Another RG250 with Colossus Motor

cool I will be interested to see how the controller handles it once you up the power.

Nice video. Looks like the Colossus is nearly ready to perform to the max. 8) 8) Good job.

I said it ten times and i ll say it again : Splint and Arlo are firkkin awsome guys !!!! Guess i know who are the only two people that will be distributors for that region ;) i dont give a damn about any other option .. ;)

markobetti said:
I said it ten times and i ll say it again : Splint and Arlo are firkkin awsome guys !!!! Guess i know who are the only two people that will be distributors for that region ;) i dont give a damn about any other option .. ;)
Thanks marko. It is a good idea to have someone who knows the motor inside and out and how to run it selling it.
Whats the possiblility of getting it as a kit without wire? And whats the possibility of having it would with thicker wire from the factory? The 36awg strands are loose and that lowers inductance! We need as much inductance as possible. Most controlers like >120uH in a phase of a motor and collossus has 8uH

markobetti said:

Thanks very much :)

So do we get samples of the new production run :mrgreen:
Seriously this motor is awesome on the bike, working next weekend to up the amps and power and do a couple of speed measured runs.

Arlo1 said:
markobetti said:
Thanks marko. It is a good idea to have someone who knows the motor inside and out and how to run it selling it.
Whats the possiblility of getting it as a kit without wire? And whats the possibility of having it would with thicker wire from the factory? The 36awg strands are loose and that lowers inductance! We need as much inductance as possible. Most controlers like >120uH in a phase of a motor and collossus has 8uH

Arlo , the price without and with windings is the same so if somebody wants different windings its better to take motor as it is ; test it and if he wants winds it alone since factory doesent have time to make windings like scorpion factory does it . And anyway i still dont think its that hard for controller ; 36 fet- working and tested , splinter kelly working, my kelly - working, new sinewave contrl - will work - i think well check it at saturday....

SplinterOz said:
markobetti said:

Thanks very much :)

So do we get samples of the new production run :mrgreen:
Seriously this motor is awesome on the bike, working next weekend to up the amps and power and do a couple of speed measured runs.

I would me very happy if we could send samples , but what i think we will do is to get them at minimal price as i did before for you and arlo - thats the best we can do right now ... But first things first : we are waiting for graphs and data generated by motor at technical center .. ..and also checking the sinewave cntrl. . Well get over details this month . Splint , you set the Kelly to tourque mode ? Do you still use 4:1 reduction ?

Kelly in torque mode and 60% motor current (300amp).
13 tooth front to 54 tooth rear. 4.15 ratio.

Outer diameter of tire is 1.9 metres (from memory).

Pulls like a 110cc Honda at the moment. Probably due to the limited battery and motor current and the tallish gearing.

If you can do a "good price" I will be happy with that.

BTW I have fielded two questions from Europe on this forum that I have directed to you. :)

markobetti said:
I would me very happy if we could send samples , but what i think we will do is to get them at minimal price as i did before for you and arlo - thats the best we can do right now ... But first things first : we are waiting for graphs and data generated by motor at technical center .. ..and also checking the sinewave cntrl. . Well get over details this month . Splint , you set the Kelly to tourque mode ? Do you still use 4:1 reduction ?

Hiya Marko,
Did you get my PM?. I was asking about your motor and the availability. I need one :D to play with.

markobetti said:
And anyway i still dont think its that hard for controller ; 36 fet- working and tested , splinter kelly working, my kelly - working, new sinewave contrl - will work - i think well check it at saturday....
Yeh but its a shame to run with these little controllers. We need a 50kw controller for it. Then we can see the real power! We need epic phase amps! Im working on it buddy ;)

Arlo1 said:
markobetti said:
And anyway i still dont think its that hard for controller ; 36 fet- working and tested , splinter kelly working, my kelly - working, new sinewave contrl - will work - i think well check it at saturday....
Yeh but its a shame to run with these little controllers. We need a 50kw controller for it. Then we can see the real power! We need epic phase amps! Im working on it buddy ;)

:D I have worked on it but need a motor to test it :wink:

Gwhy. Post your controller build on my not simple diy controller thread.

gwhy! said:
Arlo1 said:

I will post all details when Im happy with it.. :D
Can you pm me how its going and any details?

Gwhy, this is the last thing you need! LOL! Your friggin little $50 motor does the same speed this big one does! If you get a hold of it you'll kill yourself! HAHA!

EPIC build here mate!! I would LOVE to do something like this, but I am barely on a bicycle budget, let alone a Motorcycle!

gwhy! said:
Arlo1 said:

I will post all details when Im happy with it.. :D
Please.... I will give you a good deal when I am a North american collossus dealer!

Ok just a few tweaks. I put on the timing adjuster and have reduced the amp draw at full rpm. I have also changed the motor current settings and gained a little more acceleration and speed. Now uses about 100amps (battery) and gets up to about 85km/h. I should be getting the battery mounting gear soon. Then we should be cooking with gas :)

This will require a test ride tomorrow, you know :)

See you about 11 am or midday?

Here is the bike running.

Note the 1030 is the battery Amps multiplied by 10, using a neat gizmo from Zeva to drive the tacho.

So for the hard of seeing...
78km/h
67 Volts (boy these headways sag)
103 amps

This makes for 6.9Kw for 78Km/h not too bad.
file.php

The guy that has working with me on the design and fab work has given me the first draft of the battery layout.
I am going to be running 120 10Ah Headway cells in at 24S5P setup. Due to the constraints of the frame I will be building the pack as a "stepped" pack with a double width section and a single width section.

Four plates will be created to hold the cells. The inner plates will hold the ends of the single cells and support the middle of the double width cells.

Attachments

• batterymounts.jpg
    batterymounts.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,205
SplinterOz said:
The guy that has working with me on the design and fab work has given me the first draft of the battery layout.
I am going to be running 120 10Ah Headway cells in at 24S5P setup. Due to the constraints of the frame I will be building the pack as a "stepped" pack with a double width section and a single width section.

Four plates will be created to hold the cells. The inner plates will hold the ends of the single cells and support the middle of the double width cells.

I like the idea for holding cells, and also the motor mount - i dont know if i said this before, but that cnc design is designed nicelly . Your design or tool-mans ?

markobetti said:
I like the idea for holding cells, and also the motor mount - i dont know if i said this before, but that cnc design is designed nicelly . Your design or tool-mans ?

The fabrication work is being done by a local company Mobile Fabrications. Luke there has done all the design work and either at his shop or his contacts all the work is being done. Toolman2 is helping with all the motor and controller setup. Without them the whole build would be sh*t.

Luke has a great eye for the design and layout.

Back