48v ~25ah high quality battery - does it exist?

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
em3ev doesn't have it..
ebikes.ca doesn't have it..

Spent an entire Sunday trying to identify a battery seller with known very good construction and came up with nobody making a 48v battery >19ah.

There's some 'dorado' cases that can be fit with 48v 25ah but anyone selling a battery that size seems like a fly by night Chinese aliexpress/amazon seller.. not interested.

Am i missing out on knowing about a high quality pack maker for this size?

Only ones I've seen that I'd probably trust on my own systems are a few of those built on this forum or by other DIYers elsewhere. :(

Or DIYing your own from a used EV module of large-format cells. (or smaller types if that's your preference, but there's more chances for interconnect failures over time).

Only ones I've seen that I'd probably trust on my own systems are a few of those built on this forum or by other DIYers elsewhere. :(

Or DIYing your own from a used EV module of large-format cells. (or smaller types if that's your preference, but there's more chances for interconnect failures over time).

Seriously considering this route at this point..

What makes you think this is an above average quality pack?
All cells used in our batteries are 100% new and tested to International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard 62133-2-2017 or 2012, beware as many Australian suppliers do not mention the brand of cell used

UN38.8 Certification and MSDS

• 48 Volt
  • 20AH / 960 WH
  • 5000Mah 21700 Samsung cells

The site says this about all of their batteries. They list the manufacturer of the cells they use, and it's always name-brand good, like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG.

I got crabby with him once about mis-labeling a charging connector, but I'm not certain he made the mistake, and I think his batteries are as good as any.

em3ev doesn't have it..
ebikes.ca doesn't have it..

Spent an entire Sunday trying to identify a battery seller with known very good construction and came up with nobody making a 48v battery >19ah.

There's some 'dorado' cases that can be fit with 48v 25ah but anyone selling a battery that size seems like a fly by night Chinese aliexpress/amazon seller.. not interested.

Am i missing out on knowing about a high quality pack maker for this size?
Try the contact form with EM3EV, they used to make a 9P triangle pack and I think they make some other custom packs for various companies. Just ask them and see if they can do it and what kinds of form factors might be available that would match your needs. You will need 13S X 7P 18650 cells at the highest AH ratings or 13S X 5P 21700 cells at 5 AH/cell. Not sure why the demand for exactly 48V and not 52 but ...

The site says this about all of their batteries. They list the manufacturer of the cells they use, and it's always name-brand good, like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG.

I got crabby with him once about mis-labeling a charging connector, but I'm not certain he made the mistake, and I think his batteries are as good as any.

OK, this is pretty interesting, when i clicked on that link, i got a different page this time. Truly strange..

Anyway this looks like a good company, they do have a 25ah battery. It's too bad they don't ship internationally ( i'm in the USA ). Thanks for trying to help!

Its the best, longest lasting, strongest and safest way.

I'll build you a 50ah for 500$ or a 25ah for 350$. Brand new Chevy cells. lol. No BMS, you will not kill it. think bout how I ca do that. Lol. When the junk Ebike packs proliferate... and die... and have problems.. rust... cold... age...my EV cell pack ignores that and just goes for years on end. You wont kill it. it just goes for hours on end. Litteraly 30 mile one way trips for me nowadays... I just trust the bike.

The bike has been like 50K miles.

Do it. Ive helped about twenty people build packs with my systems that I sell. Nary a complaint, yet to see a dead pack.
Seriously considering this route at this point..

Its the best, longest lasting, strongest and safest way.

I'll build you a 50ah for 500$ or a 25ah for 350$. Brand new Chevy cells. lol. No BMS, you will not kill it. think bout how I ca do that. Lol. When the junk Ebike packs proliferate... and die... and have problems.. rust... cold... age...my EV cell pack ignores that and just goes for years on end. You wont kill it. it just goes for hours on end. Litteraly 30 mile one way trips for me nowadays... I just trust the bike.

The bike has been like 50K miles.

Do it. Ive helped about twenty people build packs with my systems that I sell. Nary a complaint, yet to see a dead pack.
Interested, Will send PM with info on what I need to see if good match.

OK, this is pretty interesting, when i clicked on that link, i got a different page this time. Truly strange..

Anyway this looks like a good company, they do have a 25ah battery. It's too bad they don't ship internationally ( i'm in the USA ). Thanks for trying to help!
Drive out to Cali, i will let ya use the battery builder station...

It has wheels, it's own bucket of sand, a nice comfy chair to sit on while working, USB, a sound system... I may have gone over board, i wanted all the comforts of my desk but you know.. wheeled outside so when I inevitably start a fire, it is just embarrassing, not insurance canceling.

I even have a cold box that clips on (lil ice thing with a cup holder in it to keep your lemonaid cold) what? don't judge me, I did 15 years of service (ok, some was ROTC) and since I am old and fat, I like my creature comforts...

I even have massage chairs in my car :😆:

Chevy cells are rather heavy aren't they?

Driving to Cali would be too expensive :(

CD, i'd love to buy one of your packs if shipping and AUS/USD cost differential wasn't such a pain.

Building my own is sounding more appealing, lol..

^--yeah that's my best thinking..

I'd also like to build with some of these new 5.6-5.8ah 21700's instead, but it seems nobody is selling them in the open market just yet..

I think the answer for me for now is to buy a temporary smaller battery pack and forget about this monster 48v unit for now.

Chevy cells are rather heavy aren't they?
early gen are 383g ea, later are 450g ea.

Do a 12s, it will weigh 4.59kg. 10.11922lb Early cell. 12s battery. 15ah cell.

Late is 25ah cell. So 12s is 5.4kG.

Interested, Will send PM with info on what I need to see if good match.
I am sorry, I am not rteallly building batteries for everyone., I offered for NEP bc he has done alot for the community. Just a select few can I meet the needs of and have ten people waiting for packs in line before you... it takes me a goood bit of time for a good pack.

If you have the space, this could be a good option

Appears to be 134whrs/kg in total with the case, and 6 inches wide. I def don't have any space for that on the bike :/

TBH I would only really consider using tesla cells because they're the only high whrs/kg option i can see in this used cells market.

If it comes down to it lemme know what you go with. I might *MIGHT* be able to help out.

I am not a licensed importer.. but I know a guy and I get things through customs all the time, It ads 40 bucks to pay him to manage the paperwork, and for some reason, my packages that he does the paperwork on *NEVER* get stopped, not once in 5 years and I have ordered some truly weird stuff.

I am working towards a couple pallets of batteries coming in for a client, his build is gonna run about 1.15 pallets, so I have slack space that I can add into for the weight cost of shipping, when that event comes up I am filling that 2nd pallet like a stuffed goose. But twixt now and then.. I ain't got no resources happening...

I am sorry, I am not rteallly building batteries for everyone., I offered for NEP bc he has done alot for the community. Just a select few can I meet the needs of and have ten people waiting for packs in line before you... it takes me a goood bit of time for a good pack.
So I am underserving. That's ok. I'd still like to know (probably other's too), the protocol of charging and discharging your batteries w/o a BMS.

So I am underserving. That's ok. I'd still like to know (probably other's too), the protocol of charging and discharging your batteries w/o a BMS.
No no friend; I can only meet so many at a time with good merit. Without having to help the buyer. I literally have 50 requests so far this year... I might meet one, two, or three. Maybe 4.

With friends whom i do not have to spend the time.. such as Nep. I personally know... he has well over 10 years of experience and I know this. I do not have the time to cater to every request..... customers take time... effort, response, for I do not know the capability.

You are certainly deserving, i just cannot meet the demand. Nothing of your fault, entirely my fault.

For past posts, pls look at the " index of pouch connection " that Spinning magnets has here.

I learned the idea of " bulk charging" from Luke and Dr. Bass and Steev-o who experimented with it years ago with large format EV cells. Yes they are very good cells,: self healing, very long lasting. The cell i use.

A big difference form a cell that makes 2-500 cycles, vs one that does 10-20,000. the one that does 20K cycles is much better behaved. If you make a pack with 200 cycle cells, no bms, yes it might be a problem, might die in a year, and BMS does balancing constantly... but if you multiply that lifespan by 100x, you will learn you can get away without balancing every day.

I do balance the pack on a datalogger , 2x, 4x a year. not much balancing current travels.

i measure the balance current.

Yes they are very good cells. No BMS for five years now, and zero failed cells. I only do a thing called " bulk charging" ( <<< put this in searchbar).

The packs i sell I provide a BMS for. However, I have not used one on my own bike. i even have very good data acquisition systems, that can do 32 cells at 40A ea and 5700w, . to XLS. I do datalog every cell I use. .... that alone is a 60 hour chore for a 20 cell pack...... datalog the cells for selling.

I would be very happy to run a battery without a BMS personally if it were broken up into 2-3 units which could be balanced with a high quality RC balancer.

If the cells were meticulously matched ( IR/capacity all matching ), said pack should go 100's of cycles without a rebalance..

Back