• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

48v 1000w Conhis 2004 DH Cannondale Jekyll (Lots of pics!)

Some more pics, Still needs lots of fine tuning. Battery box lid need to be re-built, for some reason the turn signals are not flashing and I'm thinking of going with kold kanuck idea of using banjo bolt switches for the brakes.

199346_10150204760946457_617741456_8100136_7543103_n.jpg

200574_10150204760916457_617741456_8100135_8031214_n.jpg

205512_10150204760816457_617741456_8100133_4420138_n.jpg

199153_10150204760876457_617741456_8100134_4960845_n.jpg

207692_10150204761026457_617741456_8100138_7280964_n.jpg

Bike can also be seem here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17544&start=30

Lots of video to come.

Hey looking good! How do you like the connhis motor?

I have to say I'm impressed but could always do with a bit more power. Maybe I should have designed its as a smaller lighter bike next time but 30mph and 20 mile range is fine by me on 12ah 48v 1000w.

What kind of voltage sag are you seeing with the headways? I also forgot to mention I am running 15s Lipo, so I get closer to 60V hot, even under load..

Cheap plastic stops play for today.

196275_10150206873196457_617741456_8120338_5838625_n.jpg

196010_10150206873301457_617741456_8120340_4338808_n.jpg

Cheap plug melted on me while ripping up some DH Dirt, was able to wire and tape a fix there and then to get home.

Thansk for the lighting pic. :) Unfortunately Vimeo's player won't work on my computer, so I can't see the vid. :(

The plastic plug probably melted due to poor contact of connector pins. That's usually what does it, as that makes them high-resistance, or even worse, arcs across them if gaps occur. :( Sometimes it happens not because of the pins themselves, but because of poor crimps of the wires into the pins, which does the same thing.

I also really like how your battery box turned out. If I wasn't sure someone would trash or steal my bike(s), I'd do something similar with the venting thing for appearance/etc. on boxes for mine. (instead, I let mine look nice and trashy so no one is tempted to steal them, so far).

amberwolf said:
Thansk for the lighting pic. :) Unfortunately Vimeo's player won't work on my computer, so I can't see the vid. :(

The plastic plug probably melted due to poor contact of connector pins. That's usually what does it, as that makes them high-resistance, or even worse, arcs across them if gaps occur. :( Sometimes it happens not because of the pins themselves, but because of poor crimps of the wires into the pins, which does the same thing.

I also really like how your battery box turned out. If I wasn't sure someone would trash or steal my bike(s), I'd do something similar with the venting thing for appearance/etc. on boxes for mine. (instead, I let mine look nice and trashy so no one is tempted to steal them, so far).

Hey thanks my box is already held together by duct tape after a great dirt jump ride in the hills today. I tend to make things look nice and trash them pretty fast, it means I get to rebuild and improve.

The quality of the plugs is poor but I think I may have bottomed it out which cause the first problem. Now replaced with Anderson connectors for the time being. I could always put the video up on a file share site for you if you want. Do you know why your PC won't play Vimeo?

Olivettibakebean said:
I could always put the video up on a file share site for you if you want. Do you know why your PC won't play Vimeo?
The site (along with many others) has scripts that try to bring up ads or other things that often crash my browser, so I have to block them from running. That also means that almost always, the vids won't play either. Youtube doesnt' have this problem, so it always makes me happier when people use it for the vids (but I understand why some don't like the site).

I was thinking about the idea about using banjo bolts with built in pressure switches. I have been riding motorbikes for years but its one thing I have never built. I'm guessing but does this bolt normally fit into a hole on the mater cylinder plugging it and being closed and opened buy the change in pressure?

What do you think the best way to fit this to my brakes?

My best guess is to find or build a x3 hole T-piece so I can fit the in, out and the switch.

Does anyone have any experience with sizing the bolts or bike hose sizes? My brakes are Avid juicy 7 brakes. http://www.bicyclebuys.com/productimages/1428815PART.jpg

I may go ask at a scooter place tomorrow but I went to 7 or so stores today in SF asking for a relay for my turn signals built for LED's cos the old school 12v ones don't flash LED's. No one had a clue what I was talking about, must be the English accent. Ended up buying one from ebay.

Let me know what you think guys.

I took a closer look at your brake set up and i'm afraid it doesn't really look like it's possible. First problem is the hose connection at the lever/master cyl. doesn't look like any kind of common thread that can be adapted to. So the next option would be to replace the banjo bolt at the caliper with one of the switch type ones that we talked about in our pms. However upon further inspection it appears that the banjo bolts on the caliper incorporate the bleeder screws into them so replacing with the switch style would eliminate any easy means of bleeding the brakes. I suppose you could look at t-ing into the hose itself with compression and ferrell fittings but working with hose that small is never fun. Plus i don't normally recommend using such fittings on brake lines as they're an easy point of failure under typical hydraulic brake line type pressures although i'm not sure what kind of pressure theses brakes actually produce. You may want to check with your LBS and see if maybe they have a possible solution as i'm sure you're not the first person who's wanted to put a brake light on their commuter bike or revisit a means of a lever operated mechanical switch.

Good to see you sourced the led flasher though :wink:

Yeah still scratching my head over the brake light thing. May contact the manufactures to see if they have any idea I have missed or go back to the reed switch idea. New flasher turned up today so I will try fitting that tomorrow fingers crossed it works.

So turn signals working great now. Just upgrade forks, brake light and key ignition to do now. Can anyone recommend a good 48v key ignition? Not too expensive please but will consider any products. Thanks!

Nice Ride ! Maybe I missed the driving part, but how is that ?

Any resistance in biking without power ?
Strong enough to put a smile on your face ? :D
And you use 1000 watts ? Or what controller do you have with what settings ?
Any noise from the motor ?

Thanks ! :D

That is one sweet ride!!! Nice work!!!!

I see that you have your wires attached along the top of the triangle to get to your controller and other lighting on the back. Have you considered just running them through the battery box for a cleaner cable run? It seems like that could really make it look cleaner and even more awesome-er.

Just a thought...

Bazaki said:
Nice Ride ! Maybe I missed the driving part, but how is that ?

Any resistance in biking without power ?
Strong enough to put a smile on your face ? :D
And you use 1000 watts ? Or what controller do you have with what settings ?
Any noise from the motor ?

Thanks ! :D
Its a Conhis 48v 1000w rear hub motor.
Yeah there is def a little resistance when just pedaling.
Perfect strength for me 30mph and quite good torque.
Controller in the non-regen one from Conhis.
Motor is very quiet.

thenate1 said:
That is one sweet ride!!! Nice work!!!!

I see that you have your wires attached along the top of the triangle to get to your controller and other lighting on the back. Have you considered just running them through the battery box for a cleaner cable run? It seems like that could really make it look cleaner and even more awesome-er.

Just a thought...
Yeah think I will do this at some point once everything is working, I will have a go at making everything more visually pleasing. As it sits the battery box is going to be redesigned and built as I smashed the lid pretty bad jumping stairs, its now held shut with one bolt and lots of duct tape.

Can you program or do some settings with this controller ? Like Amp and lvc ?

Bazaki said:
Can you program or do some settings with this controller ? Like Amp and lvc ?

Sorry mate my experience with electrics started with building cars. I'm more of a designer, I have very limited knowledge of e-bike tech as yet but I'm learning. There are no dials or switches on the controller if that helps.

Hi mate, do you think a Ping 48v20ah could fit in your frame? I really love that bike and there's one for sale here...
Please let me know.
Cheers

Battery Dimension: 195x210x150 mm / 7.7x8.3x5.9 inches

Back