Xnova 8kw rc middrive first test

Creative reduction on the rear swing arm. I like it.

But wouldn't it be better for the belt in the first reduction stage to have a straight line from the motor drive on top to the first pulley? And have the tightening done with a larger diameter bearing on the under side?

Ok thx i wil try to relocate the belttensioner . I also have to reinforce the strida pulley, yesterday i did make a testdrive its very short on the trottle and will wheeli instantly.
Cannot test topspeed yet........first i have to put on brakes :oops:

I did make a testdrive today ,i have the impression that the secondreduction belt slips sometimes under load. Its like the belt is stretching.
Maybe i have to switch to a chaindrive that can handle the power.

Hey Miles , didnt know that Xnova had a pre-history as xera, mayby they fashion-up the motors and sell them more expensive :?
I am using the tareq 50, 8000watts nom and 13000watts for 5 seconds. I wonder do You use a stridabelt on youre bike?

bionicon said:
Hey Miles , didnt know that Xnova had a pre-history as xera, mayby they fashion-up the motors and sell them more expensive :?
X-Era were about as good as it gets but only had the 40XX series. They were never cheap!
I wonder do You use a stridabelt on youre bike?
I use a Gates Powergrip GT3 belt. You need to calculate the torque at each stage to check that the belts can handle it. What is the maximum phase amps you're using? What is the reduction ratio on the first stage (from the motor)?

You want to avoid tension idlers altogether, if possible....

The first reduction is 5.14 to 1 the second is 5.5 to 1 with a KV of 530. The controller is a castle HV160 working on 50 volt.

I made my calculation on the rc drivetraincalculator (recumpent site) its geared for 80km/U . I think the no load is over the 100km/U.
The pulley on the motor is 14 t to a 72t pulley. On the second red. its a pulley of 18t to the strida of 100t.
The second reduction belt is a gates powergrip HTD of 13mm width.

So its maybe better to switch to chain drive for the second reduction. I was thinking that I could addapt the beltdrive of the zero motorcycle but its to expensive.
Also switch from the rightside to the leftsidedrive, makes it more easy (not for addapting a discbrake). I also noticed that i have to reinforce with thicker aluminium to make it more rigid.

It should be ok with a 13mm belt.

Changing to a better belt will give you a bit more headroom.

How are you setting the tension?

bionicon said:
I also noticed that i have to reinforce with thicker aluminium to make it more rigid.
Yes, that's critical..

did change some settings today ,the trottleresponce is less agressive but the belt still slips under load even afther i add two beltensioners.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,348
Gates has free programs that can help you set up and size belt drives. I believe design IQ and design flex pro. They will also calculate belt life, and proper tension.

Check for flex in your gearbox/swingarm

I did something remotly similar.
By pinching the belt I can see were things flex.
I can pass 5000W input without skipping but my belt reduction flex quite a bit and it's near skipping.
I will make it more stiff. Stiff is you friend for belts. They pull quite a lot.
For belt tension, aluminium shrink enough to pose problems with temperature for the long belt, short one it's ok.
I had this problem with aluminium boom model helicopters and my electric bike also. (from 22C -> 3C it's enough to be concerned)
Spring loaded idler did solve the problem on the helicopter.
You can also use a carbon drive belt. they are way better that htd.
Strida pulley is ok with carbon drive but I dont know about your small one. you need to use proper thoot profile.

I dont think its the flex in the system there is almost nothing and the tension on the belt is strong.
Maybe its the small pulley, i found this on ebay maybe its not the rigth form and is that the cause of skipping the belt.

Nice lightweight build. When you find the right pulley and belt and get it all dialed in I am sure you will not have any more skipping.
Great work putting it on the swing arm.

Just as an FYI, I have nothing to do with Xnova motors and I can't say anything about their quality. The design from the outside looks exactly the same as the motors I designed. I stopped selling motors some time ago when I started working on camera gimbals and other flying things at www.freeflysystems.com

Back