DP-420 METAL EPOXY REVIEW by Doctorbass

Doctorbass

100 GW
great show, at one point i was thinking that you were goin to do the whole show with one arm, then you put the camera down, lol..
amazing stuff that epoxy

That's awesome DOC. If nothing else it validates your torque arm mounting method. And entertaining :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks!

Nice... but your solvent cleaning leaves a little to be desired. First, always clean the material BEFORE and after grinding/sanding. You don't want to be grinding surface scuzz/grease into the microscopic abrasions of the grinding wheel.

Also, the way you are wiping the surface is just spreading around whatever is there and removing very little. After maybe a couple of circular wipes to loosen the surface grunge, you want to wipe in one stroke across the surface. Repeat the cleaning strokes in several directions. NEVER repeat a stroke with the same piece of cloth/solvent... that just re-deposits whatever you had already removed.

Doc,

How long did you let it cure in the hair dryer oven?

Ambrose

I asked this seller and he placed some on sale 22 units

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220848119881?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570.l2736%26_nkw%3D220848119881%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The item number is 220848119881.

Here's the seller I bought mine from with his offering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330379130260#ht_500wt_922

$17 shipped CONUS.

Ambrose

Just to highlight the differences.

This one is off-white and is 1.7 oz. $17 shipped CONUS (continental USA)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330379130260#ht_500wt_922

This one is black and is 1.25 oz. $23.23 shipped CONUS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220848119881

Ambrose

ambroseliao said:
Doc,

How long did you let it cure in the hair dryer oven?

Ambrose

Curing time was around 1.5 hour at 80 celsius average.. usually at work in the specialized oven i do 30 minutes at 100 celsius

Than leave it stabilize to abmiant for like 30 minutes

Doc

Nice demo Doc. You sold me on the stuff. I'm going to make a bike using it to sell to the general public. I'll glue the headset on with at least 9 square inches of overlap on each side, which doesn't even include a number of sq in of epoxied overlap around the headtube itself. I sure hope you're right for your sake...You might want to boost that general liability coverage just in case. LOL!

Don't worry Doc, I would never do something like that to you. I am in the middle of a Konion project that will definitely make use of that epoxy though.

texaspyro said:
Nice... but your solvent cleaning leaves a little to be desired. First, always clean the material BEFORE and after grinding/sanding. You don't want to be grinding surface scuzz/grease into the microscopic abrasions of the grinding wheel.

Also, the way you are wiping the surface is just spreading around whatever is there and removing very little. After maybe a couple of circular wipes to loosen the surface grunge, you want to wipe in one stroke across the surface. Repeat the cleaning strokes in several directions. NEVER repeat a stroke with the same piece of cloth/solvent... that just re-deposits whatever you had already removed.

Texaspyro,

The steel brace was already cleaned before to grind them... i just not shown this part in the video.

The goal of this video is to show people a real world demonstration of what the average people can do without falling into a lot complicated technical method.

At work I have the specialized equipment to clean, like Isopropanol, methanol, acetone etc and many special wipe… at work I have to work with aerospace optics and I know how to bond lens, laser diodes, lend barrel etc as well as using specialized UV curing adhesive as well.

In our case, I tried to use and do the method that average people will do to show the result a NOT expert in bonding person will achieve. And to include some not perfect method.

In the situation I had, the idea to stroke the wipe is not a good idea.. The porous state of the grinded steel would have grip too much to the wipe and leave some wipe traces over the grinded area.

again.. with too technical and less usual methods, people would tend to think it's too complicated..

The results i obtained are result everybody can get.. that's the goal of this video... show people that with basic method they can get this result...

After all the T-A bonded with that method can hold more than twice the absolute max torque any bicycle hub motor can do :mrgreen:

Doc

i use the scotchweld for wood at my day job.its great stuff! they also sell a gun with disposable mixing nozzles for those tubes,squeeze the trigger and mixed epoxy comes out. it saves a lot of time and mess.l love the video :D

One more silly question, Doc. What is that plunger you used on the DP-420 tube. It sure looked like you were applying a lot of force to squeeze the epoxy out. Is that a home made plunger?

Thanks,
Ambrose

ambroseliao said:
One more silly question, Doc. What is that plunger you used on the DP-420 tube. It sure looked like you were applying a lot of force to squeeze the epoxy out. Is that a home made plunger?

Thanks,
Ambrose

This is a plunger from 3M it is made to work with the gun.. but i did not bought anu gun from now.. it's like 40$ and i can do the job with my hands so..

Doc

Bets that Doctor Bass weighs 145 ? Well done video once again can't wait for P2.. Id really like to see what it takes to break that bond.

Entertaing vid Doc.

Here are a couple sheets on the product I ran into. I was curious of the difference betweeen the DP460 and the 420.

Heat_Accel_Cure

dpseries

Where do you buy it in Canada Doc? I thought it was available at Acklands, but I can't see it online.

regmeister said:
Entertaing vid Doc.

Here are a couple sheets on the product I ran into. I was curious of the difference betweeen the DP460 and the 420.

Heat_Accel_Cure

dpseries

Where do you buy it in Canada Doc? I thought it was available at Acklands, but I can't see it online.

I get it from two places: the first is from Lemieux Equipment.. a local store at Quebec city that sale industrial tool and protective material.. they sale the same price as Mcmaster carr !! :wink:

And the first time i went to that store the boss of that place reconized me ( about my 2009 speed record TV spot) and gaved me 2 samples of the 420 :D

The second place is thru my work by ordering to Mcmaster carr.. because i can not order directly and i must pass thru my work to place personnal orders.

Doc

regmeister said:
Entertaing vid Doc.

Heat_Accel_Cure

dpseries

Thanks for showing that link!.. I use the same link at work to get estimate of curing time when i dont have the data and must search over the web.

Doc

ohzee said:
Bets that Doctor Bass weighs 145 ? Well done video once again can't wait for P2.. Id really like to see what it takes to break that bond.

Oh yeah!.. I promiss.. that will be tonight! i'm finishing the clip right now

and .. not.. it's not me for the 145.. (i weight a little more than 145) it's added SLA battery!! .. Thay's the only use i found for them, :wink:

Doc

I would like to see some shock loading Doc, a gimpy (Lump Hammer) whacked hard around the 3in mark
should dislodge it... give it a try after you have finished hanging weights off it...

KiM

Very good doc

AussieJester said:
I would like to see some shock loading Doc, a gimpy (Lump Hammer) whacked hard around the 3in mark
should dislodge it... give it a try after you have finished hanging weights off it...

KiM

Great idea!.. but that does not really relate the same rate a hub motor acceleration is...

hub motor that accelerate as fast impulse as a mecanical shock like a hammer do would be awsome!!

3M make many different epoxy for a wide range of applications.. and some epoxy are made to resist shock ( they are often softer) and some are made for high strengh and stability and they are harder epoxy. The DP420 is a trade off

BUt that vibration test on the 420 would be a great test to do as well!

Doc

Back