Amberwolf's Music Studio Technical Stuff

Listen to The Tomorrow Option

The Tomorrow Option, by Amberwolf

or

The Tomorrow Option by Amberwolf

or

Been working on this one a lot more lately while being in bed too tired and sick to do much of anything else. It's evolved quite a bit from it's beginnings, once I figured out how to edit the "uneditable" arpeggiator patterns in the rhythm synth (by exporting it as a midi file, then reimporting it into a track, then editing it there), and also figuring out that I'd also managed to accidentally copy a effects plugin into every clip in that track, and remove it after applying just part of it as needed to the midi data, after which I could then edit out all the "bad" chords, notes, etc, to finally fix the song and make it what it is now (after many hours of work).

After that it was a normal matter of deciding what to keep and what to cut out, then mix volumes and use effects and clip trimming, etc., to make various parts stand out where they should and support the rest when they shouldn't.

Last edited:

or

or

Been working on this one a lot more lately while being in bed too tired and sick to do much of anything else. It's evolved quite a bit from it's beginnings, once I figured out how to edit the "uneditable" arpeggiator patterns in the rhythm synth (by exporting it as a midi file, then reimporting it into a track, then editing it there), and also figuring out that I'd also managed to accidentally copy a effects plugin into every clip in that track, and remove it after applying just part of it as needed to the midi data, after which I could then edit out all the "bad" chords, notes, etc, to finally fix the song and make it what it is now (after many hours of work).

After that it was a normal matter of deciding what to keep and what to cut out, then mix volumes and use effects and clip trimming, etc., to make various parts stand out where they should and support the rest when they shouldn't.

or

or

Sorry for the multiple copies of the post--trying experiments to see if the new forum will ever allow me to actually just type what I need to type without editing my posts for me, which I DO NOT WANT TO HAPPEN, but there is apparently no way to just put a URL in as a URL, it wants to alter what I put in into something else that I DON'T WANT.

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/xenforo-conversion-thread.119104/post-1749757

Last edited:
I've been poking at The Tomorrow Option more, adding various taiko drums, a nice chinese gong, some duduk and sarangi (which get their own "space" with a convolution reverb set in a small canyon), and some mix tweaks.

So the new improved version is now up here:

the previous version wihtout the duduk and sarangi is still up over here:

For years, I've been looking for a better (cheaply affordable) way to play in percussion than using the keyboard, which is how I've done it "forever", but it's always hard to only hit the right ones, hit them the right velocity, and to remember which keys are which percussions, etc. I usually have to edit the percussion even more than the rest of the track...so I often start out using some premade percussion MIDI track and assign it's notes to various percussion sounds in a synth. Sometimes I keep much of it and just edit it heavily, and never end up playing in much of my own, but those songs are usually more boring than the rest of my stuff as they have too little variation in the percussion tracks.

A decade ago or so I started seeing really cheap Rockband drumkits at thrift stores a lot, but didn't get them since they were all for game consoles not Windows computers. Just about the time I found a website that had written software to talk to them and use them as midi drums on the computer, they stopped showing up anywhere, except a handful priced far beyond my means.

A few years back I finally found one of the USB versions for like $7, still had the kick pedal and stand, too, and bought it, but it is the version that doesn't have velocity control so all the notes are the same volume all the time, no variation regardless of how hard you hit it. So I don't use it much, just occasionally to get timing for stuff I end up creating wholly in the computer drawing them into the tracks.
1686627322507.png

Last week, though, I found an even older Yamaha DD55 at gw for less than $25.
1686627394370.png
The main unit is all there was, no kick or hat pedals, but still worth it, since it *is* velocity sensitive and has an actual MIDI out (and in).

A bit of googling and I found that it uses simple piezo elements
1686627512807.png
for it's pads, so I opened up the Rockband pads and found they also do this, so I wired one of the pads to a 1/4" jack to plug into Pedal1 for the bassdrum on the DD55, and BOM BOM BOM it works. ;)

The kick pedal for the Rockband only uses a reed switch in the base with magnet in the pedal, so it won't work as the kick pedal, but it does work on Pedal2 for the hat pedal, using a stereo headphone adpater for 1/8" to 1/4". (it won't work with a mono adapter; that shorts the ring and sleeve which apparently are what the RB uses for it's signal, which I found out as I inserted and removed the adapter to the Pedal2 jack...shink.shink...shink.shink....

So if I want a kick pedal I can put a pad's piezo into the pedal base with some material to transfer the pedal thump to it and protect it (apparently people have used cardboard, foam, etc for their own DIY pedals).

Now I just need to make an adapter to mount the DD55 to the RB's stand, and something to mount a couple of the RB's pads (cut away from the RB kit) to the DD55's casing where they can be reached easily, and where I can just plug one into the Pedal1 jack as needed for the bassdrum pad. (I probably would use it more as a hand-played drum than foot because I have more control over my hands than feet (though not great control of either, which is a big reason why I use a computer to do all this stuff), and probably use the pedal for the hat control so I can do hat type stuff (with hats or other muteable percussion) with both hands and mute it by foot. )

I've been poking at The Tomorrow Option more, adding various taiko drums, a nice chinese gong, some duduk and sarangi (which get their own "space" with a convolution reverb set in a small canyon), and some mix tweaks.

So the new improved version is now up here:

the previous version wihtout the duduk and sarangi is still up over here:

The improver version makes a big difference. I felt anxious/tense listening to the intro of the old version, up to about 30 seconds in when the other instruments/sounds enter. Nothing like that in the improved. This might be another good ebiking one, since it feels like a good cadence for getting in the zone on a long flat stretch.

Thanks for listening to it, and even more for the feedback! (yours is virtually the only feedback I have gotten on it, and one of only a handful of listens according to the site stats on any of the sites it's on)

Most of my stuff is around the same BPM, roughly 100****, and I don't have tempo changes in most of my songs (it's very hard to insert them in SONAR without trashing existing events, tracks, envelopes, etc--if you want a tempo or time signature change you pretty much have to know you want it there before you start creating the song at all, and I never know what I want until I am in progress on something...and what I want changes as the project develops, sometimes radically).

I was actually trying for tension buildup in certain parts of the song, but mostly later on in it, not near the beginning. I went back now and tried to hear the difference you're hearing in that part between the older 300207ai version that's still up on Soundclick and the most recent 300246Ah version on Bandcamp, but I don't feel the tension...maybe I've just listened to them all too many times. :/

****I used to almost always use 99 or 198 for tempo, because the delay I used to play to quite a lot would only let me set it in milliseconds, and it didn't do tempo matching, so the only way to get perfect delay / timing vs measure and beat was to set it to specific times...and like bicycle rims vs motorcycle tires there are only a few places it could overlap with the available setting. My favorite was 450ms Left 600ms Right and various amounts of delay vs dry mix and feedback, and cross-channel mixing. This one only lines up with those two tempos for 4/4 time. So I got used to playing at 99bpm, and mostly stay around that becuase it's more possible for me to play with less mistakes to make at that speed.

These days the delays I use are all tempo-driven capable, so I don't ahve to worry about that. Sometimes I will play something in at one speed and then change the tempo to a higher speed once I play in all the parts I can manage, to do the editing and such. But I still tend to stay around 100-105bpm for the most part. :) Good pedal cadence too, maybe that's why. :)

Well that explains it (the 100bpm), because I was checking out you're newer stuff after getting back from a ride listening to your "Convocation of Lies" tune. Great for a long uninterrupted flat stretch of asphalt. (y)

I may try streaming it tomorrow while riding (exercise the tomorrow option, LOL), before adding it to my playlist.

While it was too hot to continue the yard work outside today, I worked on a new song that's presently at 110bpm. I had started at 150bpm but stuff was not possible for me to play in (espeically the drums, using that Yamaha midi drumkit I'm still learning to play); the tempo may go back up once I finish doing the parts I can actually play in (the rest I'll have to draw in by hand in the piano roll views). It's not anywhere near done enough to put up yet, though--it's still more idea than song :LOL: , and doesn't have a name yet.

So here's first release of the new song,

In These Amber Days

I'm sure like everything else I'll update it over time, but it's good enough now to listen to. :)

The last track I added was using the Ibanez 6-string bass with a capo up to it's highest register...but just before I was going to record the bit I wanted I snapped the high string tuning it with the capo on. :( So I couldn't play it quite as I had intended, and had to manually pitch shift some notes up and fix some timing on it; still not quite satisfied with some parts and some other bits I'm going to have to draw in as MIDI notes to play a VST guitar generator and run that thru the same effects in the track that the actual guitar was, to get the stuff I cannot physically play (even if I'd had all six strings to play with).

Just less than a day ago, I had (backwards from my usual methods) an idea for a name for a bit of music, which has grown into a (probably over-) ambitious suite of movements intended to tell the stories of various solar system objects.

I don't expect this to go quickly, but this is the first experimental version of The Venus Malformation : Movement One , first of the Once Upon A Planet suite.

I am still inventing the sounds to be used in it, so it is rather simple at the moment, but it is listenable as-is. (and still short; it will grow once I have the sounds designed and built).

I got 15 tracks of pre-computer-editing stuff put up as an album

The Elder Sounds Volume I

These are mostly music made last century, using the Ensoniq ASR88 and EPS16+ sequencers and sounds, before I began really using Cakewalk software and a computer to edit and create my music in.

They were played into the onboard 8-track sequencers one track at a time, then glaring mistakes edited out as best as I could at the time (it is a very tedious task with the Ensoniq EPS16+ / ASR88's two-line text only non-graphical display, only able to show one note's data at a time).

So most of these have minimal editing, and could be improved by my editing their MIDI source tracks within the computer, should time ever present itself to me to do this.

I don't have tempo changes in most of my songs (it's very hard to insert them in SONAR without trashing existing events, tracks, envelopes, etc

Can't remember for sure how it was all that years ago in Cakewalk and Sonar, but i'm think i'm understand what is a problem with that. It's all easy and fun when the MIDI events is the only events in the project, but when you add some audio files - things with tempo changes could be tricky. And i'm vaguely remembering the plethora of options scattered between different forms and windows, and all those options are crucial to control behavior of audio events while tempo changing.

Can't say the Reaper is easier to master in that area of expertise. It's the same problem - all is easy with any tempo or signature changes while you working with a MIDI data only. Adding audio is always complicated things before and still is.

reaper_tempo.png

Can't remember for sure how it was all that years ago in Cakewalk and Sonar, but i'm think i'm understand what is a problem with that. It's all easy and fun when the MIDI events is the only events in the project, but when you add some audio files - things with tempo changes could be tricky. And i'm vaguely remembering the plethora of options scattered between different forms and windows, and all those options are crucial to control behavior of audio events while tempo changing.

Yeah, and you can't just globally change a bunch of clips all at the same time, you have to do every single one separately. So it's often a matter of combining all the clips in a track that are involved in that section that crosses this boundary and any that exist in the changed-tempo section, into a single clip, for every track, *before* you change the tempo of a section.

And if you have clips that you have changed the pitch of with the grooveclip function, it may not be able to change *tempo* at the same time. :( Since I do this all the time, the only reliable way to do the tempo change is to commit those clips' changes permanently, removing my ability to keep experimenting with them (without recreating the clip's looping and pitch parameters later).

When I was beta testing SONAR a couple decades ago, as they were inventing this stuff in the program, the testing group asked for easier ways to deal with and access all this stuff, but the company wanted to keep modal windows that let ou only access a single clip / etc at a time....we wanted a floatingg window that would just automatically switch to the new clip's properties as we clicked on different ones, or tabbed thru them, and that had a padlock we could lock it's display with so that the next clip you opened properties of would open a new separate floating window, so youc an use one as a reference to change others. And "clone" functiosn to clone / stamp whatever checked-off properties you wanted from one clip onto another. But none of that ever happened. I guess they didn't believe anyone could ever use such functions (despite multiple people asking for such things, and more).

Can't say the Reaper is easier to master in that area of expertise. It's the same problem - all is easy with any tempo or signature changes while you working with a MIDI data only. Adding audio is always complicated things before and still is.

Yeah, but there are better ways of dealing with some of the issues...very simple for a user to do, but complicated to program (so they don't get written into the software, because AFAICT in software in general, if it isn't easy to code it probably will never happen, especially if it isn't a feature the coders themselves would actually use...or they'll make it in the way that is easy to do, rather than the way that would work better for the end-user).

If I had the CPU power I'd just keep evverythingg as MIDI with the realtime synths and effects, and then tempo changes would be easy, with maybe one or two actual audio trakcs recorded ffrom external sources.

But I have at best about halff the CPU power I actually need, so I have to start committing synths to audio (which greatly reduced the CPU usage) while leavint the effects realtime (which makes a bunch of editng types of things a lot easier). Then wehn i decide I want to change some of the actual notes, etc. of the commited synth, I uncommit (unfreeze) it, then do the editing and refreeze it. Often I have already done a bunch of edits to the audio track from the origianl freeze, so instead of jsut unfreezing i copy all that audio (except the bit I want to cahnge) to a new track taht wont' be unfrozen so it stays like is, then when i refreeze it i save just the part i changed and move that to the new track, and mute or remove the rest fo the refreeze. It gets very complicated sometimes. :(

There are some edits that *have* to be done to the audio itself, pre-effects, rather than to the midi clips, to do certainkinds of things like stuttters, as using envelopes for them is far more complicated than just snipping the clip up into bits.

But none of that ever happened. I guess they didn't believe anyone could ever use such functions (despite multiple people asking for such things, and more).
That's why people love Reaper nowadays - it's alive, in the active development, the forum is full of users having the lively conversations with actual developers. Just like the Nuculars here on the ES!

Can't vouch for the Reaper for your established workflow though. I'm using this DAW like at 5% of its actual capabilities. And i know how painful it can be to re-learn your main creativity tool.

But I have at best about halff the CPU power I actually need.
Oh, the flashbacks! I had what... about a ten different PC's for my DAW software through the years. P75, P166MMX, Celeron 500A, Celeron 1200, P4-3.0 GHz - all those setups are always had an insuffitient compute power for real-time multi-synths projects. The first time where CPU was just "enough" for most of my tasks was the Core 2 Quad Q6600. Then it was i5-750, i7-870, i3-4330. Now i'm content user of the R7 1700 based PC. Never has a problem with it's power for a sound processing - but again, my projects are not that synth-heavy as yours are.

Luckily for us all, the modern DAWs are good with multithreading, so one can really benefit from multicore CPUs!

Often I have already done a bunch of edits to the audio track from the origianl freeze, so instead of jsut unfreezing i copy all that audio (except the bit I want to cahnge) to a new track taht wont' be unfrozen so it stays like is, then when i refreeze it i save just the part i changed and move that to the new track, and mute or remove the rest fo the refreeze. It gets very complicated sometimes. :(
That is another everlasting problem with technology - the inconvenient tool can really hinder one's creativity! So instead of going further in the flight of fancy it's just "oh how i'm tired, i'm guess i leave it as it is, enough is enough".

I wish you to remain enthusiastic enough to go through inevitable upgrade of your DAW rig and then unleash your true unhindered potential!

That's why people love Reaper nowadays - it's alive, in the active development, the forum is full of users having the lively conversations with actual developers. Just like the Nuculars here on the ES!

Can't vouch for the Reaper for your established workflow though. I'm using this DAW like at 5% of its actual capabilities. And i know how painful it can be to re-learn your main creativity tool.

Yes. I should probably visit the forum to see how devs react to userrs, too. :)

My main workflow is significantly determined by the limitations of the hardware and software I use; there's a lot of things I would do differently if it were possible. (i need a brain implant that lets me just tell the computer to do the things i want, rather than the things it actually does)

The main things that would get more complicated is the synths and efffectsthat are SONAR-only (coded to only operate wihtin the program) that I can't really live without, so I would have to run SONAR to host those wiht midi and audio loopback software "cables" like hubi and vb, etc., to have those sync'd with the reaper-hosted tracks. not much different from how i have to host some vst synths outside sonar in a vst host program like herman seib's because they don't work direclty in sonar for various reasons. (which means being unable to control their parameters via envelopes, etc; a problem I wouldn't have with sonar-hosting as i can stick those into sonar tracks).

Unless reaper devs can "hack" the enabling signals that cakewalk used to prevent those synths/effects from being used outside sonar, and cause reaper to send those. Doubt they'd even try, though, for legal reasons if no other (een though cw is no longer around).

Oh, the flashbacks! I had what... about a ten different PC's for my DAW software through the years. P75, P166MMX, Celeron 500A, Celeron 1200, P4-3.0 GHz - all those setups are always had an insuffitient compute power for real-time multi-synths projects. The first time where CPU was just "enough" for most of my tasks was the Core 2 Quad Q6600. Then it was i5-750, i7-870, i3-4330. Now i'm content user of the R7 1700 based PC. Never has a problem with it's power for a sound processing - but again, my projects are not that synth-heavy as yours are.
I'm not sure I have ever had a system that was "enough"; I always want more than it can give, and never really had money to just throw at a top-of the line system (pretty much almost anything I have is someone else's old used stuff****, with very few exceptions). I spent many many hours learning (the hard way) to hack windows xp down to very minimal stuff to get the os out of the way, just barely enough to run things. :lol: Am still learning this on Windows10 that i'm stuck with on hte laptop (no drivers for stuff in xp for it or i'd still use that).

Luckily for us all, the modern DAWs are good with multithreading, so one can really benefit from multicore CPUs!

yeah, even my ancient sonar 8.3 does that at least ok, the laptop i use is not great but has four cores (intel i5-6200u 2.3ghz, 8gb ram). (at some point I need to get a pair of "8GB DDR3 PC3L-12800 SODIMM" to replace the pair of 4gb that are in there now; i don't think it can use the 16gb versions to have 32gb ram...ebay has lots of them for about $40 for two sets (four 8gb sticks) to upgrade both of the laptops (I have an identical spare in case something bad happens so i don't have significant downtime trying to setup a new system...but i haven't been able to get a clone of the harddisk of this laptop yet, the process either won't start or fails somewhere along the way with no error messages, using various sata to usb3 adapters; i have to try taking the drive out and directly cloniing it to the spare ssd drive in my old desktop computer using sata to sata).

That is another everlasting problem with technology - the inconvenient tool can really hinder one's creativity! So instead of going further in the flight of fancy it's just "oh how i'm tired, i'm guess i leave it as it is, enough is enough".

I wish you to remain enthusiastic enough to go through inevitable upgrade of your DAW rig and then unleash your true unhindered potential!
Thanks! :) What you said above is pretty much exactly what happens with almost every project i have, there are just too many things that are "too hard" to fight past, and the list grows longer every day as i get older and have less energy left over from the daily grind of the dayjob.

**** Speaking of old used stuff, at goodwill in the last several weeks, I've gotten a few useful things, most recently a $25 40" monitor that supports the 1920 x 1080 I've been using on a 32" before, so i can now see small stuff on the SONAR screen a bit better, less squinting during editing. The monitor is also much lighter thant he smaller one so the swingarm it is on has to work less hard as i move it around while working on different things. Someday i'll get lucky and run across a 4k monitor there. :)

Also found two old $5 Displaylink boxes by targus, which both work better (even with standard usb cables instead of usb3, and even on the standard usb port) than the much more expensive generic one I'd bought off amazon back when the laptop's built-in vga and hdmi ports finally quit (this was before id' found the used spare laptop). the older targus one works better for my purpose than the newer, since it still works with f.lux for nighttime anti-blue-light filtering so the screen doesn't keep me from gettng sleepy when i need to. Neither the newer targus nor the much newer generic work with f.lux; it's a limitation fo the displaylink software itself plus the newere dl chipsets, apparently, and since f.lux and dl seem to just point fingers at each other, it will probably never be resolved.

The bad part about displaylink stuff is that the cpu usage is pretty high, from 8-14% for the dl software, depending on the stuff on the screen and how fast it changes, plus some wierd bug that if you have any icons on your desktop even if you can't see th e desktop under the windows it takes even more cpu (so i keep no icons on it). So that's cpu SONAR doesn't have access to, and sometimes the spikes in dl cpu usage stall the sonar audio engine. But at least i can still use the laptop, since without an external giant monitor i can't see the screen well enough to use without eyestrain and headaches.

On a rather separate subject...you do some interesting composition in your photos over in your thread for that. Is there a chance you would let me use selected portions of some images as "covers" for the various songs / etc in my Bandcamp and Soundclick pages?

(I've been using mostly my dogs as covers, but they are probably not eyecatchers for most people...the only other cover art I have on there is a composite image I made in the 90s as an experiment in 3d + real images called Starcolumns (very imaginitive name :lol: ) and the cover I composited around the same time for my Uncommon Ground CD).

Early version of an experimental EDM-like project, if you like songs with some energy:

Neotenous Chordata

On a rather separate subject...you do some interesting composition in your photos over in your thread for that. Is there a chance you would let me use selected portions of some images as "covers" for the various songs / etc in my Bandcamp and Soundclick pages?

Sure! Feel free to choose any of my photos you like. Since they all is in low resolution, you could just point to picture and then give me a simple task in plain words, like "crop this photo to this area, make colors a little warmer and less saturated and resize it all to 1920x1920 px". It would take me no more than 5 minutes to carry out such a request.

The main things that would get more complicated is the synths and efffectsthat are SONAR-only (coded to only operate wihtin the program) that I can't really live without, so I would have to run SONAR to host those wiht midi and audio loopback software "cables" like hubi and vb, etc., to have those sync'd with the reaper-hosted tracks. not much different from how i have to host some vst synths outside sonar in a vst host program like herman seib's because they don't work direclty in sonar for various reasons

If you have several PCs, you could use them to run different hosts separately. That would be actually pretty cool - a cluster of PCs interconnected by MIDI and audio cables. Like a humongous analog synths in the 60's!

(intel i5-6200u 2.3ghz, 8gb ram)
That is actually not bad at all. If you got your hands on some used affordable 8 core CPU and more RAM to build a new PC, you could just double your computing power... but that would be it. Twice of a power is great, but not a magic bullet i'm afraid.
Someday i'll get lucky and run across a 4k monitor there.
Be careful what you wish for! Not that long ago i've switched from 2 Full HD monitors to a single 4k TV. "Oh, it's just like 4 full HD monitors put together!" - was my thoughts. But when i've tried to run my software in 4k and 100% scale i've found that quite uncomfortable. You can see all small details just fine, that wasn't the issue. But the amount of visual information and how it was scattered all over big screen - that was not good at all! So i've kind of yield to a circumstances and set my scale to 200%. Now what i left with is a huge "Full HD" screen with a very smooth fonts :LOL:
The bad part about displaylink stuff is that the cpu usage is pretty high, from 8-14% for the dl software
Switching to an affordable 8 core desktop PC with a 16 or 32 gigs of RAM and a dedicated PCI-E graphics card to run as much monitors as you need could really save you from CPU power deficiency. That and the cyberpunk cluster of a different PCs running different hosts and synths on them!

Last edited:
If you have several PCs, you could use them to run different hosts separately. That would be actually pretty cool - a cluster of PCs interconnected by MIDI and audio cables. Like a humongous analog synths in the 60's!
I used to do this back when my computers could not handle enough audio/etc tracks, or when I needed more simultaneous audio ins or outs than one computer could use (before multiple soundcards could be used at once).

Before I used computers to do this stuff, I created evverything in the Ensoniq EPS and ASR keyboards' workstation modes, which have each 8 tracks of MIDI to control up to 8 sounds over three effects busses, which could be sync'd via MIDI clock to keep both keyboards working together. Wasn't too diffficult and they could read each ohter's discs so I could copy tracks from one to the other and edit on either one, but all editing was one note at a time on a text-based display (no graphics at all), so it took many many hours to do much of anything. (see the Uncommon Ground album on Bandcamp for examples--those were all made on that setup).

A long time later, when I started using computers to do this, without the sounds in those keyboards but rather the synths in the computer(s), or soundcards like the Soundblaster Live that could deal with (for the time) huge soundfonts, at first I used actual midi and audio cables, but then someone came up with Midi over LAN, and another with Audio over LAN, and I got their "single cable demo" working well enough to handle at least syncing multiple computers together and feeding the audio thru just one audio output interface to the speakers, though mixdown was a multistage complex PITA process, and the midi tracks, synths, and effects (and any envelopes controlling the stuff) had to be on each individual computer so that that computer's cpu was carryingg only that load.

There are better softwares for handling the stuff now and networks are way faster so it would be nearly a cinch to do the same thing today but have just one main host for most things (exceptions being that efffects and synths I control via envelopes, which I do a LOT, have to be in a host like SONAR with it's own actual tracks for those things, evne if they don't contain the midi data to create the sounds...and that is kind of a PITA).

So...wherever possible I prefer to keep it all on one computer just for the envelope stuff...there is simply no way to do any form of envelope control except within the host of a VST synth or effect, for the non-MIDI-controller parameters (many of the synths and all the effects I use don't even respond to normal midi controllers for any of their internal controls beyond the typical pitch and modwheel stuff, and maybe master volume). So anything externally hosted cant' be controlled and varied throughout the song, and I don't use much stuff like that. (these days even my eq's and multiband compression on busses and tracks get modulated based on what else is going on in the song to thin or fatten tracks to fit them in the mix better without being in the way of other things).

I've still been working (for years, very intermittently, as I find patience) on getting multiple computers all setup with the necessary software (host, vsts, etc) to do this sort of thing, and as backups, but none of them are very powerful, and it is such a huge PITA to setup all the software (since a drive image can't be used as the computers are not even similar), and if things are not installed in just the right order, sometimes you wind up wiping the drive and starting over just to get them all to work correctly with each other. :/

There are some really fancy and expensive things like Vienna Symphonic Library (orchestra stuff) that have smart software to essentially run itself on remote computers, all of them controlled by one host program on one computer so you can use as many computers as are needed to handle the load to create your work (like orchestral movie scores), without having any midi or audio hardware at all on the remote systems (just on the host). Way beyond my means though, even for the most basic version of VSL. (though I have the BBC Labs orchestra, that I am slowly learning to use. (actually orchestrating "real" stuff like that to get the kinds of music usually created with it is very hard)).

That is actually not bad at all. If you got your hands on some used affordable 8 core CPU and more RAM to build a new PC, you could just double your computing power... but that would be it. Twice of a power is great, but not a magic bullet i'm afraid.

I poked around after you posted that, and couldnt' find any affordable stuff as components. I found some "reconditioned" stuff (mostly by Dell) on Amazon, etc, for somewhere around $800-$1000 that were 8-core and something like half again as fast as what I have, with 32gb ram and various harddisk sizes. Pretty far beyond my budget for something that will not make me any money or solve a daily-need problem, unfortunately.

Some are available with 4 or even 6 cores and slower speeds for half or a quarter of that price, but I'm not sure it'd be worth doing for just that, given the at least dozens to potentially hundreds of hours it may take to get all the software installed and working the same way it is on my present machine. (since I wouldn't be making any music or anything else fun during that time, just the stressful software install/setup work).

Be careful what you wish for! Not that long ago i've switched from 2 Full HD monitors to a single 4k TV. "Oh, it's just like 4 full HD monitors put together!" - was my thoughts. But when i've tried to run my software in 4k and 100% scale i've found that quite uncomfortable. You can see all small details just fine, that wasn't the issue. But the amount of visual information and how it was scattered all over big screen - that was not good at all! So i've kind of yield to a circumstances and set my scale to 200%. Now what i left with is a huge "Full HD" screen with a very smooth fonts :LOL:

Yeah, I might not be using the montior at 4k, but it would be much sharper and smoother...however, if it was sharp enough and I could get at least 2000 pixels high, it would REALLY help in doing stuff in SONAR--I can only fit about 4-5 tracks at a time on screen to work with, depending on what I'm doing with them, and that means a lot of wasted time rearranging tracks on screen to show the ones I need to see at the same time to sync stuff up and edit things. I probably spend at least the same amount of time scrolling around and rearranging tracks as I do actual editing.

I tried stacking two (dissimilar) monitors vertically, but I couldn't ever get them to line up horizontally everywhere on the screen due to slightly different size pixels, etc. and that means I can't line up stuff in SONAR tracks properly (even one pixel off can mean a large timing difference). If I had all-identical monitors it'd probably work perfectly fine, but not with what I can afford (which is whatever I run across at goodwill, pretty much).

Switching to an affordable 8 core desktop PC with a 16 or 32 gigs of RAM and a dedicated PCI-E graphics card to run as much monitors as you need could really save you from CPU power deficiency. That and the cyberpunk cluster of a different PCs running different hosts and synths on them!
Yeah....just that for me, it's not quite that simple. I could probably come up with a new workflow to use a system like this (if I had the money to build it) but my present workflow and the limitations of the technology don't lend themselves to it.

Sure! Feel free to choose any of my photos you like. Since they all is in low resolution, you could just point to picture and then give me a simple task in plain words, like "crop this photo to this area, make colors a little warmer and less saturated and resize it all to 1920x1920 px". It would take me no more than 5 minutes to carry out such a request.
Thanks! I poked thru part of your big thread today and found a few that have areas I think I could turn into song/album art, but I will have to test-crop them and see how they look first.

If you happen to have any near-straight on shots of the highly-textured/aged aircraft skin areas, like in the red-blocked area of this image, I love super-detailed textures like that (used to create them from scratch for 3D models in Lightwave, but it takes many many hours) and I have some ideas on a cover for some of the more electronic / technical songs (especially those like A Billion Bags of Seawater, which is about my brain...or really, any brain).
101_tu116_IMG_4914cropped.jpg

Someday I need to find some public-use pictures of old zeppelins, taken from another one with both in clouds....to use for Cloudwalkers.

BTW, I saw you "liked" the post for Neotenous Chordata, what did you think of the song itself? (it's still a work in progress, so it's not on Bandcamp yet, where I try to only put stuff I'm not still likely to rearrange or change in major ways).

I have a new intro section for it that isn't so abrupt, should be done uploading in a few minutes, at the same link as before:

Neotenous Chordata

Last edited:
Intro and bassline now has a very different sound.

Neotenous Chordata

and that is kind of a PITA
Now i feel you! It's always ends with the "time vs money" dilemma. All my advices was in wrong presumption that the time is not the issue. But who am i kidding - as a 40 hours per week worker myself i know how it's hard to find a time or strength to carry on with hobbies.

So the only viable option in such circumstances is to save enough money to buy a PC enough to carry all your workload and then spend a several weekends to set it up properly. The PITA indeed!

actually orchestrating "real" stuff like that to get the kinds of music usually created with it is very hard
Yes, the amount of details in such work is overwhelming, however the complex the orchestral library is - one little slip and many people with enough listening experience could hear there is not a real orchestra. But sometimes it's not the problem, fake or not - but music is music. I'm still remember how we created the soundtrack for the audiobook with the mere Edirol Orchestral, SONAR and Celeron 1200. That was the year of 2004. Sometimes i still listening not to the audiobook itself, but to the OST :LOL:

if it was sharp enough and I could get at least 2000 pixels high, it would REALLY help in doing stuff in SONAR--I can only fit about 4-5 tracks at a time on screen to work with
It could actually work with a huge enough 4k monitor!When you zoom out, fine details are still there, and the window controls, buttons, menus and such would be same size as on Full HD monitor. It could worth a try, at least it would not hurt (except the potential problems with the CPU performance depending of the GPU you would use to connect monitor).

If you happen to have any near-straight on shots of the highly-textured/aged aircraft skin areas, like in the red-blocked area of this image, I love super-detailed textures like that
All my aircraft-related photos are in the last pages of my thread (the Loon on Caspian sea beach, Gagarin's MiG and all the pics from Ulyanovsk museum). Of course, the actual resolution of them is far more than i've posted. Unfortunately, all of them were shot from a distance and not with a best lens. Here is the example of 100% unprocessed crop (clickable) from one of the photos (and a photo itself, converted to a jpg, to big to being shown in this post, but it should be downloadable):
tu154crop.JPG

Processing would make color, contrast and detail much better, but it couldn't add details which wasn't there in the first place.

Attachments

• tu154.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Back