A whole new level of spun axles - what 10KW does to an X5

I wish I had a concrete living room floor. Be careful not to set that rug on fire though.

PB210025.JPG

I am looking at the motor and still don' understand the joint...

- steel part is definitely pressed into alum.
- it is definitely conical because one side have larger diameter then other.
- there are two slots that looks like someone hammered in the screwdriver and broke it. Never seen such slot or something in my life before.

Ok - I took some closeup pictures.
These are from my Cell Phone - but it is a G1 - So they are not bad.

The pictures do not show it - but to my eye - it looks like there were originally 2 aluminum keys that were part of the Stator.
It looks like the steel insert had two slots
It looks like they keys sheered off.

In the picture the "keys" look dark like steel but *the keys really look like aluminum* they have the same machining marks as the rest of the stator
Camera can not capture this.

I can say that they used some sort of epoxy (like JB Weld) to fix the insert into the stator.

-methods

Zoom.jpg

Attachments

• 2009-11-21 15.13.04.jpg
    2009-11-21 15.13.04.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,853
OMG...
Upon closer inspection the stator arms have gaping holes... terrible casting imperfections. I am talking like 5mm wide 5mm deep tunnels that go in.

These castings are SERIOUS GARBAGE

I will snap a shot the next time I download from the phone.

I am going to the garage to get my quality drill bits :twisted:

-methods

Behold the Ghetto

Attachments

• 033_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    033_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,134
  • 001_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    001_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,117
  • 004_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    004_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,141
  • 006_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    006_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 007_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    007_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,118
  • 008_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    008_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,138
  • 009_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    009_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,119
  • 011_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    011_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 012_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    012_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,119
Stage two of the Ghettoness

Attachments

• 013_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    013_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,113
  • 014_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    014_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,128
  • 017_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    017_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,127
  • 018_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    018_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,127
  • 019_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    019_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,109
  • 020_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    020_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,131
  • 021_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    021_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,109
  • 022_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    022_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,109
  • 024_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    024_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,129
And the the Ghetto sauce...

Attachments

• 030_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    030_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,126
  • 031_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    031_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,123
  • 032_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    032_Nov09_9Cmod.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,104
You did a way stronger fix than I ever would have expected. Good work Methy!

I cant quit laughing thats awsome 100% gettofabulious! I loveit I think the nails or spokes will hold it as long as they are not to maluble.

PS methods mines fixed and purs like a kitten I did a test and the fans do help alot! SEE air cooling x5 thread!

Awesome. As I was reading along, I was thinking something like that, Drill some angled holes and then put some screws in em. But you went one better to the carpenter in me, ya actually nailed it. Right on.

The only thing I would have done different is that I would have dipped the nails in Epoxy *before* pushing them thru.
I was going to do that but I had the realization (while pounding the stator with a hammer) that I should not push my luck.

If those nails were the only thing holding the axle I would say that it was going to fail.
Given that it is already press fit and when it moves, it is very little, I suspect that fastening it at 3 points will be enough to stop it from moving any farther.

Thanks Fechter for the angle idea
Thanks Doc for the Glue idea
Thanks others who suggested welding etc
Thanks Luke for mentioning that I did not need to actually *fix* it and that I could ghetto rig it.

The wheel is built back up and wired - ready to go tomorrow morning
(or late tonight :twisted: )

-methods

Oh and off topic guess what came in! These are 21inch overall dia I will mesure excactly when I mont them and inflate them to proper presure! But that will be good for about 4 km more top speed! And alot more puncture resistant and dot aproved!

You know what this meens time to do the best x5 smokeshow ever!
The best way to get a old tire off is to mke it explode right?

Attachments

• STA70784.JPG
    STA70784.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,239
  • STA70786.JPG
    STA70786.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,239
  • STA70785.JPG
    STA70785.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,222
Arlo1 said:

Always seems to help with the tires on my racecars :) The beads are so damn strong though, sometimes it might add work to the removal process, but it's definately the most fun way to let the air out of them. :)

Arlo1 said:

The answer would be yes - assuming there is a video camera running.

It would be better tho if you could do it at 2AM drunk in your tighty-whities :eek:

-methods

methods said:
assuming there is a video camera running.

It would be better tho if you could do it at 2AM drunk in your tighty-whities :eek:

-methods
Never thought of that. But its proly not good advice for a guy who had a party in edmonton with friends who painted a arow on the buisy streat pointing at our house with party wrote under it! That nite there may have been naked wheelies down the street with a friends xr50 8) On a more civilized note I focus my energy not wasting quite as many brain cells drinking beer and instead I focus on making all my toys faster! I will try to get a couple cameras together tomorow! I helped a friend mount his helmet cam just for this!

liveforphysics said:
[

Always seems to help with the tires on my racecars :) The beads are so damn strong though, sometimes it might add work to the removal process, but it's definately the most fun way to let the air out of them. :)
Owning Hobby King must be a great life sounds like you make alot of money some how! :wink:

Wow, spinning the stator is a whole new failure mode, congratulations! :shock:

I like your fix - it should certainly be more than strong enough - but I would have liked to have seen some duct tape integrated in the process, just on princible. :lol:

I am impressed by the damage and the fix.

-JD

I took it out at midnight last night.
Burned off 700Wh - Everything is A-OK

On the way back I overheated the motor a little because the damn rear brake is acting up again.
I need to switch a brake that will allow me to set the gap at the pads - these Juicy 7's dont have that ability so when the case shifts on the axle the brakes rub.
Maybe I can shim out the case if I can find thin enough washers.

In 100% honesty I went a little easy on the motor.
I ran it hard but I laid off the wheelie attempts.
Every time I was about to wrap the throttle I had visions of pedaling my 90lb bike 5 miles on huge knobby tires with shorted phase wires.
That is like pedaling a dirtbike.

-methods

Even when pulling wheelies on shaft drive BMWs you have to roll on them right so you don't strip out the splines, theres always a mechanical limit:D Don't give up on the wheelies though,
ebike wheelies are good for the revolution!

I wheely mine all the time 8)

grindz145 said:
Arlo1 said:
I wheely mine all the time 8)[/q]

good to see support for the revolution :!:
We have alot of those gay 32km/h scooters out here that people ride on the edge of the road and all the car owners hate them I get alot of people who think about those slow stupid scooters when I tell them I electrified my bmx (I set them strait) But as for what I do for pissing off car owners is passing them at speeds they can not achive up hills and I out accelerate them off the line usualy when they see a bike they think they need to pass lol. I will continue to reak havic on my streets as long as I have parts for my bmx availible! I have some people who are about to jump on bord when I finish verifing I have sorted out the cooling problem!

I looked for fans today and came up with crap.
Only had 40x40x10mm

I want something smaller and fatter with more pitch and higher RPM

-methods

OK ok calm down! if the stator spoke are aluminum and thats what spun heat will be one of you biggest problems Aluminum has a higher thermal expansion then steal !!
Ok so back to the fans i think mine might be 40x40x10mm but I will likely put thickers ones in, in the future. So on the air cooling thread I have alink to one place you can get many different fans from! Here it is because I know clicking a mouse is alot of work for some people :wink:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/fans.html
Chances are you will need to scroll down so hope thats not to much work 8)

Back