Another RG250 with Colossus Motor

markobetti said:
REALLY ? well done Luke. If its open info ; what was the price for that piece of art ?

Luke has been doing a lot of his time for free as he likes this stuff and doesn't get enough. Getting the 4 plates CNC'd out of the plastic and the material will be about $780AUD. Luke has spent about 5 hours or so at normally $100AUD an hour.

So far all the work Mobile Fabrications has done (Sand Blast and powder coat the wheels, design and build motor mount, design and build sprocket carrier, design and build rear disk carrier) has been about $1700AUD. Not cheap but much better quality than I can do.

That motor mount is a work of art to see in person.

The headway cell holder design looks great too. Have you settled on a material to do them in?

Great progress Tony!

I went over on the weekend and got to see it in person, also got to meet Chris and his bike. Only got to see Tony's bike in action though as Chris and Tony were de-agniing Chris's bike.

I was very impressed to see Tony's bike in action, it is going to turn heads around quiet old Canberra I dare say (amongst motorcycle enthusiasts anyway). The Colussus is an impressive motor.

I felt very emasculated by a Colussus and Twin Agni bikes with my 3kw frock Greyborg. Great stuff.

Phil.

SplinterOz said:
markobetti said:
REALLY ? well done Luke. If its open info ; what was the price for that piece of art ?

Luke has been doing a lot of his time for free as he likes this stuff and doesn't get enough. Getting the 4 plates CNC'd out of the plastic and the material will be about $780AUD. Luke has spent about 5 hours or so at normally $100AUD an hour.

So far all the work Mobile Fabrications has done (Sand Blast and powder coat the wheels, design and build motor mount, design and build sprocket carrier, design and build rear disk carrier) has been about $1700AUD. Not cheap but much better quality than I can do.

wow. Thats pricey. I love the motor mount though.

Do have the space for machine tools at home. You probably could a got a decent size lathe and mill and machined your own parts manually. I tried to manually make as much possible. Save so much money, I have access to huge lathes and mills though, which is a great bonus.

Thanks for the compliments on the work, I will pass them on to Luke.

I do have some room at home for tools, but I think buying a lathe, mill, drill press, 3d software etc to build one bike would not be economical. My machining skills are limited at best so I would probably use twice the materials and I will still have to seek help for the design work.

If my plan was to build multiple bikes or do continuous improvement on this bike then buying the gear might be worth it, however I want a nice electric bike to ride every day and other than the Zero none are on sale in Australia.

Today I got my new front disc brakes from Metalgear up in Queensland. They take the mounts from mine and attach new rotors. They look good and make me feel a lot better about the braking setup.

New Discs by Splinter, on Flickr

I have also fitted a temp sensor into the motor that will work with the Kelly controller. Originally this prototype had a cheap thermistor that was wired incorrectly. The new sensor is amongst the coils and should detect the temperature very accurately. I have also recovered the wired coming out of the motor for all the sensor wires.

New Temp Sensor by Splinter, on Flickr

New Temp Sensor by Splinter, on Flickr

So far for this motor I have repositioned all the Hall sensors, replaced the temp sensor, rerun the sensor wires, and changed all the bearings. I will be re-assembling it for the last time over the next week (work permitting) and it will be mounted in the bike never to be removed again (unless I get a production version soon).

Sorry, I must have missed it. Which Kelly controller are you using for the big colossus? I'm guessing that if it can handle that motor, it should definitely be able to handle my 7kw colossus motor.

SplinterOz said:
I am using the KBL72501B controller from Kelly, 500amp peak 72 volts nominal. Seems to be handling things well. :)
NOTE: I did get the High Speed option.
Come on crank it up all ready! :mrgreen: I want to see someone make this motor rip!

Cool thanks for the info. I think maybe I'll try something like that and see if it will handle the smaller colossus.

Ok after weeks of work and jury duty getting in the way I have finally got to the next step....

The battery mounting plates have arrived and I will be constructing the pack over the weekend.
Just to show how this will mount up I took some photos today...

Battery Mounts by Splinter, on Flickr

That should give you an idea on how the pack goes together and how it will mount up.

Thats very slick SplinterMaN! Lookin' forward as i am sure you are, of
seeing this dropped into the frame!

KiM

SplinterOz said:
Ok after weeks of work and jury duty getting in the way I have finally got to the next step....

The battery mounting plates have arrived and I will be constructing the pack over the weekend.
Just to show how this will mount up I took some photos today...

That should give you an idea on how the pack goes together and how it will mount up.

WOW, BEAUTIFULL ... Splint....Really clever

OK I was wrong about the material. Luke first talked to the material suppliers about it and they were talking Acetyl. What they settled on however is Polyethylene (High-density polyethylene I believe). I will get the invoice from the guys next week and confirm. They were supplied the weight of the cells and the number of mounting points and this was the recommendation.

All four plates weight 3.6kg each plate is 15mm thick.

As much as they sag, are heavy and low energy density, Headways sure are easy to put together. Looking good mate!

Ok so I have the bike home with some threaded rod, bolt and spacers to work out the layout of all the components on the bike.

Here is a shot of the way the plates have been machined to hold the batteries in place.

Battery Mount Size Layout by Splinter, on Flickr

Note the spacers so all the pressure is not on the batteries themselves.

See they will mount straight through.

Setup with all batteries in place so I can calculate and drawup the electrical connections.

Bike still feels light easy to move and lift of the stand etc....

Tony, she looks awesome! Very neat job :)
You still have room for an on-board charger under the tank? (Which I still haven't sent you the mould for :x after Christmas OK?)

Or is that where the controller goes? Either way, it looks very professional.

Current plan has the BMS and Controller under the tank... 12v system behind the battery pack.. Charger somewhere if I can fit it.. otherwise off board.
That is the main reason it is home so I can layout all of the other components. Pieces of the jigsaw are fitting together.

Now I have the bike and the battery pack back home I am working on how I will fit all the components into the system.

Here is a shot showing the BMS, contactors and fuse. They will all fit nicely on top of the centre battery plates.

BMS and controller layout by Splinter, on Flickr

Now I have replaced the BMS etc with a plastic box of about the same size to see if the controller fits... and yep it looks good.

The tank (hollowed out) will fit well over all that. I plan to put all the 12v gear in the gap above the rear shock absorber.

Any comments? Do you think it will work that way?

Back