33cc Gas/Electric hybrid bicycle project

Its a shame that the laws have you contemplating such a complicated arrangement, but it can be done.

250W would be fine on the front wheel. If you're going to burst @1000W then rear might be better. If you're sticking to 250W you could even think about powering your trailer wheel. 250W geared correctly would probably match normal pedaling acceleration and actually be more than normal pedal power at speed. It should be enough to match the acceleration of a slow rider, anyway.

The trailer is a good idea. I've often thought a bob wheel would be a good place for batteries and a motor. If its a bob trailer, make sure the top of the pivot axis leans toward the bike so that it will lean with the bike in corners. O-O\-O

With all the room on the trailer it should be possible to make your ICE motor whisper quiet. A fan cooled moped motor would be an option. SLA would work fine as the weight is not an awkward load on your regular bike and you would be using them as a electrical buffer allowing them to be kept mostly at a happy fully charged voltage. I'd think about utilizing a brake on your trailer wheel that would be slightly stronger than your rear brake, but actuated in parallel with it (trailer should skid first).

You have interesting options to have a motor installed on your bike, or not, if the trailer wheel is powered, or have the motor on your bike and the option to grab the battery off the trailer if you want to detach it.

el_walto said:
Isn't that frame bent? And the forks bent? I think your bike idea is crazy, but I can't wait to see the completed product.

No, its supposed to be this way. Its from the 50's i believe, it even has drum brakes! :lol: It's gonna take some months before i get the project done. Probably by the end of this summer as i am also restoring an old motorcycle which is the priority at the moment.

gogo said:
Its a shame that the laws have you contemplating such a complicated arrangement, but it can be done.

250W would be fine on the front wheel. If you're going to burst @1000W then rear might be better. If you're sticking to 250W you could even think about powering your trailer wheel. 250W geared correctly would probably match normal pedaling acceleration and actually be more than normal pedal power at speed. It should be enough to match the acceleration of a slow rider, anyway.

The trailer is a good idea. I've often thought a bob wheel would be a good place for batteries and a motor. If its a bob trailer, make sure the top of the pivot axis leans toward the bike so that it will lean with the bike in corners. O-O\-O

With all the room on the trailer it should be possible to make your ICE motor whisper quiet. A fan cooled moped motor would be an option. SLA would work fine as the weight is not an awkward load on your regular bike and you would be using them as a electrical buffer allowing them to be kept mostly at a happy fully charged voltage. I'd think about utilizing a brake on your trailer wheel that would be slightly stronger than your rear brake, but actuated in parallel with it (trailer should skid first).

You have interesting options to have a motor installed on your bike, or not, if the trailer wheel is powered, or have the motor on your bike and the option to grab the battery off the trailer if you want to detach it.

The sachs 33cc motor i have is already fan cooled, and very small! About the height of two coke cans without the original gas tank on top of it. Plan is to get a metal box that is large enough to cover the engine, dynamo and perhaps the batteries too. I will drill some holes in the front and in the back and add a small electric or mechanical fan to blow air trough it like a in a duct. The inside of the box will be covered in sound isolating material to suck up the sound waves. I will also make threads onto the exhaust port of the sachs engine and screw on some old piping forwarding the exhaust trough a homemade muffler that is filled with steel scrubs, works pretty well until they get clogged by carbon deposits... But that takes a lot of time to happen and as long as the muffler is possible to open that wont be a problem, steel scrubs are cheap to replace anyways. I want the generator to be as quiet as possible to draw less unwanted attention.

Good idea with having the motor in the trailer wheel itself. Easy to detach from the bike, and can also be used on multiple bikes. I wonder if the 250w limit still applies for the trailer, as its not technically a part of the bike. Perhaps the trailer wheel could be powered directly from the 33cc motor. I will have to contact the authorities again to clarify this. I will let you guys know when i hear anything.

Attachments

• IMG_01011111111.jpg
    IMG_01011111111.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 639
  • dbs601d.jpg
    dbs601d.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 639
Back