10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

Haha... Cool video... The last few words spoken are rather appropriate "Ubuntu, I'm going to learn Ubuntu"

I think we all are....

Figured it out! Vedder does not use version control for BLDC-Tool, but if you look at the commit history, go to the commit on Feb 19, 2015 and click the button that says "browse the repository at this point in history". Then click download zip, unzip it, open up terminal, cd to the folder, qmake, make, then open up BLDC-Tool. This is the version of the tool from Feb 19 - April 11, so it is likely the right one. It seems to work for me (i.e. connect and read/write config work).

777arc said:
Figured it out! Vedder does not use version control for BLDC-Tool, but if you look at the commit history, go to the commit on Feb 19, 2015 and click the button that says "browse the repository at this point in history". Then click download zip, unzip it, open up terminal, cd to the folder, qmake, make, then open up BLDC-Tool. This is the version of the tool from Feb 19 - April 11, so it is likely the right one. It seems to work for me (i.e. connect and read/write config work).

Nice work 777arc!

I'm waiting for my VESC and will follow this process if it doesn't work w/ the latest BLDC Tool.

Thx!!

777arc said:

Nice job 777arc!! Your workaround worked for me too! :D

When I hit the sensorless parameter detection button with default parameters, the motor does not move, but I'm afraid to mess with the detection parameters because I don't really know which direction I should change them and how much. I have a 149kv motor at 6S. 6A should definitely be enough current for the motor to spin up, but I have no idea about what "Min ERPM" should be (default is 600).

777arc said:
When I hit the sensorless parameter detection button with default parameters, the motor does not move, but I'm afraid to mess with the detection parameters because I don't really know which direction I should change them and how much. I have a 149kv motor at 6S. 6A should definitely be enough current for the motor to spin up, but I have no idea about what "Min ERPM" should be (default is 600).
Did you make sure to disable all control (such as PPM control), and 'reboot' the VESC? Otherwise the detection doesn't work.

erwincoumans said:
777arc said:
Did you make sure to disable all control (such as PPM control), and 'reboot' the VESC? Otherwise the detection doesn't work.

Oh I forgot to hit write config. Works now, thanks!

Sorry for not replying for a while, I have been quite busy.

I think this is the firmware and the corresponding BLDC tool for the shipped VESCs by onloop:
http://home.vedder.se/public/VESC_Beta_Jacob/

The firmware upload in the latest BLDC tool requires recent firmware and a bootloader, so in order to use it you need to use an SWD cable to update the firmware and upload the bootloader. I tried to finish the bootloader for the VESCs that I'm going to ship next week, so they will only require BLDC Tool for updating the firmware. I will also include pre-compiled versions of the latest firmware with BLDC Tool so that only updating bldc tool is required to get the latest firmware.

Onloop, regarding gearing and kv: you are right. If you cannot get more gear ratio, you should have lower kv on the motors. However, 245kv for a dual motor setup with that gearing should work ok. In the video it looks like you should increase the startup boost parameter a bit to get more power when starting.

Regarding the servo input port: I don't have any longboard where I'm using the servo input, so I haven't spent much time on optimizing it for longboards. The nunchuk implementation works much better and gives a better user experience. I would rather spend time on a custom remote with several buttons than on optimizing the ppm input, since ppm is a stupid way of communication servos between microcontrollers and does not enable to utilize extra buttons. PPM comes from a long time ago when servos were analog.

To everyone with the beta VESCs: Do NOT use them without configuring them for your motor. If the parameters are way off, the ESC can break under certain conditions if you are unlucky.

Just reporting in to give an update on the Enertion Beta VESC. I used the older bldc-tool that 777arc suggested and configured my SK3 6374 192 kv motor parameters. Took a solid couple hours to get Ubuntu loaded up through Virtual Box, then followed all the instructions on Vedder's site.

I've been riding it for the past two days without any issues. Runs great and I really like the braking feel. The kids in my neighborhood think its awesome, parents too! Today it's rainy here so probably won't ride. So far so good! :D

Vedder (or anyone else) - Looking at your Version 4.6 schematic diagrams I'm a little lost on the wiring sequence for the nunchuck, LED and program/debug connectors. These all have 6-pin micro jst connectors, with pins 1 though 6. How do you know if the pin is Pin 1 or Pin 6? Do I need to orientate the PCB a certain way. I'm new to all this and don't have electrical background, sorry for the dumb question.

thanks!

EDIT: Easier than I thought. I just tested the pins with a volt meter to find out which ones had the supply voltage. Check the schematic for the other pins but here's where the voltages were on mine at least.

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,430
Hi Vedder, technically speaking/ operationally speaking... what happens when Dual VESC are powered on and operating but the canbus loses connection to the slave VESC momentarily due to vibrations etc?.... I know what happens physically, one motor stops responding.. So simply power cycling the system and both VESC are operating both motors again..

So my question is, if the canbus interface briefly loses connection does it forget there was another VESC connected?

If possible could you modify the software so it is constantly checking for slave VESC connection via canbus, then it can automatically re-detect the slave if connection is lost...... the tiny little JST plug seems a bit temperamental at times.

I might solder the wires on permanently.

Guy on github has added a commit to the BLDC tool on github to support the serial port on OS X Vedder isn't a big fan of apple but this guy has got it working!
I downloaded his zip and I already hat QT 5 and Xcode installed so there wasn't much more to do then install homebrew and the load the project and build it bang it all worked!

In terminal I did a search
Code:
ls /dev/tty.*
to find the usb device name it falls under a usb bluetooth device but you will see it like this
Code:
screen /dev/tty.[yourSerialPortName]
copy and past it into BLDC tool in the port section and click connect!

image.jpg

I will be posting a link with file and the built app soon once I confirm I can just transfer it to another mac with you doing any thing.

I'll also post 2 versions 1 for the new firmware with boot loaded when it's finished and an older feb built for mine and onloop's customers but we regiment updating your firmware and bootloader as soon as you can!

Awesome for us Mac users!!!!!

Thanks Jacob

What cable are people using to config the VESC?

onloop said:
Hi Vedder, technically speaking/ operationally speaking... what happens when Dual VESC are powered on and operating but the canbus loses connection to the slave VESC momentarily due to vibrations etc?.... I know what happens physically, one motor stops responding.. So simply power cycling the system and both VESC are operating both motors again..

So my question is, if the canbus interface briefly loses connection does it forget there was another VESC connected?

If possible could you modify the software so it is constantly checking for slave VESC connection via canbus, then it can automatically re-detect the slave if connection is lost...... the tiny little JST plug seems a bit temperamental at times.

I might solder the wires on permanently.

If you unplug can and plug the CAN-BUS in again, the communication should continue as before. The freeze can happen if both ESCs have the same ID in the app tab, so make sure that they are different. The latest firmware has some fixes for the can communication, so it probably works better if you update it.

Another update. Today I flashed the new firmware Version 1.1 to the Enertion VESC. I used a STM32F0-Discovery board and got it to work after trying a few times. Seems I had to to unplug everything and let the VESC and discovery board 'reset'. It's working! :D

Also got my nunchuk to work so will try that out for the first time tomorrow.

kwoolf1 said:
Another update. Today I flashed the new firmware Version 1.1 to the Enertion VESC. I used a STM32F0-Discovery board and got it to work after trying a few times. Seems I had to to unplug everything and let the VESC and discovery board 'reset'. It's working! :D

Also got my nunchuk to work so will try that out for the first time tomorrow.

Hey kwoolf.

Can you please create a step by step tutorial on getting nunchuck to work. Including photos. How to connect the receiver etc.

hey!

just back from holidays, that was refreshing! I got my two VESCs from onloop on my mailbox. Great as it took a while for the post office to reach me :)

my actual setup is :
- dual diagonal two
- Twin 150Amp 2-12S Opto ESC (replaced by two VESCs)
- 2 x 63mm Alien motors, 170KV, 3200watt, 80Amp

I just went quickly through the thread and I read the warning to configure the VESCs for the motors.

So I am about to install ubuntu and bdlc tool.

I am still at the hotel in Morocco on my way back home, but just wondering (I am OK to install ubuntu)
- how I connect the two VESCs together
- how I configure/connect VESC to my computer
- does anyone have my motor settings to put in VESC or do I need to get them from my actual APS ESC configuration (or put the same?)
- is there a wiki or a how to updated regularly, just to ensure all the latest information is available (installation) as the time goes by

thanks a lot!

can't wait to get back on my eboard, hopefully for a full review and ride test of the VESC this saturday.

okp said:
hey!

just back from holidays, that was refreshing! I got my two VESCs from onloop on my mailbox. Great as it took a while for the post office to reach me :)

my actual setup is :
- dual diagonal two
- Twin 150Amp 2-12S Opto ESC (replaced by two VESCs)
- 2 x 63mm Alien motors, 170KV, 3200watt, 80Amp

I just went quickly through the thread and I read the warning to configure the VESCs for the motors.

So I am about to install ubuntu and bdlc tool.

I am still at the hotel in Morocco on my way back home, but just wondering (I am OK to install ubuntu)
- how I connect the two VESCs together
- how I configure/connect VESC to my computer
- does anyone have my motor settings to put in VESC or do I need to get them from my actual APS ESC configuration (or put the same?)
- is there a wiki or a how to updated regularly, just to ensure all the latest information is available (installation) as the time goes by

thanks a lot!

can't wait to get back on my eboard, hopefully for a full review and ride test of the VESC this saturday.

All of this is described in my tutorial (which I update on a regular basis):
http://vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/

hey benjamin, thanks.

back home. I am now installing Ubuntu with Parallels Desktop on my Macbook Air. Hopefully it will be fine :)

1432059387-capture-d-ecran-2015-05-19-a-20-16-07.png

I have two VESC from onloop beta, just need to get BDLC tool installed by plugging the USB to my laptop and put the motor settings... or do I need to install a new firmware ? How do I connect both ESC .. with Y servo cable ? no specific cable has been supplied (this maybe normal)

I am installing all the packages according to your tutorial.

By the way, I am now at the firmware section but it seems to require a stlinkv2 which I don't have. I will directly go to BDLC.

update, I have now the BLDC tool installed, but I cannot get my VESC to be detected, not sure how I get the good /dev tty, I used the dmesg command, but can't find it. The tutorial says that I need to know which version I have before compiling BDLC... which I don't know has the PCB is hidden under white plastic.

1432062916-capture-d-ecran-2015-05-19-a-21-14-59.png

it says device 3 ... but I use ttyACMx with x = 3... nothing happens

I also have a ugly 800x600 resolution which make the BLDC tool unusable . Damn it !

Hey OKP - I had the same issue but fixed it.

The problem I think is that Parallels is messing with the serial hardware flow control. You need to disable it.

Fire up Ubuntu, open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G dialout yourusername
(change yourusername to your Ubuntu username)

Now log out of Ubuntu, and back in again. Fire up terminal again and type:

Code:
stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 -crtscts ixon ixoff
(don't change ttyACM0 here, and leave it as ttyACM0 in BLDC Tool as well)

Now load up BLDC Tool and hit connect. You should be set :)

Finally have my scooter ride able and just tested the vesc. Could not be more happier how it performs! Like people have been saying there is some cogging after a dead stop at very low speeds over bumps or going up an incline but I don't think it could get any better for a sensorless motor/esc. On flat ground I just go without any cogging from a dead stop which is just amazing to me.

Back