loaded vanguard flex 2 build with
* Single SK6374 168KV (APS 6355 HEV by now)
* DIY 10S4P dual-segment battery from LG HG2 cells
* VESC in FOC mode
* 2.4Ghz Mini Remote
* Enertion Motor Mount (APS mount by now)
* 15mm 16/36T gearing by DIYElectricSkateboard (changed to 15/36t with 190KV)
* DIY Carbon Vacuum Bagging Enclosures (very slim)
* inserted battery & motor wires
* cast ronin trucks with diy truck adapters
update 08/2016: switched caliber 2s for cast ronins with DIY truck adapters. never been happier with the vanguard, these ronins are insanely good <3
update 10/2016: added a 0.6mm bamboo veneer ontop with vicious griptape and 83mm trampa wheels
how it started:
in the middle of a major rework of my landyachtz topspeed, I pretty much accidently stumbled across an extremely cheap flex2 42" vanguard - offer was so good that I couldnt say no.
since my topspeed was supposed to become the flexy cruiser next to my tesseract, I wasnt sure what to do - keep on working on topspeed or just focus on the vanguard ... well, here we are. I must say, the vanguard felt quite different from the topspeed, even more flexy, but it also felt more lively. spent a few hours on the road, pushing and pumping without a motor.
didnt want to dig into this board, so the enclosure mold needed to bend a little around the slight concave. I also wanted to preserve flex, so I went for the double enclosure setup like everyone else. since I already had the LG HG2 cells for my topspeed, even spot welded for the most part, I had to hide away my typical 10S4P setup somehow.
it was pretty straightforward, didnt feel like trying fancy crazy designs:
the space for the vesc can support up to 2 vescs and even 2 new vesc5.0. initially Ill go single motor though, possibly using the 168kV 6374 that I planned to use for my tesseract, which is running quite flawless though after downgearing to 15/36T.
since the mold had to bend a little, I tried hard foam again instead of wood and prayed that it wouldnt deform under pressure like last time:
the enclosures look pretty large, but it will also be really slim compared to the other builds here - and the carbon will blend in better than the white/greenish foam. :p
setting up triple layer carbon + 2 layers gfk, curing 24hours et voila. happy I didnt have any serious deformation, just one edge is sliiightly bend, rest is pretty good.
after some rough cutting and sanding, I checked the inner cavity: guess the batteries fit as planned!
first time that I have a bent enclosure, gently following the curvature of the board. thanks brave foam, you kept up this time despite bending!!
finally aligning the 2 enclosures! the sanded surface looks pretty good!
want to cut the enclosures now following the curvature of the board with an offset. also Ill have to drill holes and I really need to take my time for that.
Im mostly taking old parts for this build right now, not sure if Ill order anything new. still thinking about how to connect the 2 enclosure and the motors. I actually bought flat copper wire, so I wouldnt have to dig deep. then again, after my excessive topspeed routing, I dont feel like digging at all.
to be continued ..