Electric Motorcycle Scooter Remake Assistance Requested

Milou

1 W
Hi: A while ago I bought Serengeti Panther Electric Scooter with the following Specifications:

Motor Type: 500-Watt Electric
Brake Type: Front and Rear Hand
Number of Wheels: 2
Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Charger Type: 110–220 VAC UL-Approved
Average Recharge Time: 6 Hours
Top Speed: Up to 30 mph depending on rider's weight, road conditions, and other external factors
Distance: 50 miles per charge depending on rider's weight, road conditions, and other external factors
UPC: 8 94836 00253 2
Motor: 500 Watts
Battery: Lithium-Ion
Battery Life: 1,000 Recharges
Top Speed: 30 mph
Ride Time: 80 Minutes Per Charge
Charge Time: 5–7 Hours
Charge Input: 220V or 110
Charge Output: 48V/3A
Unit weight 175 lb.

Long story short, it has a defective battery/charger? Will not charge beyond 32V. The scooter will not work. I also suspect the controller (scooter only worked once and quit within a few seconds). In any case, I would like to get this thing running even if I need to replace some of the equipment. Given I am also a tinkerer, I would like to increase the motor performance for hills. We have several hundred yards of roads that climb steeply. At first I would like to start out with already made kits. Else, I will do my own piece meal modification with all your help! First, some quick first thought, expert suggestions, needed from all you guys??? Thanks in advance. Regards JJ

First you might want to read up on other scooter upgrade threads to get an idea what you are getting into. There are a bunch of them, some with lots of good info that you can generalize. Most are here
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10
or here
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12
or here
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35

It does sound to me like your primary problem is the battery. Too bad, because the battery tends to cost double the rest of the scoot or bike.

Start with some simple troubleshooting stuff. It's amazing how often the problem turns out to be just that the plug between the charger and the battery is broken.

You'll need a digital voltmeter to check stuff, and make sure you don't mix up the polarity when you try bypassing that plug. If you are lucky, you fix a broken charger, or just replace it, and the battery is ok. If not, then you have to replace or try to repair the battery.

Lots of options out there for a better battery we can discuss later if need be. Let us know at least what continent you live on, maybe you live next door to one of the geniuses here.

Today is my lucky day. Thanks for the suggestion. I do live near one of the genius (Amberwolf, Phoenix AZ). I am in the town Carefree, AZ only several miles away from Phoenix, AZ. I realize, I do need to make some checking on the present equipment but, do not know where and who to trust? I am not the best in the electrical field. After having read and keep reading the blogs on all this EV vehicle concept I am getting the idea I will be spending Beaucoup $$$$ and time. What is most amazing is the tirelessly reply you guys are giving to all of us. Thank you. Regards JJ

Back