A whole new level of spun axles - what 10KW does to an X5

I will press it out, knurl splines into it, and press it back in for free for you Methy.

But shipping both ways on a boat anchor would suck.

Face it, it's dead. If you can put enough power into a hub motor to strip the stator splines and not rip the dropout then I'm impressed :shock:
Is that photo of the black/crispy stator your current one that stripped the splines? There is no reliable way to fix this and have it perform at the levels you used it to before other than a new aluminum stator, so basically a new motor.
Pin it and sell it on ebay with a 20 amp controller :p

I'd be tempted to drill some holes exactly on the seam and then insert some pins to prevent rotation.

Affliction said:
Face it, it's dead. If you can put enough power into a hub motor to strip the stator splines and not rip the dropout then I'm impressed :shock:
Is that photo of the black/crispy stator your current one that stripped the splines? There is no reliable way to fix this and have it perform at the levels you used it to before other than a new aluminum stator, so basically a new motor.
Pin it and sell it on ebay with a 20 amp controller :p

No - the crispy one is my last hub.
That one is dead

This one that just spun is just fine. It has never overheated and it made great power right down till the second it blew up (for the 6th time)

My drops are custom-gangster status
My frame is aluminum. A long time back it got hosed when I was doing 2KW regen
I built up some super-ghetto axle-holders and that have held up just fine

Damn pictures are not showing up... This thread was from before the 800px limit.
Project Mayhem

-methods

Edit: Welding in the living room :p
MayhemWelding.jpg

I forgot to congratulate you on this. This is a benchmark of fantastic progress in your ability to generate torque out of that motor. This means your controller and battery solution are pretty fantastic.

I know Methy pretty well. He isn't going to want to fix this the right way. I've thought of a Methy-friendly fix.

Throw it in an oven to let that aluminum expand and relieve the tension between stator and axle bush. Wrap it in a towel, and pinch the outside of the stator in a vise. Put a pipe-wrench onto some surface on the axle that doesn't have threads, or a bearing seating surface. Rotate the axle back to desired position.

OR

Alternatively, you could forget about correcting the rotation, and simply extend the wires, then continue with fixing the axle solid.

I see a few options that seem ghetto enough to be a Methy-friendly-fix to stop axle rotation. I'm going to do a CADoodle picture. Largely just for the much needed practice in CADoodling, so don't get too flattered. ;)

Yea... This advice coming from the guy who convinced me to hook a chain to my car and use it to "break" something free a few years ago . . . :roll:
Same guy who got me to shoot my paintball gun into my reef tank after a Calcium Hydroxide accident
Same guy who has a motorcycle covered in leopard skin
Same guy who drilled a hole thru his hand and super glued it :shock:

You know what Luke - You are right!
I can leave the axle just how it is - so long as I stop it from rotating anymore
I will just give the stator/axle interface the ol'methods treatment and I will be right back in business!

Dude - SWEET!
THANKS LUKE!!! XOXOXOXOXOXO

lol... you do totally know me. . . . . :oops:

Forget the machine shop!
Forget doing it right!
I can HACK it 8)

Pictures to come

- methods

It's the least I could do Methy :)

Somebody give me 2 dimensions of things so I can CADoodle better.

I want axle bush/stator ID diameter.

I want the OD of the aluminum portion of the stator.

Don't need to be exact.

BTW- You are a hero for welding in the living room. Only other guy I knew who did that was Mike Belben from way back in the day, and he didn't have $20,000+ in delicate reef animals shareing the room with him. That makes you easily twice as living-room-welding-hardcore.

Anyone got those dimensions? I've got a hell of a ghetto-riffic option for Methy, and it's going to be a damn strong permanate solution. Requires a drill press though... or hands like Larry W's...

Theres a pic somewhere of Methy setup for welding in the kitchen IIRC too haha..You can do this when you is GangSTA 8)
and have 'trained' the missus properly, she probably hold the pieces for Methy whilst he welds them to............... ....not

KiM

Ok, I finished CADoodling finally. I am so not good at it yet. I spent 2 hours to create a couple simple CADoodles, fortunately I'm at work, or I would never spend my time so poorly. :) I imagine a pro like Miles would have spent 5 minutes to make a much better CADoodle.

The concept here is really easy, and doesn't need a fancy drawing, I just did the drawings for the practice learning to draw.

Drill some small holes, and one large one, tap the small ones (kinda a PITA to turn the tap because they are almost up against the axle), set the plate on and screw it down with high-temp loc-tite. Done.

If somebody would have given some dimensions, I would have made the drawings accurate rather than just a concept drawing.

statorplatefix.png

x5statorcoreholes.png

plateinstalled.png

I had totally missed that KiM had the same idea, and also made a drawing. lol

It's ok though, I got the experience CADoodling that I wanted. :)

I thought of a better idea. How about you send me this POS, and I will put a large slotted bushing on the shaft in the area the bearing rides. A slot area sized to fit a pair of water lines, and 3 legs of 8awg through the slot. Then make a custom end-cover on that side that is sized to hold the new much larger bearing size. I'm not going to try to make anything fancy like a disk brake mount on an end cover though, just a plate the bolts up to the rotor and holes the larger size bearing.

Liquid cooled.
Mondo phase leads.
It would be kinda neato.

I would only do it under one condition though... That you promise to find a way to burn it up :)

TylerDurden said:
Even more ghetto:

grind six flats on the axle and put a box wrench on it. Hose clamp the wrench to a spoke on the stator.

We have a winner!

That has Methy written all over it.

liveforphysics said:
I had totally missed that KiM had the same idea, and also made a drawing. lol

Great minds think alike Luke :mrgreen: hehee...your drawing is sexier than my 30 second photochop
effort and easier to understand :wink: either way its a quick simple fix that can be accomplished with minimal tools
with an end result of a stronger than stock motor....

KiM

liveforphysics said:
TylerDurden said:
Even more ghetto:

grind six flats on the axle and put a box wrench on it. Hose clamp the wrench to a spoke on the stator.

We have a winner!

That has Methy written all over it.
I like this one the best! To to funny! And the best part is this will work and methy will do it. WONT YOU!

He could even grind/cut out a big slot down the middle of the wrench, and fold the legs down so they tightly straddle one of the big aluminum spokes. Cut a notch out of the wrench for the wires to pass, then tack-weld the wrench end right to the axle bush. That way he doesn't have to find the perfect sized wrench, or file any flat spots. :p If he could lay a decent bead, it would be able to easily hold hundreds of foot-lbs.

davespicer said:
TylerDurden said:
Even more ghetto:

Sounds like that'd unbalance things a bit... at these mondo power levels I'd wonder about wheel hop. :shock:

the stator does not spin.. :wink: ( well.. it did.. but .. you get the idea )

Tyler is taking a shot at the box end wrenches I had hose clamped on my bike to hold the rear nuts tight.
For the record they are gone - not due to shame or the fact that they were useless - but mostly just because I got sick of taking them off every time I blew the motor :D

The irony is that I would do it... (hose clamp a wrench) Too much grinding involved though.
As far as balance - that is the stationary part so no issue.

I have a set of really good cobalt drill bits
My plan is to try what Fechter suggested.
I am going to drill thru the aluminum into the steel ring as perpendicular to the seam as possible. (without going to any trouble or using proper tools of course)
One on each side will do the trick

Size of the hole will be determined by the size of the pin I can find at Orchard Supply Hardware.

I agree with BigMoose that if I just drilled straight down and inserted a pin the rolling action would cause it to want to open up wider.
Setting a pin sideways tho - all it would take would be the tiniest pin... like 1/4" and that could easily hold it.

I have loads of high grade epoxy - those pin will never come out.

Give me a few hours

-methods

Methods,

Either your wife is a saint or she enjoys this stuff as much as you do... either way, lucky man! :wink:

That was a Sunday morning and she was asleep
That woman can sleep thru even the angle grinder.

Notice that our floors are cement and we have 2x4 reef tank stands everywhere.

I met her on the internet - she was selling coral from her reef tank.
She makes more than me (i.e. she is my sugar mama) and her dad loves to come over and perform as slave labor.
I rode her away from the alter on an electric bike.

I am living the dream :wink:

-methods

Back