Whos going to buy this thing??

Jason27

10 kW
$5,000 for a 24 volt 250 watt motor???? Seriously, how can this thing win an award when the reatail value is insane?

We could all build an ebike better than this thing. Geez $5000 really???

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-20117497-235/ideos-electric-bike-wins-design-competition/

And not exactly for sale. But cost for any kind of prototype is obscene.

Too Funny! Top prizes in both these competitions are electric!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think the corporations have seen the green, and realize the potential of a new market, so this is a way of giving their "blessing" to the previously shunned "cheater" bikes.

Yes, any bike in a competition such as these is going to be a one-off creation, but the efforts to promote and give credence to electric bikes is just gonna mean more for us to buy, maybe they will even start producing something close to what many of us have been doing on our own ... don't hold your breath! :roll: :p :lol:

Almost as crazy as the optibike.

Try harder next time guys !!!

Can't kill ebikes until we fully convince everyone that they cost as much as a car.

@neptronix, Here's another opinion of mine you will love :p :lol: I hope ebikes don't catch on for yeeears, because when they do, the all powerful all knowing Gubmint, will crack down on them, making ridiculous laws and more than likely over regulate them to extinction, all for our protection of course :wink: longer they stay a low profile thing, the better as far as i'm concerned.

KiM

AJ, i identify with that, especially considering the BS in Europe and Australia that has gone down.

On the other hand i would rather see people get out of their cars and stop burning gasoline / driving, and promote electric bicycling at any opportunity i can get, help anyone at any opportunity i get, etc.

And if there is a vote or opportunity to lend my opinion to my government, i will happily sink hours into that.

the day the government wants your opinion, they'll send you an email, just so you know what it should be.

Thank god, that in New Mexico there is no such thing as an Ebike. I hope it stays that way a looooong time. Mopeds get to go 30 mph. :twisted: Once they make an ebike law, no telling what they'll do, make a 15 mph limit? no thanks. Much prefer to keep on flying, under the radar.

Jason27 said:
$5,000 for a 24 volt 250 watt motor???? Seriously, how can this thing win an award when the reatail value is insane?

We could all build an ebike better than this thing. Geez $5000 really???

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-20117497-235/ideos-electric-bike-wins-design-competition/

You know, if given the choice between this one and the pink bike with the Bionx kit, I'd take this one even though it's lower power, I could always use a different controller & add some battery power!

The pink bike wasn't any cheaper!

The winner with the pink bike, sold a regular PEDAL bike with no power for about $5,000 to help finance this year's bike! :lol:

I still dont think the police can enforce any electric bike laws. What are they going to sit and watch each bike pass by? Ebikes will never be mopeds or scooters and should not be treated the same.

Also, yes that ebike is way overpriced. Companies need to focus on affordability.

lester12483 said:
I still dont think the police can enforce any elctric bike laws. What are they going to sit and watch each bike pass by?

Also yes that bike is way overpriced. Companies need to focus on affordability.

Agreed, however, I think this contest is more about new trends and designs to try and get the bicycles being sold in shops to be something closer to what the average commuter wants, and I think it's a good sign that E-Bikes are leading the way. :D

None of the bikes in this competition are meant to be a floor model, think of them more like things you see at motorcycle/car trade shows, they are just meant to be examples of design trends that should be followed for future show room floor models.

lester12483 said:
I still dont think the police can enforce any electric bike laws. What are they going to sit and watch each bike pass by?
Some places, they do that now and then. Tucson, with the various motorized bikes, they cracked down on people going ONE mile per hour over the 20MPH assisted-bike limit. The only reason htey would bother doing that kind of stupidity is to try to get them off the streets entirely.

Australia has had it's share of such things, too, IIRC.

Back