Lock is in the hospital, was in a coma

Thanks for getting that set up Ypedal. I'm posting it on the TERA (Toronto Electric Riders Association) site. Lock is our Director of Media Relations as well as the group Treasurer so I'm sure we should get a good response.

Doug

PS yea, the universal health care is pretty messed up here as well.

motorino magnet said:
can someone please give us a link we can click...please

Umm yeah I think you may need a paypal account to pay this way and click the pay anyone fill that email address in less the space unless there is another way account, etc.
Ive gotta help the poor old boy out or to help pay bills

I'm assuming if you don't know that there's no way to put a link up there to just click then you don't use PayPal, so maybe you can't send any money unless they come up with an alternate method. They can provide a link on eBay because you're being billed, I don't think that'll work in a case like this.

[youtube]vGCiYDWGZv4[/youtube]

lock is in the hospital and he needs some money for recovery....

please help us all send it to him,he is a good man.

TY

motorino guy, i just deleted about 12 of your drunken ramblings, pls be reasonable man....

if you absolutely canot figure out how to remove a single space in an email and work paypal.. use this page :
http://ypedal.com/Projects.htm

There is a YELLOW DONATE button on that page that will bring you to paypal and let you log in, put in an amount and donate to Ypedal, i will see to it that every penny makes it to Lock's daughter.

thx.

Well done Ypedal!

I guess there are a fair few folk around who may not be that familiar with gifting via Paypal, or may not have noticed the extra space in the email addy, so this will certainly make things a lot easier for them.

I hope we can collectively make things a bit easier for Lock and help him get back on his feet (or maybe help sort out his teeth) now that he's on the mend.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone, we really appreciate it :)

Dad is doing really well, he's getting back to his old self, just need to learn not get try and get out of bed on his own just yet!! He has a sitter watching him so he doesn't do just that....he thinks they have "too much time on their hands!"....doesn't fully getthat they're there to keep an eye on him! :)

Great Idea Ypedal!

Sent.

Thank you very much for all the contributions, i just transfered doctorbass, oatnet's and a VERY generous amount from mattycii 8) to Jhughes's paypal..

Thumbs up everyone , makes me feel good to know people who have never met or spoken in person can come together and help in tough times like these. , i hope lock is healing well and feeling better..

Cheers !
:p

+1
DONE

If you don't get better Lock
Or I'm gonna beat you up! :wink:
That ought to get him to get better quickly.
Seriously, hope all goes well and stay out of trouble.
God Speed

Hey Everyone. I haven't posted an update for a while and I just wanted to give one and to let you know why I've been laying off the updates recently. On me updating the group I have been feeling a bit intrusive in doing so, nothing anyone has said, but as he's doing so well I'm feeling a bit bad about it.

Anyway, lock is making steady and quite remarkable progress from an injury that keeps over 90% of its victims in a coma for the rest of their lives. He's using a wheelchair right now but can walk quite well with a therapist so it looks like when he heals a bit more his balance will return to where he can ride, walk or whatever he wants. He is certainly 'all there' as far as the old brain goes and he's just suffering from concentration problems and has issues finding the proper words to speak to match the thought behind it. Again that takes time.

Just prior to the accident he did a radio interview and was working with a few of us to do a presentation at city hall regarding ebike by-laws and access to infrastructure. He and I have had some discussions this week about how to contribute to some ongoing studies undertaken by city bureaucrats and how to rally the troops to bury the pricks with our side of the story :D He is hoping to be present and at the head of the table when we're back at city hall in march for deputations on the study and by-law revisions, the local cycling group and most of the bureaucrats won't like that.

Doug

Doug,

Rest assured that your updates on Lock's progress are really appreciated. It's great to hear that he's doing so well; I only wish that those of us thousands of miles away could have done more to help.

I really hope that we'll see Lock back here sometime soon, digging out the really interesting stuff that we'd rpobably never see without his efforts.

I really hope he makes it to that key meeting in March, and that the outcome is positive. Please pass on our continued best wishes for his complete recovery.

just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for thier well wishes, it's really amazing to see how much he is loved. For the first time, tomorrow he's been given the green light to come with me for the day, so we are going to my house to relax. Dad has a wireless connection at Bridgepoint (thanks to Fast Eddie, he has been, and is, a true godsent) so hopefully it wont be long until he posts someting! :D

Jhughes said:
just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for thier well wishes, it's really amazing to see how much he is loved. For the first time, tomorrow he's been given the green light to come with me for the day, so we are going to my house to relax. Dad has a wireless connection at Bridgepoint (thanks to Fast Eddie, he has been, and is, a true godsent) so hopefully it wont be long until he posts someting! :D

That's good news, it'd be great to see Lock back on ES. I hope he has a great day with you tomorrow, that's a big step getting out and about again.

Celebrating the good news! Please pass on that all of us are glad for his recovery. It would be great to see a word or two from him, even if you type it for now. We look forward to seeing more of him!
... from all of us on Endless Sphere

bigmoose said:
Celebrating the good news! Please pass on that all of us are glad for his recovery. It would be great to see a word or two from him, even if you type it for now. We look forward to seeing more of him!
... from all of us on Endless Sphere

Thanks Bigmoose! I did! His eyes certainly lit up when he heard your name. He said he isnt quite ready to post yet, and that it would require a lot of catch up reading. I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself. So we'll keep trying :pancake: :)

Mes chers amis sur ES

Here endeth the extent of my French language (sort of... hehe), and that darned English army beat any Scottish gaellic out of my family (ancestors) many generations ago...

So, in the Queens (or Kings) "english" (sorry you ES folks... hehe...)...

Yeah, I'm still alive... sort of...

Only escaped from that den of iniquity (aka "hospital") last February... Still learning how to walk again (Sadly, the hospital wheelchairs seemed to be completely lacking any battery-electric traction... hehe...), and a few weeks ago, I found out I have to relearn how to straddle a darned bicycle all over again! Such a sad ebiker... Whoa is me... Giddy up ebike! Hehe...

But yeah, I really do miss you guys (and grrrls)!

Thank you so much for the card! OK, and the money too? Maybe $500... Not sure... NEVer counted it? Sorry, but was the first money I EVer made selling(?) or promoting(?) ebikes!

Thankfully, ebikes seem to be "taking off" in the USA, or are about to? The ebike news from "far away" places (like around Europe, and in China) is nothing but great these days!

Locally, not so great?

In our sad, backward little "back country" (aka the Province of Ontario, pop. in 2012 maybe near 14 mill) the fighting (against ebikes) is pretty much "hand to hand"? "Door to door"?

Sadly, some of the local pedal-only bicycle crowd have been fighting the 20th-century automobile for so long, the ebike is just another "enemy"...

Extra sadly, many riding or selling the ebike here (in Canadian Federal law, and many Canadian provinces too, like Ontario, it is termed the "power-assisted bicycle"... In many countries in Europe it is termed the "electric pedal-assist cycle", or "EPAC") are calling it the "scooter" or "electric scooter"... No idea what the ebike is called in China. `Fraid my knowledge of Mandarin or Cantonese or all of those dialects is "zero", about the same as my knowledge of Scottish gaellic... Hehe...

Calling the ebike a "scooter" just plays into the hands of the ebike "haters"...

Yeah, so the "fight" right now FOR the ebike is right here in Ontario...

And the natives (Ontarians) are pretty "car addicted" eh?

Many cities across Ontario have friends and are families of the "auto worker"... Towns like Oakville and Windsor (rhymes with "eyesore" - sorry, any Windsor folks here! Hehe...) have large automobile manufacturing factories? Windsor (Ontario) is right across the river from Detroit (AKA "Motor City"?). Gasoline-powered cars and trucks and their sub-assemblies are shipped back and forth across the river before they reach their "final assembly"...

Here in Ontari-ari-ario (to use some old ad-speak), one car driver declared recently (online) that " "When you can't go out and get in your car and go where you want to go, it's like having your arm cut off."... (Was it her left arm, or her right? Can't recall... Hehe...)

Anyway... `Round about March, 2003, I cracked open a new "forum", titled the "Toronto Electric Vehicle Association"... Really, far as I was concerned, about electric *boats* really, but I just couldn't stop talking (messaging) about this darned electric bicycle I had stumbled across (to re-educate myself about electric motors and batteries, etc...)

Then, in May, 2007, I stumbled across this crazy place called "Endless Sphere"! Hehe...

Well, I see "4658 posts" here on ES, and guess I'm still counting...

Hey... ES changed my life, eh? (Sorry, a "Canadianism" slipped it there eh?) Well, hope any "hosers" here will be forgiving, at least... Hehe...

Then, somewhere about July, 2009, I sorta "jumped ship" eh? NOT from ES (where I got to sit at the feet of some ebike *Masters*), but from "TEVA" (the "Toronto Electric Vehicle" etc).

Some grrrl had independently started up "HER" forum, a "meetup" group, the "Toronto Electric Riders", currently here:
http://www.meetup.com...

While my little local group had sorta languished, and died, the "meetup" forum has *exploded*! As of June, 2010, we reached our first 100 aboard... In April, 2011, 200... July, 2011, 300... December, 2011, 400... Today (just this month) we hit 900 aboard! Still climbing! Still growing *fast*...

Our El Presidente, AKA "Number One", (TERA Prez, Doug), earlier this year got our little association registered as a Canadian federal "not for profit" corporation!

So while folks in Ontario are finally beginning to wake up to the electric bicycle and how it might transform our world (what's left of it, anyway), our politicians (so called) are busy pandering to the "squeaky wheels"... Here, in Ontario, there are a "hard core" of pedal cyclists that just do not "get" the "power-assisted bicycle" at all! In ebike terms, they are the "squeaky wheels"...

So, yeah, in Ontario at least, the "fight is on"! We (ebikers) are gonna win, but when and how is not clear yet.

Can't promise you folks here that I'll be alongside regularly, but please feel free to check in on "TERA" anytime! (No charge for ebiker forums access of course!)

We could use your help... Wish us luck!

Cheers all! Love you guys (and grrrls?)... I miss hanging with you folks!

Laughlin ("Lock") Hughes
Toronto Electric Riders Association

Welcome back! Glad you are doing better...

trivia: the Canadian term "hosers" come from before the invention of the Zamboni to smooth out the ice from a hockey game. The losers of a hockey game would have to hose down the ice after the game, so..."hoser" means the losers.

Back