World Domination, I just got my self a 3d Printer!!!

Lveled my bed last night - made so much difference. Actually it was pretty level, but I reduced the initial gap between head and platform, so the first layer gets squished down nice and flat - awesome adhesion with a quick lick of fresh hairspray beneath.

Some more bits I have been doing:
IMG_20130305_073816.jpg

IMG_20130305_224725(1).jpg

Samd said:
Lveled my bed last night
I levelled my bed once. Ahh, those were the days. I think her name was Tania. Or was it Sasha ? Wait, are we still talking about 3d printers ? :lol:

What's the hairtie made out ? Some sort of more rubbery plastic ?

Broooooooce!!! :p
Wherefore art thou Bruce.

Nah it's regular ABS> Toughness is the combination of hardness and flexibility. Or stealing from Wikipedia: "In materials science and metallurgy, toughness is the ability of a material to absorb energy and plastically deform without fracturing;"

It really is a good allround plastic if you have to choose.

Some pretty cool flexible ABS projects here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/PrettySmallThings/collections/flexible-inspiration/page:1

full-throttle said:
Thanks Sam for the pulleys, they look really good. I'll smooth one out with acetone vapour later on..
Can you take a close up before and after shot ? I'm curious to see what sort of finish can be achieved with the current generation of printers.
They all come out a bit rough from what I've seen but if they can be cleaned up easy enough then I think that'll convince me to pull the trigger.
Apparently my expectations are a bit high, to use conventional printer terminology it seems I'd like laser printer resolution when currently available (or perhaps more accurately, affordable) tech is only up to 9 pin dot matrix level.

full-throttle said:
Sure it wasn't Bruce :mrgreen:
You've been here long enough now to know the proper Aussie ways and should be aware there's a strict Bruce no poofters rule :p

[youtube]_f_p0CgPeyA[/youtube]

For finish - go here Hydinkulous:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785&start=1550#p709104

Bruce'll be at frockfest fer sure.

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/03...mpaign=Feed:+wired/index+(Wired:+Top+Stories)

"...The design, created by 83-year-old engineer and inventor Hugh Lyman, is the winner of the Desktop Factory Competition, an X-Prize-style challenge that kicked off last May. Created by Inventables CEO Zach Kaplan and Pocket Factory founder Bilal Ghalib, and backed by the Kauffman Foundation, the challenge set a goal to turn cheap, common plastic pellets into the filament utilized by most desktop 3-D printers in order to make it easier to access the 3-D printing world...Lyman’s design stores raw plastic pellets in a hopper, melts them into a liquid state, and extrudes print-ready filament for a fraction of the cost of store-bought equivalent.

Project moarsauce now complete. Domestic bliss.

Dunno why the pic rotated...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130320_213943.png
    ForumRunner_20130320_213943.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 2,353
[youtube]nkXG1nsh-FA[/youtube] this is far off but ,,, invokes freedom of the press the 3d press

Too bad we don't ride stinkybikes - check out this muffler printjob. Nice application of 3d print.

http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2013/03/vacuum-pump-muffler/

3d printers were featured on the Today Show this morning!! They are a little late to the party. They printed out a hair comb during the show on what looked like some version of a commercial rep rapper.

Bought a 10 dollar cam on ebay and clipped it to my printer. Downloaded the opensource 'iSpy' software. Set up to take a photo every few mins and drop it in a google drive dir.

Now I can point my phone or desk PC to it and see what is going on in the shed! I've made it public, so you can check out my inane creations.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9yGWuHxeLnjM29jZC16QURIV3M&usp=sharing

Cool.
It's like a guessing game, trying to see what the item is before it's finished.
Tell me, what is it you're printing in this pic ?

sam-print.jpg

:lol:

You sir, "are and idiots"

Actually its some clip on wings for my kids shoes. if the wife thinks its cute i get to buy more printers ;)
xerxes.jpg

Started work on a 5s or 6s wide headstem collar too. It will end up having a capso you can run rc lipo on top bar of frame...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130411_163447.png
    ForumRunner_20130411_163447.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 2,182
Samd said:
Actually its some clip on wings for my kids shoes. if the wife thinks its cute i get to buy more printers ;)
Smart man, the wife on side = win.
Would you buy another one the same or are there other better options since or coming soon ?
I'm still looking to buy, just waiting for the next big thing.

PS: It was Hermes that wore the winged kicks :p

The Xerxes wings is a play on words of an old persian battle move - divide and conquer. The little guy has this fancy-pants taste for persian feta and avocado. Deep huh.

Yeah I'd buy the same model. The learning curve is lengthy and empirical, as a number of the parameters you can select interrelate with each other. Most people get frustrated at this and want the equivalent of an inkjet printer that just outputs. But I really like the fact that you can mess with thing like temperature and speeds for all kinds of subsets and get just the result you need - you just need to approach it with engineering in mind.

And the pronterface software I use to print with is highly configurable but that means you have to know what each tab on the screen does. At first it makes no sense in terms of linear workflow, but once you understand that each tabbed module was written seperately as part of an evolution over time, and what the interdependancies are, you can get a lot out of it.

It's slow because you tweak a parameter, mash print, head off to work, and that night you get to figure out what the results of your tweak really were. There's no instant feedback. That's not as bad as it sounds as they only use a few hundred watts and the plastic isn't costly on a per print basis. So you just have to keep at it learning a bit each day.

The conversion simulator inside the software (skeinforge) is handy because you can sit at your desk or on a plane, process a model for 5 or 10 mins, and then zoom in on the resulting code to see what the machine would be told to do layer by layer. It's like a flight simulator for 3d print and that saves you a lot of time. Also stops you from sending dud models to your machine because there was a hole in the mesh or the like, and you don't waste a few hours.

Hope that helps fella.

I am considering a second machine btw, and would make it the same. The solidoodle three is the same as the two, just a bigger bed/volume. "An extra two inches".
I might consider the larger one but I don't know I would use it often. I found a guy up your way who builds A4 bed size ones and we now have a reciprocal deal that if I need a big print he will do it, and if he is without a machine between his build and sell cycle then he can use me to output. This gives me some comfort if my own ever dies.

Cheers.

Still working on my solar heliostat. I think the price is a real winner compared to commercial products if it ends up being accurate enough. Maybe a 50% chance now IMHO that it'll work as intended. Rather than dual post you can see a pic of the 3d bits here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=41549&p=728315#p728315

Have you seen the xbox hack? Free threed scanner.

Yeah that was the kinect thing them mentioned in that article (and I'm sure I or someone else posted about it earlier)
hmm, too bad I have an older xbox.

Sam I thought of a good application for your printer today and something you could probably make money off - large CA mounts to go around stems.
Call me OCD but off centre CAs because of the stem really bother me.

Back