Lcd overvoltage error?

jesusjesus

10 W
hi

im running my 48v kit with 15s lipo.

at full charge (60.7v) i get an blinking battery on lcd and hub wont run.

is there a solution other than going down to 12s?

thank you

I believe you need to set new values if you change the voltage. if it was set for 12s and now you feed it with 15s, it may not work because the unit has overvoltage protection as well as low cut off.

Try slight undercharge, and see what your high voltage cutoff is set for. Maybe you can just charge to 59v, and it will run. Then tweak your charger down enough to have it work.

It might mean your bms won't balance the pack though.

I'm going to assume you have 16s lifepo4, or 15s lipo. Looks like you need 15s or 14s battery. Perhaps it's possible to reset the HVC, but you'd have to reprogram the controller I'd think.

thank for the input.

yeah i think the controller limits it to maybe 60v (was 60.7), batteries charged to 40% in 15s config worked fine.

now there is maybe a problem with lvc with 12s- says 50% charge on lcd, cells are 90%.

but if the cutoff is ~42v, that is fine with 12s lipo, no? (3.5 volt/cell)

makes one think of the olden days, when controllers would just shut up and take the abuse :)

Try setting P5 to 0 or 40, and C12 as high as it will go which is 7 according to manual. If you can find the hardware LVC/HVC circuit in the controller you might could alter settings.

I ran a SLCD-3 and S12S controller with both 12S and 13S. Never did get the "battery gauge" or the LVC to work exactly right(I think 13S was better), but the Volts reading was OK.
The display is very sensitive to battery V values and really wants to see a 48V "plug and play"battery.

@ motomech

did the lvc kick in too early on 12s and stopped the motor?
the controller is 36 or 48v

realtime voltage mode; P5=0

"
P5 is power monitoring mode, when P5 setting is 0, the power monitoring is the
"real-time voltage" mode. Namely, it is the method to determine the battery capacity
based on real-time battery voltage. When P5 equals to a specified parameter, the power
monitoring is the "smart power" mode
(this parameter is determined by the battery
characteristics, ordinary 24V lithium is generally is 4-11, 36V lithium is between 5_15). P5
setting ranges from 0-40,

"

P5 won't do anything. It's a damping factor for the battery voltage display. There's no setting or maximum voltage. C12 adjusts the LVC.

The signal for over-voltage is probably coming from the controller's CPU, in which case you would need to add a resistor to the voltage divider.

ok, too bad, will just run 12s.
or change the controller later (options?)

50v should be okay even with a 20 inch wheel (think yescom style dd). looking for 20mph?

(p5 to 0, results in the battery indicator showing FULL.)

the default lvc is 40v, so that is 3.3volt/cell. nevermind wont be using it anyway.

Executive Summary - Faulty BMS was the cause, the sypmton was LCD3 indicated the Battary was empty

Since I accessed the LDC my bike no longer runs!
After setting the LCD3 controller with the relevant settings, the LCD Battery indicator still flashes empty, even when P5 is set to 0.
Could this indicate a problem with the Battery and or BMS.

Synptoms Include the LCD display indicates the Battery is operating at 52volt! The Bottle 09 battary test LEDS indicate the battery is fully charged. (All green)

Other related information
I’ve use the table and above posts to reset my LCD3 parameters (P), (C) the table above generally make sense, although i do have several observations

P1 The manual assumes you have technical information on your motor e.g. magnet count and gear teeth count, however: bmsbattaries did advise the setting for BPM2 500W CST = P1=80 which I’ve assumed to mean 16 magnets @ 5:1 = 80 so why would the LCD arrive with a value of 208! And would it make a difference if either value was used. (80 v 208)

C2 Motor Class for a Sine Wave controller is VALUE the DEFULT = 0

P5 for a Battery with 48v (52V) Li-ion, I assumed a range of 6-18 would be acceptable (best guess).

C5 to control the Max Current. To defaults to Max (10amp), surely it would be safer to default to a safe mode 03 (max current value divided by 2)

Any help with the Battery indication problem would be eternally grateful

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,282
d8veh said:
Stephen Jones said:
Since I accessed the LDC my bike no longer runs!

Does that mean that it was OK before you messed with it?

Yes !

Executive Summary - Faulty BMS was the cause, the sypmton was LCD3 indicated the Battary was empty

Prior to the failure, I’d been out for a run 10km @45-50km/h and decided, at the end of the run, to change some of the parameters P/C; to observe what would happen to the bikes performance;
I varied the wheels size, Max Speed etc.
Importantly i did this without reading the manual. Accessing the P/C parameters;
infect i suspect i reset the LCD3 to factory setting just before placing the bike on charge, and the next day the bike exhibited the fault described.
:oops:
More detail described in this post
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71438

motomech said:
Ck the Voltage at your battery output terminals.

Battery Type Bottle 09:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/680-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

The battery was fully charges before the test and all the leds on side of battery illuminated Green.

Test for Voltage with multimeter.
Removed the battery from the bike, which revealed the 2 female terninals, and using mutimeter

The Battery in the Off position = 12v
Battery in On postion = 52volts
Also check the 30amp fuse for continuity = OK

My assumption is the Battery is funtioning correctly, :)

the only thing i can think of , is using the "reset function".

Set C10 to Y.

"
C10 parameter setting interface
C10 is automatic restore default settings mode. The default is n, and the setting can be
n, or y, hold
button (UP) or
button (DOWN) shortly for selection.
C10 parameter definition table:
C10 value Restore default setting
n Function off
y Function on
When the meter is needed to restore default setting, C10 selects y, hold
button
long for about 2 seconds, all parameters restore default settings and exit setting
environment, and then return to the display1.
"

Thanks for the advise

Have been able to access the reset C10 = Y / N and establishing default setting.
I later modified the P/C values to suit my setup and requirements.
Have performed checks on cable connections for continuity, stripped the BMC down to see if there are damaged component or loose connections.

But didn’t find any problem/s.

Reluctantly I’ve order another set S-LCD3, BMS and cable etc
https://bmsbattery.com/controller/698-sine-wave-controller-for-09-case-controller.html

I intend to compare and validate the hardware, I suspect the BMC has died,
New parts will be delivery Monday morning.
:roll:
Will continue to post results and solution so others may benafit from my experiance

jesusjesus said:
hi

im running my 48v kit with 15s lipo.........

Are you aware there are 2 type of S-LCD3

72V - https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/737-72v-s-lcd3-lcd-meter-for-s-series-controlers-ebike-kit.html
24V, 36V, 48V - https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/670-s-lcd3-lcd-meter-for-s-series-controlers-ebike-kit.html

dnmun said:
15S is 63V DC. it is not 60.7V.

yes i know, the pack was prob. not at full charge then .-)

but the controller doesn’t like the high voltage(above 60?), thats the problem.

This is my first experience with a lcd software limiter on voltage, im used to just getting the "magic smoke" if something goes wrong :)

i think Motomech is right, this controller does not like lipo in some configurations.

LCD screen indicated Battery Empty - Was fixed :mrgreen: by replacing the BMS on the battery.
Assumed to be harware Problem / defective product.

Additionally the LCD-3 default setting work perfectly well 700 watt output 30mph from a BAFANG BPM2 500watts Motor 16 (10) which is a 400rpm motor at 48volt build into 28" rim, using a panasonic Li-ion Battery Bottle 09

P1=214;P2=1;P3=1;P4=1;P5 =12
C1=02;C2=0;C3=8;C4=0;C5=10;C6=3;C7=0;C8=0;C9=0;C10=N;C11=0;C12=4;C13=0;C14=2

Please note these value dont ensure the LCD screen correctly measure Speed Distance, Voltage etc

Thanks to all, keep up the good work.

Back