World Domination, I just got my self a 3d Printer!!!

^^^^ +1 Put me down for one if you decide to make them ;)

KiM

Easy, almost finished my heliostat base. Started plans on fri for a Turnigy wattmeter mount, you must've been part reading my mind!

I think I have some CA dims somewhere...

Hi guys,

been reading most of the past 19 pages of this thread, quite interesting,

my 3d printer arrives tuesday, i bought this one:
http://www.felixprinters.com/product-catalog/complete-kits/3d-printer-felix-2-0-complete.html#.UXPZ8r-FzfA

comes in kit or pre-assembled,
claims to be printing below 0.1mm @ 0.05 mm actually, they have some pretty good parts in their photo gallery, look at the small red nut,

he's also selling a rubbery type of plastic, called Arnitel, some have started to play with it, seems to be easy to print if you don't go to close to 0.1 mm layers,
i think that's gonna be perfect for the insulation parts i need for my motorbike build,

if you guys want to 3d scan, be aware that everyone's got a free 3d scan, you just need a digital camera or iPhone, that's it, check out :
http://www.123dapp.com/catch
they have the app for iphone, pc, and online too. check out what some people have scanned, quite amazing. it can scan objects of a few cm across to cars and houses !
once you get used to taking the correct pictures, you can get a pretty decent scan quality.
i just scanned my sunglasses because i want to add a 3d printed windshield between the frame and my face to stop the wind from entering.

Then you can play with the scan and modify it, merge it with another scan or shape with this cool software:
http://meshmixer.com
go through the online video tutorials, it's worth it,
you then export your model to a .stl file ready to print

cool stuff and free !

Samd said:
Have you seen the xbox hack? Free threed scanner.
Similar to 123D?

Hyena said:
large CA mounts to go around stems
The problem is stem profile/size varies a fair bit.
Two clamps around the handlebars would be better I think. A lot less variation, more forward screen position, easily adjustable screen angle, twice as many attachment points.. etc

I could make it easily to attach via the headstem nut, but the angle of inlcination of stems varies, although I could design around that too.

It'd be easy to offer a handlebar variant.

I'll post some concepts tomorrow.
Either way I reckon I could get US/UK airmail to under three bucks...

full-throttle said:
The problem is stem profile/size varies a fair bit.
Two clamps around the handlebars would be better I think. A lot less variation, more forward screen position, easily adjustable screen angle, twice as many attachment points.. etc
Oh yeah that's what I actually meant when I said around the stem - I meant around as in just not offset to one side. So either dual clamps as you said, or an offset that essentially puts the mount off to one end of the CA so to body of it sits over the top of the middle of the stem and centres the CA on the bars. Or as Sam said you could mount it via the star nut. I guess the star nut version would be slightly more universal in terms of different bar sizes and what not, though not as sturdily mounted as dual bar clamps. I know jarring around over rough terrain at speed the one on my fighter is always coming loose

Hyena said:
Oh yeah that's what I actually meant when I said around the stem
Ah ok then. So two hinged clamps to allow for 25.4 and 31.8 bars, 60~70mm apart? Optional mount for lights underneath the CA? Most chinese lights like Migicshine use crappy o-rings..

Samd said:
I could make it easily to attach via the headstem nut
Something like this ?

full-throttle said:
So two hinged clamps to allow for 25.4 and 31.8 bars, 60~70mm apart? Optional mount for lights underneath the CA? Most chinese lights like Migicshine use crappy o-rings..
Mounts for lights would be cool. I'm not familiar with migicshine, are they a kiwi made one ? :p
I find their o-ring mounts aren't too bad as long as your bars aren't too small, but a neat all in one solution would be 4TW.

Samd said:
I could make it easily to attach via the headstem nut
Something like this ?
Bloody Justin, trust him to think of everything. :p

full-throttle said:
Something like this ?
I'm trying to see what Kepler has there for it's mounting. Is it s stock CA mount?

I'm planning to print one concept tonight. But being a low rent non-CA owner I need test pilots. :p

Ah cancel that - just spotted it further down the page. Looks like they run for stock on the ebikes.ca page.
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_CA.php

Still happy to pump a couple out for the fun of it - the CAD drawing is there....

Well, it's on the printer, images every 3 mins, in about 3 mins
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9yGWuHxeLnjM29jZC16QURIV3M&usp=sharing

Hugues said:
Samd said:
Well, it's on the printer, images every 3 mins, in about 3 mins
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9yGWuHxeLnjM29jZC16QURIV3M&usp=sharing

That's cool !
Which program do you use to upload these images directly to Google drive ?

There's a good open source program called iSpy (happens to be aussie). I thought about it for awhile - they charge you 5 bucks a month if you want to stream to the web. So I ignored that and told it just to save to my google directory. Then I set it to public for that dir. Neat huh.
About to order another 4 webcams for my shed to point out into the yard for security. You can break in and steal my old laptop - too bad you're already on the web chump! Suck it!

No stress Aussie Jester - printed a trial unit in clear for someone to trial. Will send it to Jay. Actually clear would be kinda cool with an LED inside.
But I can run a black one out tomorrow if you PM me your address to trial. Need feedback on dims and thicknesses. Feel free to shoot me a request on the dims in the image back up a post or two ago. It's easy to mod the files.

Will start work on the across the bar version on Friday, per F-T's ideas.
Cheers!
IMG_20130424_223110.jpg

Cool mate I'm happy to test it out. If you want to wait until you've tried the dual clamp I can give you feedback on both.
I've actually got a new large screen CA here in my rainy day bucket that I could send down if you wanted to do some more advanced case modelling / mods.
It was brand new and first ride out hit a bump and the display went out. The backlight still works, just no text. I'm sure it's just a lose wire or otherwise an easy fix but I haven't had time to sit down and troubleshoot it.

No stress. A bit of dimensional tweaking. Should look good in black. Length ntb on a 50mm stem.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130425_165523.png
    ForumRunner_20130425_165523.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 2,913
A lamp for the kids. Model courtesy of #dizingof

Support material at base.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130425_203437.png
    ForumRunner_20130425_203437.png
    201 KB · Views: 2,910
You had a play with the acetone trick for smoothing over the surface ? I imagine things like the lamp would come up much nicer with a smooth surface.

Oh and I missed this before:
Samd said:
About to order another 4 webcams for my shed to point out into the yard for security. You can break in and steal my old laptop - too bad you're already on the web chump! Suck it!
You better invest in better quality units that the ones currently uploading to your share or the images of your thieves may as well be characters from 8 bit video games :p
But yeah I have a similar set up with cams around my house/yard with motion detection on the one at the front door that emails me photos when someone is there. Handy to know when the postman has left a card saying I have a package at the PO (which I can then leave early for and collect on my way home) Or just for logging in from the the web at work or on my phone to see the kids running around the yard :)

Yeah my webcam currently has to deal with a focal length of 70mm to 170mm, can't handle it. And I could turn up the res. Pity the printhead is moving at 50mm/sec.

F-t did a nice acetone run on the gear I made for his GNG - ncie and smooth. It also bonds the layers much better and you get a homogenous item instead of some brittleness between layers.
The grainy nature of the lamps kinda work up close tho - diffuse light. Would be cool to have one of each.

Back