Any way to slow my scooter way-the-heck down?

tried the limiter wire. it slowed the scooter way down, maybe even too much. at the same time, the throttle dead zone increased to about half the total, if not a bit more. i'm 7/10 flummoxed. ordered some more pots to do as TC suggests above, though if the motor isn't using halls, i'm not sure that'll make any difference. also have that throttle on the way. we shall see.

i might have to take everything apart and start from scratch.

does irritate me a bit that even tho the controller and throttle were sold as a matched set and the throttle shows 3 speeds, it doesn't look to me like the controller has a 3-speed switch.

onward, wobbily, with furrowed brow.

does irritate me a bit that even tho the controller and throttle were sold as a matched set and the throttle shows 3 speeds, it doesn't look to me like the controller has a 3-speed switch.

I'm speculating that you're referring to a controller and DISPLAY set in the above quote...?
After a bit of research, it seems to me that the MODE settings ( Low, Medium, and High) indicated on the display refer to PAS levels of power output and not overall output.

s-l1600.png

My first suggestion of the throttle, if your proficient with a multi-meter. Would be to check its output to see if it really is a throttle issue or if you need to look elsewhere... refer you to the "Throttle Guide"...

As far as if the motor is using its halls or not for sensored output.
Try disconnecting the hall sensor wiring connector and seeing if you notice a difference in behavior.

If you'd like to check the motor's hall's operation themselves directly, with or without the controller connected. See this thread...

Testing BLDC motor's Phase Wiring - Hall Sensors and Wiring.

Spoiler alert... Multimeter use is required.

Amperage usage with the motor in the air unloaded during testing at different throttle positions would be informative.

let's see ... yes, you are right, i heard back from the seller and the levels do indeed refer to PAS. good call and catch! as to the halls: i don't think i have them connected at all, and at this point, i hate to go looking back into the wiring if i can help it. also: i am not at all proficient w a multimeter, even though i have a way fancy one.

now, as to your diagram in post #22. i hooked up 10k pots as indicated but only pot #2, to the red wire, seemed to have any effect, taking down the top speed to a happy place and slowing down the take off. splicing a pot into the ground wire didn't seem to have much effect at all, and i even went down to a 100 ohm pot with it. i'd hoped to reduce the throttle dead zone at the start but no go or at least not much. so i took off pot #1 and left pot #2, leaving the scooter in much better shape for me than twas when i first wrote. there's still some hesitation as i get going but it's not too bad and i think i can live with it.

so, that's where things stand. thanks for your help, and i thank all others who weighed in, as well.!

Glad to help, and hearing that you’re in a much better control position.

The use of a correctly operating sensored system would help benefit start-up from a stopped position. Be glad to help with any multimeter usage and troubleshooting, if desired.

To be clear, when reducing start-up dead band between full off throttle and when the motor starts. Resistance is added in series to the ground wire.
This may seem a bit counter intuitive, as the more resistance added, results in higher starting throttle voltage output. I.E. closer voltage to where the motor starts putting out power=less amount of throttle turn before motor start.
You mention going to a 100 ohm pot, which would be in the opposite direction of required resistance. Pots have different specs on how many turns it takes to go from o ohms to 10000 ohms. The ones I use take like 20 turns. So I recommend you check the terminals with a meter and check the turns, and where you are at resistance wise, before hooking up the #1 pot in series. This is why a throttle with a bad ground can go to full power output with no turn of the handle. So be careful! ;)

Happy riding.

Regards,
T.C.

thanks again very much. might take me a bit to get back at it, but when i do, i'll report back ... prolly with more questions.

You can buy an e-bike tester to ez check the halls for now and future.
They make them with English printed on them and with English instructions but I'm not a conversant sure which ones are which as it's easy to get the instructions in a Chinese book.
Try to find the tester that sells you the manual in English. Helpful.

Last edited:
on my bike i have the throttle signal output going to a box with 3 positions 1 strait thru into the controller pos 2 via 1 diode so .6v signal drop and pos 3 via 2x silicon diodes so 1.2v drop,it helps me chose power or max range.

Back