Amazon plans to use drones!!!

They look very fragile, but people may be surprised how tough they are.
iv been playing with an AR drone and also a more basic quadcopter with basic gyro...

My ar drone uses a 3 s 1ah or 1.5ah cells, i get upto 10 mins flight time
other quad is a mere 1s 500mah cell, I get about 7 mins flight time,
both have about the same flight speed
I do prefer to fly the smaller one, its 2.4ghz and has better range than the ar with wifi,

iv been playing with these as i need to build up my flight skills and going to be building a custom one soon that will hopefully be sweet for aerial video. will cost in the thousands

One thing that will drain the battery fast is flying in the wind, I find flying early in the morning, just as the sun is comming out it seems to be less windy, not sure why this is, or if its just been coincidence.

I think if they calculate everything it will be pretty darn good for the business, like it should be cheaper in the long run.
id just hate fatal error that drops the package, but i guess they can also figure out a way for a soft landing if this does happen.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/533723/amazon_drones_fantasy_says_ebay_ceo/

Amazon drones are 'fantasy,' says eBay CEO - im sticking with this guy.

Its all just evolution of automation. While the parcel delivery truck is parked in a residential area the driver tools out the back on a lightweight electric buggy delivering heavier stuff while the copter does its work with 'drop' boxes.

http://www.electricbike.com/ups-using-e-trikes-for-delivery-in-germany/
UPSgermany.png

I mostly go with the fantasy conclusion, except that, afterall, FedEx was called a fantasy. I believe it's up there with Hyperloop, just something to talk about to sound cutting edge, MAYBE if things advance quickly we'll see it in our lifetime but not likely. If they work on the drones some and then things happen, well. . . .

So immediately Amazon starts a radio campaign with the Transformers making deliveries. Probably playing into the same fantasy.

DHL are in the drone delivery game as well.
http://slashdot.org/topic/datacenter/amazon-lags-uav-race-as-dhl-tests-drug-delivery-drone/
I think those that see it as a ridiculous type thing that we will be lucky to see in our life time might be seeing it in too much of a general blanket/broad way.
I could imagine it popping up soonish suddenly in some city areas where there is a serious market, and then far more slowly spreading elsewhere.

For courier companies I could imagine this is a bit of an iPhone vs Nokia moment for them, where companies fear that if they just sit back and don't work on the new technology projects all of a sudden there out of their own business.
Good time to be a drone engineer I guess. Maybe they even need lipo enthusiasts :p

Since people were having such fun with this thread and these videos are related, they should go here. The first is the rescue of a downed flier. The kid just HAD to crash into some old ruins I guess in Ireland and get stuck on top, after a week of seeking help the experts from a local RC community went to work. (So these two black guys have the perfect Irish accents, but I guess even there they just gotta say 'Bro.' Gets a little Rasta here and there. 'Ya Mon, ya dunnit baby.')

[youtube]HQQsG-xauAg[/youtube]

The second one is from a series, 'Game of Drones.' Like the RC version of 'Duck Commander.'

[youtube]pl2Z9N4Q82g[/youtube]

Another drone story, (with full video demo at bottom of the page) this one is tasers you. "stun copter," can deliver 80,000 volts of pure projectile terror directly into the skin of an ill-intentioned hoodlum.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/07/stun-copter-video/
Maybe Amazon could use it as a protector drone to ensure safe delivery of packages. :roll:

Now i see where Amazon got their idea from...
And it seems to becoming more popular around the world.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/drones-delivers-drugs-prison-canada-contraband-inmates-526190

..But how long before some smart security team come up with an automated "interceptor" drone to take down these wise guys.?

one of the links here have something about people using drones to drop off drugs in prisons..
They are talking about using some kind of jamming device to stop transmissions for the control.

With many of these new quadcopters, we are talking $400, many have gps functionality, once they loose transmission they will return to base or how ever programmed.. pretty much don't need a transmitter or receiver..

I am sure if they see them doing this they will just shoot them out of the sky.

I wonder how well they can be programmed to evade bullets flying at them

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2014/03/13/drones-to-delivery-drugstore-items-in-the-mission/
For one brief shining moment, commercial drones are now legal in U.S. skies, thanks to a court decision this month that slapped down the Federal Aviation Administration’s attempt to ground them.

A San Francisco company has leaped on the opportunity, gearing up to offer drone delivery of drugstore items in the Mission.

I don't know if civilian piloted drones can fly in US airspace or not.
You bet they can, and they are aaawwwesome dogman, as a fellow pilot I bet you would really get a kick out of it. You can take off from your back yard and pretend you are a bird and fly around the neighborhood and make bird noises and stuff. :D

I just got done building mine; it cost about $400
I used x900 tricopter, multirotor control board, and NTM 20-30s from Hobbyking bringing the actual flying part to about $200.
I used Fatshark Teleporter kit, the kit that lets you see like you are actually in the model cost another $200
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28496__Hobbyking_X900_Tricopter_Glass_Fiber_Multi_Rotor_Frame.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__43057__FatShark_Teleporter_V3_RTF_FPV_Headset_System_w_Camera_and_5_8G_TX.html

Another option would to be just buy a pre-built drone ready to fly right out of the box
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__47013__Turnigy_SK450_Quad_Copter_Powered_By_Multistar_Quadcopter_5X_Package_Mode_2_Ready_to_Fly_.html

Heres a video from Flitetest showing how the Ardupilot control board can fly your stuff around without you even needing to be in control.
[youtube]CZQoGfCKKLo[/youtube]

The Amazon ones will be set up with GPS so basically low-jack for drones.
Seriously I love my drone; I skydive, race cars, scuba dive, fly paragliders and I think the sport of FPV is has to be one of the most awesome sports on the planet!
Check out Team Black Sheep on youtube for all the best FPV videos.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAMZOHjmiInGYjOplGhU38g

Well, the damn drone got lost today. I got this EMail:

Amazon said:
I am writing on behalf of our transportation team. Our driver attempted to deliver Order # however, they were having trouble locating your address. Our driver is not sure if your address is N or S.

I EMailed back it was the same place they brought my stuff on Monday. How hard could it be?

19nlook.jpg

I know here in AUS, you cannot fly FPV more further than line of site...
lots of people do it anyway..

I have my video rx outside, I ran a line into the TV and now I can sit on my couch and fly around my street..

Tested the Tx Will transmit about 300 meters through mutiple house's/wifi with no signal loss

has anyone tried to shoot it out of the air yet? that would happen in minutes here.

they are using autonomous drones to fly the pipeline right of ways now in alaska. less risk for the pilots too.

Kids have kicked balls close to it, but its so easy to hit full throttle and avoid..

I bet my neighbours get pissed, I did see police coming in the street... just drove around, maybe they saw it from a far distance i dunno.

I have gone with big props and slower motors, its more quiet.. you cant really hear it unless i fly acrobatic hi speed stuff sounds like a jet.. just hovering around you cant notice it 5meters away really...but im concious of it.

yeah, mines open source, I use multiwii which is the most widely used i believe..

I have these features for a $70 board.
Stable mode
Acro/stable mode
altitude hold
gps hold
gps home
waypoint's upto 255
follow me
auto landing
gimbal stabilization
bluetooth
Fail safe fence e.g. you set to 100 meters and you fly 100 meters away it will return to home.

that's just the basics + way more

Yesterday I attended the 2014 Father’s Day weekend Washington Brewers Festival at King County’s Marymoor Park in Redmond, WA not too far from where I live. This is the biggest fest of the year: Lots of brewers and beers in attendance – good stuff! Imagine a very large social gathering of beer geeks quaffing beers hawked under huge colorful tents, surrounded by tall evergreens, with a soulful band kicking out R&B, The Dead, and so forth. The sky was bright, though cool and cloudy and sometimes spitting a little moisture at us. This time of year, the chance of getting nice weekend weather is at best 50/50. The place was packed!

In the midst of this mix I heard a thin light whispering buzz overhead, my ears being attuned to odd frequencies – and the motion caught mine eyes: No one else saw it, the drone hovering about 40 feet up. Very stable, moving with deliberant intent from corner to corner, observing this and that. It was about 16 inches square, four props, with green and red LEDs underneath (presuming navigational aids) and a steady cam about the size of my hand hanging beneath.

I pointed it out to my pal as soon as I found it, clapping and waving to get its’ attention, and it came back thrice to observing me, Me, ME! That was odd I suppose but then – I was the only one that saw it. Even after pointing it out, no one seemed to care. Very stealth it was. Finally it left after I gave it a thumbs-up (with the intent to shame it away). What else could it have been used for but to espy out activities. Fortunately the beer in the PNW is rather hoppy and we like it that way. There were no fights, no altercations, no fisticuffs, though without a doubt a large lot of loud talk in the mix of kids and prams… all very tame and happy 8)

I’m still looking for video on the web so see if it was part of news-coverage.

Buzzed off, KF

Seriously dude?? extensible, open-source. Looks really amazing. Thanks for that. So, are you using one of those?

No, I'm using a cheapie $15 control board, but I am envious of the Ardupilot. I am using 5.8 ghz for my video signal so if I dip below a hill or something my video snows out on me and I can't see. With the Ardu Pilot you flip a switch when this happens and your copter just flies itself back to safety; in my situation I give it a lot of throttle cross my fingers and hope I get high enough in the sky for the video signal to come back.

My tricopter isn't loud; like Nechaus was saying, big slow spinning props, airplane style drones are louder and a bit more ominous as they tend to fly along at 50mph or so (or at least mine does).

The 250 size multicopters like the Blackout are getting to be pretty popular, they are just big enough to heft a Go pro and FPV gear around and they are super fast and nimble compared to your large sized multirotor. They are small enough you can fly them through trees and stuff.

IMG_3980_resize.JPG

nechaus said:
one of the links here have something about people using drones to drop off drugs in prisons..
They are talking about using some kind of jamming device to stop transmissions for the control.

People have been doing that for decades in prisons without drones. Put up nets like what proper prisons have and the problem is solved.

have you tried 4s on that thing yet? I bet it would go like a rocket

Yeah, just like e-bikes it's the ol wattage game. You can get the same wattage by running high amps low volts or low amps high volts.

I use a 4s system because I am cheap and want to share batteries with my also 4s rc airplane, but a properly set up 2s setup should give you the same performance as a 4s system.
Also FPV racing is apparently a thing now. I mean what’s cooler than racing an Imperial speeder through the woods of Endor, why nothing frankly, but racing through the woods of Earth with a bunch of your buddies comes pretty close. I may compete in the next FPV racing event.

Back