post pictures, movies, files, etc. You have to remember that it's not just member viewing these pages, google bots and random visitors probably land in random topics all over the place that means they also download the images automatically, or files, etc.

Are linked /embedded images and videos from say imageshack and youtube counted towards this bandwidth ? Or is it only files that are attached ?
I guess that's why alot of forums require you to be a member to view attachments.

Hyena said:
Are linked /embedded images and videos from say imageshack and youtube counted towards this bandwidth ? Or is it only files that are attached ?
I guess that's why alot of forums require you to be a member to view attachments.
Embedded stuff uses the bandwidth of the server it's linked to. For example, youtube videos linked into a post doesn't use any of our bandwidth (other than the code to display it which is very small) Images embedded into a post uses bandwidth. Files uploaded to the forum use bandwidth, etc. When it's averages out over the day it's only 1 to 3 megabits (like having a midway fast dsl connection downloading all the time), but a lot of visitors have high speed cable/dsl/wireless/etc. so if you get a bunch of them looking around through the forums then bandwidth consumption can hit 20 to 30 megabits/s in burst if they can receive that fast.

Plus, all the yahoo, google, msn bots that come here basically index the entire forum over and over weekly, which means they read through nearly *every* post and send that back to their index servers. The forum data is 1/2 gigabyte in size, the attachments database is over 3.6 gigabytes in size, so about with a search bot hitting this forum about every day, it's like someone downloading a copy of the entire forum + attachments all the time.

Given the fiber link the server sits on, it's not a big deal, I mean it can handle up to 100 megabits /s if it was really that busy, but compared to the other sites that I host for business purposes, this site is actually quite *low* on the bandwidth consumption compared to the others. :mrgreen:

Hey ... I use my own server for much of my embedded stuff (not all however).
The web dir that serves my stuff (for my posts) comes from here ... http://98.131.176.65/endless-sphere/
This way folks can enjoy detailed pics ... like this one ...
http://98.131.176.65/endless-sphere/24-front.jpg

That should help take some of the load off the knightmb servers.

But still ... dang ... glad you have a BIG PIPE! :lol:

Oh heck ... I just posted here ... there goes another $1.00 USD! :mrgreen:

AussieJester said:
Knuckles said:
The web dir that serves my stuff (for my posts) comes from here ...
Oh..what are the specs of your server Knucles? is it a rack mount ? how much ram? HDD space and processing power?
Knuckles said:
Best hold off on that save yourself some fees, answer my question and make it a $US2 donation :mrgreen:
KiM

No worries ... I'll just edit this post and save a buck :D ... I use http://www.ixwebhosting.com
I've had the account for years ... dirt cheap and unlimited bandwidth usage and storage space.
Heck ... everybody should have some (out sourced to India) online space ... comes in real handy.

methods said:
The problem with people posting off-site is longevity.
hey methods ... why would you even care about my posts anyway? :roll:
You do realize that there is a file size limit on ES uploads ... don't you? :shock:

Knuckles said:
The web dir that serves my stuff (for my posts) comes from here ...

Oh..what are the specs of your server Knucles? is it a rack mount ? how much ram? HDD space and processing power?

Knuckles said:

Best hold off on that save yourself some fees, answer my question and make it a $US2 donation :mrgreen:

KiM

The problem with people posting off-site is longevity.
Nothing sucks more than sifting thru a thread full of "PICTURE NO LONGER HERE" notifications. :x

I have a personal server too and I use it for exceptionally large files but I think it is much better for the average Joe to just upload. Using services with temporary hosting ruin the forum over the long run - and storage does not really cost anything - so I would promote direct upload over "image shack" type services.

-methods

voicecoils said:
Fetcher at a strip club? :shock:

[youtube]P7QS3LEN0Ug[/youtube]

Cruel and unusual! I must have watched this four or five times and didn't see a strip club anywhere. Dunno, mate - this is just wrong. :wink:

Great video! Makes me proud enough to be a part of this mob to get a check in the mail :D

Andy

I'm just waiting for someone to photoshop me into a picture at a strip club...

Thanks Andy, and everyone else who has contributed!

Add my meager $20 to the pile. sorry guys, I wish it could be more but I am way under employedand over a month behind on rent. Though if it wasn't for everyone here I would have wasted god knows how much money trying to do this project on my own or -shudders- still on the golden motors forum.

fechter said:
Thanks Andy, and everyone else who has contributed!

That is exactly what I wanted to do. If Steve wasn't cracking the whip so hard I would have time!

-methods

fechter said:
I don't think anyone needs to photoshop it, an anonymous source just emailed me this picture!

:mrgreen:

Priceless!! :p Nice Pic Hyena.

I agree with Methods, it sucks looking up information from past archives and running across pics that have disappeared.

I'm fixing to send twenty bucks which is cheap at twenty times the price for all the critical information I've received from this site. Unfortunately for the past year my ebike, as has my boat, been relegated to the back burner because of a myriad of personal situations including family deaths, moving, hauling grandkids, etc., but just as soon as this artic weather leaves FL I'll be back in the saddle for a few thousand more miles. (<7K on the bike).

When I rode my 5304 in the rain and destroyed the controller and shorted the motor out it was Endless Sphere that provided the knowledge.
When I needed to hook up my "watts up" the first time it was Endless Sphere that provided the knowledge.
When I needed cheap controllers for my scooters it was Endless Sphere that provided the knowledge.
When I needed to sell the compononets off my GS Moon it was to an Endless Sphere subscriber
When a Endless Sphere subscriber needed a 48 volt LiPo charger I had one at a very reasonable cost.

And perhaps more importantly, when I simply needed a place to go to learn and enjoy the fellowship of other weirdos who do what I do, Endless Sphere provided that place.

mvadventure
Palm Coast, FL

$10 on the way from me...I have a fair knowledge of "shadetree electronics" (If there is such a thing), but when it comes to most of the more advanced stuff, I most always have to ask. I always get a quick response, free from any criticism, even if the answer could have been revealed if I would have went digging for posts. I am in college, with a minimum wage job, but the way I see it...What's $10 to a $250 motor kit?

I do think it would be a good idea to set up a second account to separate 'forum costs' from 'development fund', if only to enable those who care about the distinction (like Jeremy).

This is a top resource, and fechter is a top fellow. (Now, get that bally BMS finished :)

Sent my $ to the highly esteemed benevolent dictator and his cohorts

Keep Up The Great Work!

Would it be improper to post how much has been donated to date ?
I guess in a way it'd be nice to see how much the community has collectively chipped in but on the other hand if it's heaps people might stop donating and figure Fechter has enough 'stripper dollars' :lol:

Hyena said:
people might stop donating and figure Fechter has enough 'stripper dollars' :lol:

because we all know fechter is doing this...hahaha
fat-joe-make-it-rain.jpg

(can someone chop fechter into this pic, please? i have no photoshop skills...lol)

I've had an idea for an electric mountain bike in my head for a long time. I don't mean a bike with a bunch or crap stuck on it. I mean a whole bike designed around being electrically assisted. I've read my eyes out on here and it's definitely influenced my design. I wanted my product to be on the road so bad, I posted the whole basic idea, including pics on several forums. This has been a few years ago and the threads have gone to forum heaven but I just wanted SOMEONE to build what I was seeing in my head. I got a ton of people saying, "If you build it, I'll buy one.", but no one wanted to put the money up to have them built and I'm more of a mechanic/fabricator than a business man so I haven't been able to build anything yet.

Times have changed. I presented my idea to the right person and I now have two small scale investors. So here I am, redesigning everything because I can actually make it a reality now. Being that this has become a for profit venture at this point, I won't be able to post the build thread here until everything's done and settled. What I'm getting at here is that this site has become absolutely priceless to me and I'd love to work with a few of the guys on here to really build something. Right now, my budget only covers parts and tools and I'm doing the work in my spare time. Once I start making a little $$$, I'd love to donate. Is there an address where I can send a money order? (Banks/credit cards/paypal=evil)

Once this prototype is up and running and hits the market, I'm hoping that my financial situation will change drastically. Once that situation has changed, I will be looking for other projects to support, other inventors to set free financially and so on. I don't even like the concept of money but it's come to the point where I need some to get something done. Having stockpiles of cash is much less important to me than furthering the technology that's seething out of this forum.

I also need a BMS but haven't been able to find the right one yet. We need a new rule on here regarding thread hijacks and staying on topic. In the threads with the really cool stuff, there's ten posts that are relevant, and a hundred people blathering about totally different topics. I've been on the computer soooo much lately, it's frustrating trying to wade through everyone's genius barfings to get to the real info. It's my only problem with the way things are around here. Maybe if someone like fetcher comes out with something neat like a bms, it can get posted in a sticky thread that only fetcher can make posts in. Then we could start another thread titled "discussion of fetchers new bms". That way the real info is together and coherent. Just a thought.

I don't like ads. I'd love to contribute if it can be done through snail mail.

:D

Here is the thread for donating. I'm sure if you pm Fechter himself, he can get a snail mail address for you.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16422

I have to be honest here, your post kinda pissed me off. Alot of us hang out here and SHARE projects in the hopes that someone else will appreciate our hard work or have constructive suggestions to improve the design. Your first post on this site after God knows how long you have been lurking and saying you get sick of all the extra BS that people post and why can't we just talk about information, it's just offensive to me. If this site only contained information, it wouldn't have the great dynamic it has, the community part would be gone. Of course you would understand this if you actually engaged in the evolution of our forum instead of trying to suck all the knowledge you can get without adding anything. Anyway, I hope you sell lots of your mountainboards, those are really cool, did you come up with that yourself?? :wink:

mdd0127 said:
We need a new rule on here regarding thread hijacks and staying on topic. In the threads with the really cool stuff, there's ten posts that are relevant, and a hundred people blathering about totally different topics.

These 'free-form' off topic discussions tend to be the ones where some of the best ideas have come from. Sure, people get side-tracked - but this is a "forum" in the real sense of the word. It's where people meet and discuss what's on their mind and bounce ideas off of each other. So don't knock it - it's the breeding ground for creative thinking.......

Back