35 MPH cruise, 10 mile range, looking for tips

Okay, my Lyen 12 FET controller arrived today along with the throttle and ebrake levers, so the ball is in motion.

Next up, order the motor, then find a suitable bike, torque arms and nord-locks, and then order a mere 18 Turnigy 4s hardcase lipos... Or maybe I will go with 6s instead, we shall see. And probably another Hyperion 1430i to mate with my current one to charge the pack as a whole.

Yeah, should be about Christmas when I finally get it all purchased, LOL. Just got an $1,800 bill from the vet for our sick puppy and there will be more to come, so gotta get him well first.

Thanks for the help and advice fellas!

wesnewell said:
Blackssr said:
I have 3 1000 watt kits from yescomusa. I purchased a Lyen 12 fet, CA DP and run 24s2p . I hit 55 MPH with this setup and could not be happier.
This speed just doesn't sound right to me. I'm running 24s2p using a 40A controller and only get ~45mph. Does my 270lbs make that much difference, or do you have your controller set to 120% pulling lots of amps?

Stats from my ride home last night. Weather was a perfect 78F and no wind at all. A perfect ride. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20130509_122146.jpg
    IMG_20130509_122146.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,603
hey blackssr so you spent $120 on motor. How much did invest on the complete build? I have the evg and may just replicate your build.

Blackssr said:
Tommy L said:
Blackssr said:
Tommy,
I have 3 1000 watt kits from yescomusa. I paid 284 less 10% (eBay10 code at checkout). I sold the original controllers on eBay for $60.00 each. The original chargers for $30.00 each. The original throttles for $15.00 each. The bike rack and bags for $20.00 each. I sold the tire and tube for $20.00. When all was said and done all I wanted was the motor which cost me ~ $120.00 or so. This is steal for a 1000 watt setup. I purchased a Lyen 12 fet, CA DP and run 24s2p . I hit 55 MPH with this setup and could not be happier. The best value on the market. I have put 2500 miles on my newest build and not a single issue.

That is cool! Much appreciate the info!
I dump around 4-5kw into my 9C2810. My daily controller dumps 2.5kw. The 9C2810 has been a sold unit too, and
it has a rear rotor :) But nice to hear there are other options. :wink:

Please to meet you!

Tommy L sends......
mosh.gif

Like this!

Sorry that I missed this post. Is that the SCREW on type Rotor?

That is cool! Much appreciate the info!
I dump around 4-5kw into my 9C2810. My daily controller dumps 2.5kw. The 9C2810 has been a sold unit too, and
it has a rear rotor :) But nice to hear there are other options. :wink:

Please to meet you!

Tommy L sends......
mosh.gif
[/quote]

Like this![/quote]

Sorry that I missed this post. Is that the SCREW on type Rotor?[/quote]
Screw On
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/bicycle-brake/disc-brake-adapter---free-or-flip-flip-hub.html
http://www.amazon.com/Syntace-Disc-Shims-Bag-8/dp/B001PTBPY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369064075&sr=8-1&keywords=bike+rotor+shims
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TV7FHI/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ftanka0 said:
hey blackssr so you spent $120 on motor. How much did invest on the complete build? I have the evg and may just replicate your build.

Ebike cost me $300 at first.. Sold all parts on ebay that I didn't need. Final cost of ebike after all parts sold: ~ $ 65.00
Ebay hub motor kit $ 285.00 less 10% at first. Sold all parts on ebay that I didn't need. Final cost of motor after all parts sold:~ $ 120.00
Lipo Batteries from HK (24s2p) ~ $ 360.00
CA-DP,12 Fet Lyen controller, Throttle, programming cable, 3 speed switch: All from Lyen ~ $310.00
Topeak rack and Bag ~ $125.00
Rear Disk brake with brackets ~ $ 100.00
Lighting, handlebar switch,wire, relays, DC-DC convertors, connectors and miscellaneous items ~$200.00
Lipo charger and Power supply $ 200.00
Michelin Pilot HD Tires ~ $ 80.00

About 100 man hours to complete build.

Total cost for a 55 mph ebike with a 25-30 mile range ~ $1560.00

I saved this much on gas in a year buy not taking my C6 or SRT8 to my office.

Blackssr said:
Screw On
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/bicycle-brake/disc-brake-adapter---free-or-flip-flip-hub.html
http://www.amazon.com/Syntace-Disc-Shims-Bag-8/dp/B001PTBPY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369064075&sr=8-1&keywords=bike+rotor+shims
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TV7FHI/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you! Great info!

Tommy L sends...

ftanka0 said:

I gave you all the details... Did you start yet? It has been nearly five weeks since you started asking and no progress yet? I am glad you are not a paramedic. :lol:

LOL, I do not know about ftanka0's situation, but for me so far our vet bill for our sick dog is up to $4k...

But, my birthday is one week from today and I told everybody that cash is king, so hopefully will get enough for the motor kit and a good used frame. Slowly, but surely! Already have the Lyen 12 FET controller, throttle, and ebrake levers. I actually had a dream about putting rim strips on the hub motored wheel last night. Yes, I really dreamt of putting on rim strips. Boring @ss dream... LOL!

On another note, took the Mongoose (modified CX24V450 running 9s and 16T rear sprocket) into town yesterday to hit the LBS and bakery. Most of my trips are inside the neighborhood and at most 1.3 miles each way, so this was the longest trip yet. 20 MPH average speed, 29 MPH max, 4.8 miles round trip. I took it easy on the way there, keeping the speed around 20 MPH. At the end of the first leg the motor was barely warm to the touch. Went full throttle on the way home and at the end of the trip the motor was HOT! Ambient temp was around 90 degrees. A full throttle 10 MPH run on that setup would probably kill that little motor.

maurtis said:
LOL, I do not know about ftanka0's situation, but for me so far our vet bill for our sick dog is up to $4k...

But, my birthday is one week from today and I told everybody that cash is king, so hopefully will get enough for the motor kit and a good used frame. Slowly, but surely! Already have the Lyen 12 FET controller, throttle, and ebrake levers. I actually had a dream about putting rim strips on the hub motored wheel last night. Yes, I really dreamt of putting on rim strips. Boring @ss dream... LOL!

On another note, took the Mongoose (modified CX24V450 running 9s and 16T rear sprocket) into town yesterday to hit the LBS and bakery. Most of my trips are inside the neighborhood and at most 1.3 miles each way, so this was the longest trip yet. 20 MPH average speed, 29 MPH max, 4.8 miles round trip. I took it easy on the way there, keeping the speed around 20 MPH. At the end of the first leg the motor was barely warm to the touch. Went full throttle on the way home and at the end of the trip the motor was HOT! Ambient temp was around 90 degrees. A full throttle 10 MPH run on that setup would probably kill that little motor.

Pet lover here also. I adopted a kitten 4 years ago from a kill shelter... We had no idea so was very sick.. By the time we found out how sick she was, we had already fallen in love with her, Her name is Maddie and she acts like a dog now. When she was a kitten she had ulsers on all her gums due to dental desease. I found a feline dental surgeon in Miami and was told ALL HER TEETH would have to be removed if she was going live and not starve to death... and new dentures would be implanted.. Well $ 5000.00 later Maddie has a movie star smile and is alive and healthy. She the best cat I have ever had. I swear she thinks she is a dog. She plays catch,fetch, comes when you call her, loves belly rubs , loves to ride in the front seat of my C6 with the top down, sleeps at the foot of the bed and is very vocal when you talk to her. I believs she knows we saved her. :). I have spent alot of money in my life on hobbies, expensive sports cars and travel, but this to me was the best 5 k I have ever spent.

Awww Black, that is awesome! We have 2 cats who are rescues but luckily only came with the usual mites and such. Our dog Cooper is only 2 and was just diagnosed with Evan's syndrome. We almost lost him but were able to pull him out of critical and now he is slowly getting better. But we love him, so it was never even an option to just let him go!

Before he got sick he used to love to go for runs along side me riding the Mongoose, LOL.

Blackssr said:
ftanka0 said:

I gave you all the details... Did you start yet? It has been nearly five weeks since you started asking and no progress yet? I am glad you are not a paramedic. :lol:

Since i have 3 ebikes, I ended up purchasing a ping battery for one of the bikes to resell and hopefully make some extra $$$ to work towards the next build. My next setup may be with the yescom motor and not sure if im gonna go lipo on the second build just yet. Im aiming for my third to be the master piece.

Picked up my frame today, a Schwinn Heavy Duti straight bar off CL for $60. In pretty good shape other than the terrible paint job, so it will get stripped down and either wire brush the raw steel and clear it, or paint. Not sure yet...

CL_1.jpg

I was thinking of just going with a multispeed cruiser to avoid having to spread the dropouts, but I have loved these frames for a while now and when this one popped up for cheap, I had to swoop. The rear dropouts should spread fine, and I will add a rear derailleur, 3/32" front sprocket, and a rapid fire shifter to go geared. A little more work than buying a multispeed cruiser, but I get the frame I want, so worth it!

Leaning towards a disc brake on the front, with some sort of suspension front end. We shall see...

Okay, had an awesome birthday and the family members were very generous. When asked what I wanted, my reply was "cash is king, baby!". Placed some orders today, woohoo! Since I am ditching the stock kit wheel, it did not make much sense to get the whole yescom kit since I would only be using the motor and putting the rest on a shelf as spares, so I just bought the motor alone from Golden Motor. $174 shipped, so not bad.

I also ordered two Weinmann DH-39 wheels, two CST Cyclops Pro tires, thick 2.4" Kenda downhill tubes, 166mm 12g spokes for the rear, 6 speed gears, Shimano TX75 rear derailleur, SL-TX50 6 speed shifter, front Sturmey-Archer 90mm XL-FD drum brake, and one pair of Doc's torque arms.

So once everything comes in, I am going to lace the motor into one of the wheels, spread the rear dropouts, have the torque arms welded to the frame, have my LBS lace the SA drum into the front wheel, and then strip the crappy paint off the frame and prime/paint while I gather the money for the batteries... Getting closer!

maurtis said:
Okay, had an awesome birthday and the family members were very generous. When asked what I wanted, my reply was "cash is king, baby!". Placed some orders today, woohoo! Since I am ditching the stock kit wheel, it did not make much sense to get the whole yescom kit since I would only be using the motor and putting the rest on a shelf as spares, so I just bought the motor alone from Golden Motor. $174 shipped, so not bad.

I also ordered two Weinmann DH-39 wheels, two CST Cyclops Pro tires, thick 2.4" Kenda downhill tubes, 166mm 12g spokes for the rear, 6 speed gears, Shimano TX75 rear derailleur, SL-TX50 6 speed shifter, front Sturmey-Archer 90mm XL-FD drum brake, and one pair of Doc's torque arms.

So once everything comes in, I am going to lace the motor into one of the wheels, spread the rear dropouts, have the torque arms welded to the frame, have my LBS lace the SA drum into the front wheel, and then strip the crappy paint off the frame and prime/paint while I gather the money for the batteries... Getting closer!

Happy B-day ( belated). :) I do not know how to lace a wheel. Would love to try someday. I was thinking how cool it would be if someone offered an aluminum alloy wheel/hub motor combo for these bikes with matching front wheel. I had a custom set of wheels made for my C6 and love them. I emailed the shop that did them (http://www.ccwheel.com/) and he has no interest in making hub/custom wheels for ebikes. :(. I think billet aluminum wheels would be awesome on an ebike. What do you think?

What batteries are you planning are using and where do you plan to place them? I am getting the urge to mod my Prodeco Phantom X with a 1000 watt motor and 100v lipo and try to hit 50 mph with that bike. I am thinking of ways to mount battery and controller without the " ghetto look" of visible wires and controller (Not an easy task of the Phantom X). The EV Global was so easy to hide the ugliness of wires and such.

I can see this wheel style for the front and a hub version for the rear,

You can get cast 20" wheels from Golden, but I think something like a billet or forged 24" or 26" mag wheel would be sweet.

I am planning on running the Turnigy 4s 5AH hard case lipos, most likely 18 of them for 15AH, but maybe start with 12 for 10AH, still deciding that one. I plan on mounting them in the triangle, still up in the air between building an enclosed battery box or open air. I actually like the "ghetto look" of the batteries and wires, if the wiring is tidy. Plus, it makes it easier to rip off and toss a pack if things go nuclear.

Yay, Christmas! Okay, maybe a little early, but that is how it feels, LOL. Today both my GM Pro 901 48V/1000W motor arrived from Golden Motor and my shipment from Niagara Cycles arrived. Those Kenda 2.4 - 2.75" downhill tubes are beefy. With the CST Cyclops Pro tires in the DH-39 wheel, that should be a nice, solid wheel!

Everything looks to be in good shape, so starting the lacing tonight. Still waiting on Doc's torque arms to arrive so I can get them welded on, then I can start putting the bike together. And try and find $400 worth of pennies in the couch cushions for batteries...

BTW, the other day a 1999 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme showed up on CL for $50, in great shape. While the frame is a little smaller and not as tough as the Heavy Duti frame, it is in much better shape, already has 135mm rear dropouts, has cantilever brakes for the rear, cable routing for the rear derailleur, etc. It will make the build a lot easier and cleaner. So selling off the red frame Schwinn Heavy Duti!

Candidates_scaled.jpg

Blackssr said:
I hope this helps some members out there with a similar setup like mine. After about 1/2 hour or so and following the worksheet that Lyen set me I determined the correct wire combo for my Yescomusa ( the LA Shop) 1000 wattt ebay kit. The motors runs smooth as it did before with a no amp load of about .80-1.5.

Hall Controller - Hall Motor
Blue - Blue
Yellow - Green
Green - Yellow

Phase Controller - Phase Motor
Blue - Blue
Yellow - Green
Green - Yellow

So I just swap the green and yellow wires in one end of the hall connector and plug the green phase wire on the controller into the yellow phase wire on the motor?

maurtis said:
Blackssr said:
I hope this helps some members out there with a similar setup like mine. After about 1/2 hour or so and following the worksheet that Lyen set me I determined the correct wire combo for my Yescomusa ( the LA Shop) 1000 wattt ebay kit. The motors runs smooth as it did before with a no amp load of about .80-1.5.

Hall Controller - Hall Motor
Blue - Blue
Yellow - Green
Green - Yellow

Phase Controller - Phase Motor
Blue - Blue
Yellow - Green
Green - Yellow

So I just swap the green and yellow wires in one end of the hall connector and plug the green phase wire on the controller into the yellow phase wire on the motor?

That is what I did to marry the Yescomusa motor to the Lyen 12 fet controller. I believe the GM and yescomusa have the same wiring. Others may want to chime in to confirm.

All the motors I got from yescomusa had GM part numbers on them. I had to swap the same colors to my Hua Tong controller.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation!

Last night I realized that neither my 3-in-1 Park spoke tool, nor the new set of spoke wrenches I bought went up to 12 gauge, LOL. So I unlaced one of the rims with a pair of lever lock pliers and will hit my LBS today to pick up a 12 gauge spoke wrench to lace in the hub motor. I need to pick up some rim tape while I am there anyway...

While the spokes are out I am going to take a heat gun and try to get that DH39 sticker off of the wheel too. FWIW, I only have two spoke holes on the inside that need to be deburred, I was expecting it to be a lot worse. For the $, I am REALLY liking these wheels. Thanks for the suggestions, fellas!

My LBS did not have any 12 gauge spoke wrenches for sale, but did let me borrow one of theirs. It is a small mom-and-pop shop so they tend to not stock a lot, but they are very helpful!

Got my motor laced up without much difficulty, so will hit the LBS tomorrow to return the spoke wrench and get the wheel trued. Then install some rim tape, tube and tire, and do a test fit on the bike! My measurements showed that the Cyclops should fit on the frame with a little less than an inch to spare, so we shall see.

Laced_1_cross_scaled.jpg

Heat question for you guys running the yescom/GM Pro 901 48V/1000W motor. How much heat does the motor build up on flat ground in the 35 - 40 MPH range? Would it be worth drilling holes to vent if I am spending 4-5 minutes at a time at those speeds? How about should I venture further out and try to run at 35 - 40 for 10 minutes straight?

You can run it continuous at 35mph, assuming there's not a lot of drag. At takes a lot more voltage and power to get to 40mph. I wouldn't run it at 40mph more than 5 minutes in 100F heat we have here in TX. Bare in mind I've never tried to push it like this so couldn't say for sure when you'd reach the point where damage would occur. With stock voltages there should never be a problem since you will likely never hit anything above 35mph on level ground. This would be the same for common Clyte and 9C motors from what I can tell.If you want to cruise over 35mph, be practical and get a bigger motor.

Back