120% speed advanced timing on the controller programming

I've just read through this thread and have come to no conclusion.

What does setting the speed higher do? Jeremy said it's not the timing.

Does it cost efficiency at lower speeds?

I put it at %120 with my 18 fet lyen controller and saw a 2-3 mph gain from 29 mph to 33 mph. Also I managed to go 38 mph downhill. It is odd because I usually only manage to get to 32 mph going downhill with the speed set at %100. That is a 3 mph difference in downhill speed.....Perhaps that is telling of something...

It doesnt engage until the motor has spun up to its normal full speed. You hear the tone of the motor change and it accelerates another 3-5mph. (unloaded). You get a higher top speed at an efficiency loss and loss of torque.

Mmmm, I’m not seeing loss of torque.

I have had mine set to 115% since I did my 83-mile ride (when also had my phase and battery current set quite a bit higher). Definitely my range dropped but that was due to the excessive current settings; I scaled that part way back to get my range and then did my 101-miler with overclock enabled. The loss of torque (when noticed previously) occurred when I would climb steep grades and the forward-phasing reverted back to normal (as if I flipped a switch and disabled the feature). As soon as the grade leveled out it was back up and flying.

My early research didn’t see any difference between 110%, 115%, or 120%; I just left it in the middle after the last flash. I no longer notice when it does its’ switch; it has been pretty smooth – when not enjoyable fast and furious :twisted: :wink:

My $0.02

Here are some graphic results with 100% and 120% speed setting

I started first with 100% and get a top speed of 61kph. It draws 30-32Amps

Thenaround 5 minutes i switched over to 120%

My speed went up to 66kph so that's like 10% more speed. if you look at the amps it just gets higher to 36Amp

So if you use these 120% setting it's just like if the controller highers the output current limit with 20% ?
120speed.png

Mr Kang,

Your seeing an additional 4 amp draw accompanied by a 10% increase in speed with 120%? The test for the hypothesis is simple enough, bump your current 4 amps and then test at 100% again... clearly the ET is running fine for you and I think you will be surprised by the result.

There is more going on at 120% than a bump of 4A in draw... the phase voltage rises which I always assumed also meant the phase current would have to decrease - but it rises more than can be balanced by equation 4A / 2 = 2A increase in current per phase @ 1:1 gain unity... the full math is too boring and complicated to post, Im sure you can figure it out...

So give it a shot, bump your current by 4A and check your top speed...

Am I wrong or did you perform maximum speed tuning first?

Normally... I bump the current (primary) until I acheive maximum speed on the flats at a given voltage under load... at 100% then I add the 120% factor in and see on average a bit more than 10% gain on top end with 3-5A additional current passing (as opposed to 100%)... Finally I may bump the current a bit more and dial down Speed %2 for an economy mode of sorts. This normally results in maximum speed and strangely enough maximum efficiency at a given voltage.

I hope this all makes sense, I've been working on a project all night so I am a bit out of energy.

-Mike

Hi Mwkeefer

so i have to bum up my phase and rated current with 5 more amps?

my latest settings were: 80A phase and 45A rated

i also think that this test was done with my old China Lipo's which had 15C only... my turnigy pack will behave better.
I will do a test after lunch. first with the same settings but then with my turnigy pack.The speeds will differ cause of more cells..
But then we can actually measure the 120% seed progress.

ps try not to use all your energy on mathmetics! :roll:

MrKang said:
Hey MrKang, no reply for a while now, are you ok? I hope you didn't do what I think you did. :shock:

Seriously now, anyone care to predict what will happen when Burties timing tool is mixed with > 100% setting?
I can't see why there wouldn't be a compound increase in max rpm.
Twin overdrive, oh yeah! It just keeps on getting better.

I just read all the post but still don't know how to use the sofware with my 18 fet lyen , the only thing i see is speed mode design with fews ajustment but how to set it :D :D :D thanks

oldhaq said:
MrKang said:
Hey MrKang, no reply for a while now, are you ok? I hope you didn't do what I think you did. :shock:

Seriously now, anyone care to predict what will happen when Burties timing tool is mixed with > 100% setting?
I can't see why there wouldn't be a compound increase in max rpm.
Twin overdrive, oh yeah! It just keeps on getting better.

Hehehe...i just read my misspelled words... heheheh :mrgreen: ...i will have a new test with my newly setup.

my last speed measures were 78km/h ..but didn't log it with the CA. I will do a new test ride with logging.
Now i have 24S5P all turnigy's...last setup was measured with old ebay lipo's which had a lot of sag in voltage when accelerating.

Back