Anybody know where to find higher powered bafang mid drive kits labeled at 250w?

ibra2672

1 W
I was planning to buy a 750w bafang mid drive motor. The only problem is that the numbers on the controller of the motor give away the model, which could be easily be discovered to be more than 250w (EU regulations).
So i was wondering if there were any seller who might have mislabeled bafang kits so that I can get one and limit it to 25km/h to avoid any trouble.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163716681923?hash=item261e4650c3:g:s-4AAOSwqaJc87SV&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4F1V2hX%2BjjIi3II67v7IgXdxXTgnFsiPj3gT7aYcI2cMAC1OFAJMTYCMrlCC4VOELOem%2B2%2B0n%2FAu0%2BhrhXgkrDFhI%2FB%2B3ucFoXvHhAlQQyVC9usmUq5jZ2cCVLKZqYLJQUSPiqeL13qCtlQ%2BhqhPjz9jwsHscZ8sxyeG2f0dG7WW0IpV%2Fb05q1j6VeVK1NLh%2BJ1Kw2IBtNlbOikoPtUinq5WRNJzalmVNJQwtr5de79WiBCy4yAzGZtXZ6ZW5vCqO2jG6fNSGUqzP0Fw%2BjYJY%2BrjAareyGhq%2FLXWmxldgK6s%7Ctkp%3ABFBM6LDwnrdh

ibra2672 said:
I guess that's a solution but it can be easily discovered

I don't think I could enjoy ebiking as much as I do if I had to constantly deal with that paranoia. Maybe stick with 250W rather than worrying every time you throw your leg over the saddle.

I have a fat bike i wanted to converter with the bafang kit. It has a 100mm bottom bracket, meaning that it's only compatible with 750w/1000w mid drive motor.
You're very right about me being paranoid. It's only because they take away your bike and give you a big fine if they see more than 250w.
I know it's very unlikely to happen but I can never be too sure.

ibra2672 said:
So can any other mislabelling, even from the factory.

If you don't want to be discovered, don't do something that they can discover. ;)

amberwolf said:
ibra2672 said:
So can any other mislabelling, even from the factory.

If you don't want to be discovered, don't do something that they can discover. ;)

Luckily we have the 4th amendment here, and as long as I'm moving my legs around, I don't think there's probable cause to stop me in the first place. If the cops can just stop bikes randomly and seize the bike without probable cause, then I'm glad I don't live in that country. I just move my legs around a little when around the cops or other people, and even at ebike speeds, never get a second glance.

ibra2672 said:
Even from the factory?? :shock: How would they that it's been mislabeled from there?

Then why did you ask the question in the subject line? You asked a high powered kit labeled at 250W. How is that anything but mislabeling?

I live in Italy and in some parts they just stop every bike that passes by. I don't know how often they do that though. It never happened where I live.

The cops only care about the parameters printed from the factory on the motor. I think that as long as it's written that it's 250w, the motor might as well be 1000w and they wouldn't care.

ibra2672 said:
Even from the factory?? :shock: How would they that it's been mislabeled from there?
How would they know it's been mislabelled by you?

The only real way is by testing it.

If they dont' test it, the wouldn't know that anyone had done this.

If you're that worried about it, you would be best off to stick with the stuff that completely complies with the laws in your area, whatever those are. (which means you would also want to test the system per the requirements and methods in that law, to ensure it complies, so that you won't get in trouble, since they probably wouldn't care whether you knew it was illegal or not, it'd still be illegal and you'd still have the consequences the law in question states, whatever those are.

ibra2672 said:
Thanks for the advice

I think in general, for DIY ebikes, riders are good with the "law" being to ride responsibly. Most would prefer that other ebikers ride responsibly as well, and not draw attention that could result in more restrictions. Sure, there's all kinds of laws out there, and to tell you the truth, I have no idea at all what they are in my area; all I know is if I ride responsibly and don't tick people off or ride like a maniac, then I'm good with that. Am I breaking any laws? Possibly. Likely? Probably? But, I'm not going to try to fool anyone by adding fake labels to my bike. That would be two laws broken. I don't think many DIY ebikers are doing anything proactive to fool the authorities, so maybe that's why there's not a lot of advice on the subject. Now if you're planning on riding like a maniac, and just want a label to talk yourself out of getting your bike taken away, then maybe not the right place so seek advice.

I appreciate your opinion. My plan was to limit the bike to 25km/h, which complies with the law and have just a bit more power for steep hills that i plan to climb with the e-bike. Also if bafang made a 250w mid drive 100mm bottom bracket that would solve the issue. Does anybody know some mid drive kits that are 250w 100mm?

ibra2672 said:
Also if bafang made a 250w mid drive 100mm bottom bracket that would solve the issue. Does anybody know some mid drive kits that are 250w 100mm?

I believe the TSDZ2 can be made to fit a fat frame using a bottom bracket extension kit.
https://cycles.eco/products/tsdz2-upgrade-bottom-bracket-axle-extension-in-92mm-100mm-120mm?variant=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy4xwdMMhOw

ibra2672 said:
I have a fat bike i wanted to converter with the bafang kit. It has a 100mm bottom bracket, meaning that it's only compatible with 750w/1000w mid drive motor.
You're very right about me being paranoid. It's only because they take away your bike and give you a big fine if they see more than 250w.
I know it's very unlikely to happen but I can never be too sure.

All BBS01 and BBS02 motors can be kitted for 100mm and 120mm bottom brackets.

https://california-ebike.com/collections/fat-bike

Bafang bbs 250w 25 a controller100nm

https://www.brightonebikes.co.uk/store/p112/Bafang%C2%AE_BBS01B-ETM_36V_250W_motor_kit_%28DPC-18_display%29_with_LG_MH1_cell_16Ah_downtube_battery.html

1boris said:
Bafang bbs 250w 25 a controller100nm

https://www.brightonebikes.co.uk/store/p112/Bafang%C2%AE_BBS01B-ETM_36V_250W_motor_kit_%28DPC-18_display%29_with_LG_MH1_cell_16Ah_downtube_battery.html

He needs 100mm not 100Nm.

Back