12 kw rc motor

Arlo1 said:
Any word on this yet I want to get my name on at least one of these!
Edit: Am I understanding correctly we can do WYE DELTA with these?

It's not been tried yet, but it should be possible. But... with this much power on tap, might at well just leave it in delta, it's not like it won't be able to flip any bicycle right over on it's back even in delta. :)

salty9 said:
A aftermarket auto trans cooler should work for cooling. They come in quite a few sizes. The last one I bought was reasonable.

Yep, a $20 tranny cooler with a couple $5 PC fans on it, a bit of hose, and a small $20 automotive electric fuel pump will be all it takes to setup cooling on this monster.

liveforphysics said:
Arlo1 said:
Any word on this yet I want to get my name on at least one of these!
Edit: Am I understanding correctly we can do WYE DELTA with these?

It's not been tried yet, but it should be possible. But... with this much power on tap, might at well just leave it in delta, it's not like it won't be able to flip any bicycle right over on it's back even in delta. :)

salty9 said:
A aftermarket auto trans cooler should work for cooling. They come in quite a few sizes. The last one I bought was reasonable.

Yep, a $20 tranny cooler with a couple $5 PC fans on it, a bit of hose, and a small $20 automotive electric fuel pump will be all it takes to setup cooling on this monster.
Ok so I'm building a mini motor cycle with this I want stupid power wheelies all the time!

And #2 I work at a bike wrecker when I am not working for my self and we have a whole meess or rads from bikes big and small if anyone needs on PM me with some sizes and I will take pictures of anything that may help you out.

Wow, I've had my head buried in the BMS sand for too long, and I missed this thread completely. I just finished reading all 14 pages. This is awesome! Put me down for two, for sure. :) Not sure what to put them in yet, maybe a beefed up trike like Matt and/or methy has, or a motorcycle. Time to start stocking up on Turnigy/Zippy packs, though. :mrgreen:

-- Gary

So exciting! The performance of this motor, and the fact that someone is actually making these for ebikers/EVers is a great sign! It is pretty close to a tailored solution for EVs, and the fact that this is something like a mass order for these motors should encourage other manufacturers to start catering to the ebike and EV community. It's a sign of things to come, and that ebiking, or serious crazy ebikes is not going to remain a small, highly exclusive club. No, it seems like things will only go up from here. How long before we see good, tailored battery solutions for ebikes and small EVs? This reminds me of the mountain bike movement in Marin, where a bunch of guys got together and started modifying bikes with balloon tires and stronger frames, and eventually suspension, because they wanted to bike offroad. The big bicycle manufacturers like Schwinn at the time were flummoxed. They said things like, "well of course the frame broke, you were riding it down a stony dirt track at 40kph!" Eventually, though, they got the message... but not before the grass roots mtn bike culture generated a number of companies to service this hobby. People who built mountain bikes because they liked mountain biking, and were sick of stuff breaking. Who knows, perhaps the next names in ebiking will be members of these forums 8)

I just got through the thread and...

I want at least 1! :shock:

Thanks for this astounding effort guys!

Any new news on it lately?

Thanks,
Jay

Has there been any refined ideas on price for these bad boys? Whatever, put me down for one too! I really wish this motor had been around when I was starting my current project. I have about a dozen concepts that this could work with so might as well. How about pairing it with an underwater scooter? Better hold on :twisted:

The 5 test motors are finished and the guys in factory like to test it, then they will ship it over here. We paid ultra fast shipping.
I would like 299$ but it seams for now we will not be able to do it. I say max is around 330$. But we will see when they arrive.

HAL9000v2.0 said:
The 5 test motors are finished and the guys in factory like to test it, then they will ship it over here. We paid ultra fast shipping.
I would like 299$ but it seams for now we will not be able to do it. I say max is around 330$. But we will see when they arrive.

$330 is just fine with me. :)

These motors are fitted with hall sensors now???

Hal i would like to grab one of these when available please mate
will you set one aside for me? I can make a deposit now with remainder of funds in 2 weeks. Let me know if this is acceptable mate...As you prolly aware i have finished my cruiser and will be moving onto a new build in few 3-4 weeks i would like to use the 12kw motor if possible.

Thankyou...

KiM

OH man Oh man oh man ok I need at leaste 3 but if I under stand corect the more we order the better right? I will need more than just one for sure! I might run 2 on the ysr (I need power wheelies at 100 km/h) and one for kart or extra to sell. So yeh figure out a price and let me know where shiping is from and to I can maybe even have them shiped to lukes and pay for them then drive down to get them! Im so excited :mrgreen:

Arlo1 said:
OH man Oh man oh man ok I need at leaste 3 but if I under stand corect the more we order the better right? I will need more than just one for sure! I might run 2 on the ysr (I need power wheelies at 100 km/h) and one for kart or extra to sell. So yeh figure out a price and let me know where shiping is from and to I can maybe even have them shiped to lukes and pay for them then drive down to get them! Im so excited :mrgreen:

That sounds like a good way to avoid the Canadian Nazi import duties, and I bet we will have a blast when you come down to pick them up. :)

Yes, $330 each sounds very reasonable, especially with the halls. That's way cheaper than a 3220, and at least twice as powerful. :eek:

I definitely want at least two, but maybe three. I'm thinking of doing a KMX, like methy's and Matt's, and then also a motorcycle, of some sort. I might try and do a Townie on 'roids first, though. :lol:

I forget, what controller would be a good fit with these, that wouldn't have to be modded? One of the Kelly's? Are there any other options for a 100V controller? What are you going to use, Luke? Wait, I should probably ask somebody else as I'm sure Luke is going to weld a bunch of these together and run 1000A+ through them. :roll: :mrgreen:

Anyway, you guys are doing seriously good work here. :)

-- Gary

liveforphysics said:
That sounds like a good way to avoid the Canadian Nazi import duties, and I bet we will have a blast when you come down to pick them up. :)
The import duties are not bad (just 12 percent tax) if you ship them corectly! UPS on the other hand charges you to have a guy go through the the border. I ordered a chrome oil pan and dip stick for 28 bucks and paid 20 shiping prepaid and UPS charged me 58 extra at the door!
Yes we will have a blast just got to figure out which car to bring lol not that they will compare to the stuf you have for speed either way I will bring my bmx. And speeking of speed look what I was practicing in 2 nights ago using my LM-2 trying to sort out jetting.

Attachments

• E bmx 014 (Small).jpg
    E bmx 014 (Small).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,884
If you want to use sensorless esc this is the option we UPGRADED.. I will have it soon to test motor
The dimension of controller is 110mm x 51mm x 20mm, Weight :236g it has usb linker , 240a continious and can run at 60v

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

what do you think about it ?... ...anyway it has wattercooling so it can be connected to cooling with motor :)

markobetti said:
what do you think about it ?... ...anyway it has wattercooling so it can be connected to cooling with motor :)

Looking good...buuuuttt: what's the maximum voltage for this esc? I'll run the motor (in WYE configuration) with a 72V LiFePO4 pack. Can the controller handle this? A Kelly controller is a bit expensive and I don't need all those fancy programmable things...any other options?

A small question: when you receive the samples, could you please check whether the motor is terminated in DELTA or WYE configuration? Maybe you can check already on the sample you've already got in your hands:) Can't wait to get this motor..it's the perfect powerhouse for my direct drive paramotor!!

max voltage for esc is 60v .. so you cant run 72v.... Yea, thats not good ...:(.... but i am working with one company on 72v .... and that is also not good because 72v of lifepo4 is actually 84v...

:D So its all looking good with this motor... :mrgreen: If you need numbers for bulk buy I will be up for 1 defo ( maybe 2 ). Outstanding effort from you guys, Thanks.

markobetti said:
max voltage for esc is 60v .. so you cant run 72v.... Yea, thats not good ...:(.... but i am working with one company on 72v .... and that is also not good because 72v of lifepo4 is actually 84v...

If the max. voltage for the esc is 60V you can only use a 48V LiPo pack iirc. What's the limiting factor? Caps or the FETs? I'm an electronic engineer...maybe I can help out somehow. Anyways, the plan for me is to use a 24s LiFePO4 pack.

Ok so I am starting on a motorcycle at the moment... the original bike was 140kg and I would like to keep the final electrical weight below 150kg.
This is a road going bike and needs to keep up with or better traffic up to 80km/h and top out at 90 - 100 km/h (this is all ideally).

So I was thinking of a Mars 72volt motor 8-15KW, 14 kg and enough LiFePO4 cells to drive it.

However one of these at 60 volts would spin about as fast at the Mars definitely be lighter and but less power, 12KW compared to 15KW.

This means:

[pre]___________________________________________________________
Colossus Mars
Motor Kg 5.5Kg 14Kg
Total Kg 30.5Kg 45Kg

So based on this calculation alone I think I should be buying one of these motors, Maybe 2! even then with the more complex initial drive setup I would be under the weight of the Mars setup.

Can anyone point out a flaw in my logic/calculations?

Should I be ordering one?

In my opinion, sensorless performance is always going to be inferior to sensored, in an EV application, regardless of the voltage. What I want is to use one of these like I would with big hub motors, and run a minimum of 24s LiPo. That means I need a 100V controller that can handle at least 150A.

-- Gary

Gary,

wouldn't that just overvolt the motor? over 80Volts out of your batteries. I understand the controller can be set to limit the average volts applied to the motor for any given time.

I am very new to this.. haven't done a conversion yet.

Back